Welcome to ThinkVail – we hope you find this article about the best touring motorcycle accessories helpful.
Motorcycle touring adventures in Colorado are big, bold and beautiful. These routes boast breathtaking views, winding treacherous roads, steep drops, falling rocks, inclement weather, unpredictable wildlife and many, many more unforeseen challenges but, it also promises a once-in-a-lifetime adventure that you will never forget.
No matter where your next exploit takes you, whether it’s Colorado or anywhere else in the world, here are some tips and must-have gear to make your ride more fun, safer and easier than ever before.
Suspension-Before any big, multi-day trip check and adjust your suspension. This is especially true if you are riding “pillion” (with a passenger) or if your bike is loaded up with lots of gear. Additional weight affects sag on the suspension. Adjusting the sag to match your travel weight will improve your bike’s ride and handling.
Helmet-For a multi-day, multi-state(or country) tour wear a full-face helmet, many states require a lid of some sort and a full-face helmet offers some key benefits to a touring rider. They keep you warmer and dryer than any other style, and greatly reduce wearisome noise.
Maps-Plan stops ahead of time and know if restaurants, grocery stores, campgrounds, mechanic shops, etc. are close-by. Use something like Butler Motorcycle Maps to find out tons of information about the route and what to expect.
If you’re traveling off the beaten path, and out of cell range, download maps in advance, because without cell service your GPS won’t work.
Take your time to enjoy the view, you may never be this way again, make sure you enjoy it!
Fuel – Plan your gas stops in advance. Out in the western United States it can be far and few between gas stations. You may also opt to have a second fuel container on board, just in case.
Flat tires – are a pain in the butt, but they happen. Carry a small repair kit and an inflation tool, so you’re not caught unprepared.
10 Adventure Touring Motorcycle Accessories
If you’re planning on a big, multi-day touring adventure this summer, you are going to need a big bag to store all of your gear. This is the one. It is expandable and roomy enough to fit everything you need for a long road trip.
- Conveniently expandable, bag expands 21/2″ to fit all your cargo.
- Fully-adjustable, mounting system goes on in seconds over any size and style sissy bar pad; and once adjusted, never needs to be adjusted again.
- Rigid construction holds bag shape even when empty.
- Roll bag included for extra cargo capacity. Did I mention this bag will hold EVERYTHING?
- Top cargo straps allow you to easily strap on jacket or rain gear.
- Lots of straps for easy handling; top carry handle, backpack straps and shoulder strap makes it easy to put the bag on and take it off when you need to.
- Internal pocket organizer keeps your gear neat, orderly and easy to find.
- Lockable zipper pulls and buckles adds additional security to the bag
- Constructed of 1200-denier synthetic leather
- Completely UV-resistant, water-resistant and wind-resistant
- Maintenance-free synthetic leather keeps this bag looking good for years.
- Dimensions: 20″ W x 21″ H x 121/2″ D; expands to 15″ D;
- Measures 3,200 cubic inches and can expand to 3,500 cubic inches
- Made in the USA
Biker Jeans with Protection
Touring is all about discovering new places and exploring new horizons so when it’s time to get off your bike, just remove the hip and knee protectors and enjoy a casual jean that is easy to hike, walk and go downtown in. Convenient, comfortable and stylish all in one package.
- Pant material is spandex fabric and 14oz. Denim for comfort & durability.
- Liner with Dupont Kevlar Fiber at knee and hip for added protection.
- CE approved, removable knee Protector and Hip Protector included.
- Thigh zipper allows knee protectors to be added or removed and offers an air vent mesh to keep you cool and comfortable.
- Knee protectors are adjustable depending on your height.
- Calf zipper stabilizes the knee protectors when riding on a motorcycle.
- Protectors can be easily removed for casual jeans.
- Manufactured in South Korea so sizing runs small
- Available in both men & women styles and sizing
The empty space on the top of the gas tank is the perfect place for additional storage for essentials you want to keep close at hand like cell phone, water, camera, wallet, sunscreen, sunglasses, heated glove liners and more. The Cortech magnetic tank bag is the perfect answer.
- 18-liter, streamlined, low profile bag stays out of the way but is conveniently expandable to hold everything that you need and easily within reach.
- Included water bladder means you will never be caught without water.
- Internal organizer keeps your gear neat and easy to find.
- Hideaway backpack straps
- Removable and replaceable snapped map pocket
- Hidden external pocket for eyeglass miscellaneous storage
- Reflective piping makes you more visible to other drivers
- Two built-in sip tube/headphone exit ports
- Integrated stowaway rain cover, with clear window included
- Two-tone red and black soft lining interior is cushy inside so it protects the contents.
- Available in magnetic or strap mounting versions
- 8 strong magnets and grippy bottom creates a strong hold; you can’t simply slide and re position it– you must pull it off entirely and re position.
- Metal zipper pulls easy to grab when wearing gloves.
Touring is all about safety and being prepared for the worst Mother Nature can dish out but if you can do it in style, then that’s so much better. The Tournmaster Transition is an amazing 3-season touring jacket that offers protection from the elements while looking super stylish.
- Heavy-duty Carbolex 600 denier outer shell material
- 1680 denier Ballistic in the elbows
- Pipeline venting with pinch vents provides excellent ventilation when open and waterproofing when closed
- Patented Aqua-Barrier under-the-helmet hood to help eliminate seepage in the collar area and down your back. When not in use it hides under the collar.
- Action back rear panel for extra comfort
- Available in an extensive variety of sizes
- Easily transitioning from one climate to another
- Perfect for a cold early morning ride that turns into a humid afternoon ride,
- Pipeline vents on the chest, underarms, and back maximize airflow.
- Rain guard barrier, and waterproof zippers on the Pipeline vents, and the removable insulated liner will keep you dry and cozy.
These pants are perfect for protection from whatever Mother Nature’s throws at you. They can tackle the harshest winter snows or a heavy, all-day downpour.
- Outer shell constructed in 500 denier
- Pants feature Cordura fabric with Ballistic Airflow mesh panels
- Versatile over or under rain pant
- Completely waterproof
- Full side-leg zippers extend to waistband to make these pants easy to get on over boots.
- Removable and adjustable height CE Motion Flex armor at knees keeps you protected.
- Cool mesh airflow lining keeps you comfortable
- Reflective piping adds visibility to other drivers especially at night and low light.
- Available in black & gray
- Available in both men and women’s style and sizes
- 3-4 season pants for every weather condition you may encounter
- Can be worn as a standalone riding pant or as a full over pant.
- Equipped with a “TWO LAYER SYSTEMS DESIGN”, this style includes a removable wind and waterproof rain pant so you are prepared no matter the season or weather conditions.
If you’re an adventurous rider who rides in serious rain or cold weather, you will want a dedicated rain suit to keep you warm, dry and comfortable no matter how though the conditions. The Firstgear motorcycle full Thermosuit answers this problem beautifully.
- 210 denier Hypertex material promises 100% waterproof capability
- 120-gram polyester insulation keeps you warm no matter how low the Mercury sinks.
- Full storm flap closures on zippers, pockets and cuffs keeps out wind, rain and snow.
- Cargo storage pockets keeps essentials close at hand while keeping them dry and protected.
- Elasticized ankle closures and adjustable waist
- A variety of sizes ranging from small to 3XL
- Completely windproof and waterproof.
- Reflective strip on the back increases visibility in low light or while driving at night.
- Tall fleece lined collar keeps your neck warm and dry.
- 2-year limited warranty
- The Thermosuit from Firstgear is a waterproof, fully lined suit that offers optimal comfort in cold conditions.
- Large, bulky cut is ideal for both men and women
The RAM cell phone mount is commercial grade mount that will hold your phone safely. Do not use your phone while driving but it is nice to have maps and weather alerts where they can be easily seen, hands-free and less of a distraction.
- Spring-loaded holder expands and contracts to perfectly fit your device
- High strength composite and stainless steel, rustproof construction is durable and long-lasting.
- Rubber coated tips will hold device firm and stable while protecting it from being scuffed from holder.
- Includes a rubber tether for open cockpits and extreme environments. The tether is an additional rubber strap that holds your phone to the mount.
- Compatible devices include Apple iPhone, IPhone 6, 6s, 6plus, 6s plus without case. Apple iPod Touch (All Models) and Apple iPod (G1 through G5), Samsung Devices Galaxy S6, S6 Edge, S6 Edge plus and S7 with or without Bumper, Skin or Case.
- There is also other RAM mounts that accommodate larger phones.
- Mount is designed with a 1″ diameter patented rubber ball and socket system that has adjustment points at both ends of the double socket arm, which allows for the perfect viewing angle.
Heated gear, is a game changer, but that being said, heated liners can be quite confusing.
Heated liners plug into your motorcycle battery and you can control multiple liners with a troller. Once you get it dialed in, you will wonder how you ever rode without them.
Liners reduce the need for bulky insulation so you won’t feel like the Pillsbury Dough Boy. All liners are available in both men and women’s styles and sizing.
- Fit under most non-heated winter riding motorcycle gloves
- Soft, polyester and spandex gloves stretches to fit your hand perfectly
- Warm, light and thin, these gloves plug into the heated jacket liner
- Keeps your hands cozy and warm
- 2 year limited warranty
- Available in 90-watt and 65-watt versions.
- Designed to be plugged into a DC power source or battery pack.
- Exclusive dual-zone heating system
- The liner is rated at 110 watts at 12.8 volts
- A popular heated jacket liner that has been loved by riders for years
- Form-fitted and designed to be worn close to the body for optimal heat transfer
- Integrated wiring connections for gloves makes keeping your body and hands warm a breeze.
- Packs into its own zippered pouch
- Single or Dual wireless remote kit that includes: remote, receiver and battery harness.
- Waterproof remote control can be mounted on the bike or on the person, no wires to limit placement.
- Waterproof receiver can be left in the liner full-time including when washed.
- Sealed switch with tactile on/off and 300 degree rotation providing infinite heat levels between off and full on.
- Color coded knobs and L.E.D.s for tactile and visual feedback makes it easy to adjust heat setting even if it’s in a pocket.
- If lost, a new remote is easily mated to the existing receiver.
- Receiver is thin, flat, waterproof and rubberized for safety.
- Plug compatible with most DC heated products.
- Handles 15 amps at 13 volts with internal reset for overloads & shorts.
- Battery harness made of automotive grade wire that is resistant to oil, acid, water and grime with automotive-style fuse.
- The perfect mate for Firstgear liners especially when mated with Firstgear socks, pants and/or gloves.
- Limited 1-year warranty
These Bluetooth Headsets are soooooo much better than uncomfortable ear buds and it’s a great way to listen to music, answer phone calls, and intercom with another cyclist or your passenger, so you can talk to each other while cruising.
The Sena Bluetooth headset links to your cell phone so you can listen to music, Spotify, answer calls, listen to music and intercom to another rider (or 4) if both (or all) helmets have a unit installed.
- Bluetooth 3.0 allows the transfer of data wirelessly between two devices, such as using a headset to talk on the phone.
- Clear and natural sound quality is not as good as a dedicated wired headset but is pretty decent.
- Holds an 8-hour charge but can be used while charging on road trips to extend battery life
- Individual volume control for each audio source, so each person can adjust the volume to their helmet.
- Firmware is upgradeable
- Comes with mounting bracket for your helmet
- You can pair up to 4 units, so you can keep in the loop with all your buddies in route.
- Can be used as an intercom if each helmet has a unit.
- Single unit and dual unit packages available on Amazon.
When doing multi-day motorcycle tours an individual first aid kit is a must, but as you know, if you’re on a motorcycle you don’t need a first aid kit full of band aids – you need an IFAK that can help stop traumatic blood loss. This kit does just that.
- SWAT-T Tourniquet included to treat severe bleeding effectively and reliably.
- Also, contains QuikClot Advanced Clotting Sponge and other vital elements to control bleeding fast.
- Packed in a tough, waterproof, pocket-sized, easy-to-open Molle pouch
- Items are vacuum-sealed to provide the most amount of sterile bandage and gauze in the smallest packaging possible.
- Easily cut to fit with the included stainless steel bandage shears.
- This kit allows for the immediate stabilization of common automotive injuries while you wait for EMS to arrive
- This is an advanced First Aid Kit so it is advisable to get training on how each of these items work and when to use them from a trained medical provider before using.
- Each Individual First Aid Kit (IFAK) Contains:
- 1 – Black IFAK Bag
- 1 – Trauma pack With Quickclot
- 1 – 7-1/4″ Black Stainless Steel Paramedic Scissors
- 1 – Nasopharyngeal Airways 28FR
- 1 – Pack of Dynalube Sterile Lubricating Jelly
- 1 – 4.5″ x 4.1″ Sterile Primed Gauze Bandage
- 1 – 6″ Israeli Compression Bandage
- 1 – SWAT-T Tourniquet
We hoped you enjoyed the article about Best Adventure Touring Motorcycle Accessories. What is YOUR favorite motorcycle touring accessory? What item can you not live without on the road that makes the trip soooo much better? We would love to hear your thoughts and comments as well as your favorite touring stories. Thanks so much for reading.