Welcome to ThinkVail – we hope you find this article about the best child carrier hiking backpacks helpful.
Nothing is more fun than hitting the trail with your little ones. The key is to find the best child carrier hiking backpack to guarantee that your family adventures are safe, easy and comfortable. In order to find the right carrier for you and your child you will need to identify what type you need. By identifying what features you want and what type of pack you need, you will ensure lots of fun on the trail with the whole family.
Types of Child Carrier Hiking Backpacks
Framed Carriers – the ideal choice when hiking long distances. They are sturdy and more comfortable for both the tot and the parent who is wearing the pack. They also provide storage for essential baby care products as well as other supplies like snacks and water.
Non Framed Carriers – Frameless carriers tend to be less expensive, and are not as supportive or structured, however, they are usually much lighter and can be more versatile.
Type of Hiking
If you’re a serious hiker who wants to roam on long hikes up big mountains, you’ll need a larger, framed carrier with lots of storage. For hikes on easy trails, a day at Disney World or just walking around town then a lightweight frameless carrier will be perfect.
You want good ventilation that keeps your baby cool and comfortable but you also want good airflow through the carrier’s back panel to allow sweat to evaporate for the parent carrying the pack.
Sun & Rain Protection
You should always put sunscreen on your child as well as a hat and sunglasses to protect them from the harsh rays of the sun (especially here, in Vail, Colorado) but many of these carriers include a sun and rain roof that protects your baby from the elements.
Adjustable straps are key for the active family. That way Mom & Dad can trade off carrying the child with just a quick adjustment of straps. Look for wide, nicely padded shoulder straps for comfort.
Your child carrier will also double as a backpack, so if your going on long trips make sure you have plenty of storage for diapers, wipes, sunscreen, snacks and water.
Best Child Carrier Hiking Backpacks
For more than 40 years Osprey has been creating comfortable, durable, high quality packs to help people enjoy hiking and the outdoors. With lots of innovative features Osprey has achieved the same thing with its child carrier hiking backpack. You and your kids will love this pack.
- Lightweight aluminum frame with a durable nylon material pack.
- Frame fully supports the load and provides a stable platform for setting the carrier down.
- Built-in sunshade deploys quickly and easily from a zippered pocket.
- The adjustable Fit-On-The-fly hip belt offers 5 inches of extension on each side for superior load support and comfort.
- Padded, adjustable shoulder straps with sliding sternum strap for excellent load management.
- “AG” (anti-gravity) distributes the child’s weight better and makes it easier to carry, especially on long hikes
- Improved ventilation system features contoured, seamless mesh from the shoulder blades to the lumbar region offers excellent airflow to keep you cooler while wearing the pack.
- Hydration compatible sleeve behind the back panel offers convenient storage of water.
- Adjustable double halo harness and child seat is surrounded by a fully framed and padded cockpit for safety and comfort
- Adjustable padded stirrups offer leg support.
- Removable drool pad is washable.
- Toy attachment loops keep kids entertained.
- Side mesh pockets stores essentials.
- Spacious lower compartment with zip opening offers storage for bulky items and extra gear.
- Lifetime Guarantee
- Capacity: 1587 cu in / 26 liters
- Max Load: 48.5 pounds
- Available in Blue, Black & Green
Kelty offers a range of durably built child carrier hiking backpacks so your family can adventure together. Hauling your precious little cargo on the trail or around town is a breeze while keeping them (and you) ultra-safe and super-comfortable. Kelty has been a leader in innovative, durable packs for the trail for years.
- Lightweight aluminum frame with a durable 420D nylon pack
- The Kelty PerfectFIT Suspension System easily adjusts to fit both mom and dad. Fits torsos ranging from 15.5 – 21 inches.
- Padded shoulder pads with sternum strap
- Adjustable belt to help stabilize weight
- Integrated sunshade, keeps the sun off baby’s face
- 5-point safety harness and padded aluminum roll cage
- Wide seat base and adjustable foot stirrups
- Reservoir pocket can easily accommodate a 2-liter hydration bladder. (bladder not included)
- Exterior zippered pockets for storing snacks, toys, and wipes
- Multi-point grab handles for confident carry
- No sunshade included
- Available in Blue, Green and Black
- Capacity/Size: 26 liters
- Maximum Weight Load: 48.5 lbs.
Thule helps you transport anything you care for safely, easily and in style and that includes your kids. Thule is the perfect choice for outdoor enthusiasts who spend their weekends hiking. Even though this carrier is sturdy, rugged, and durable for its size, the Thule Sapling Elite is one of the lightest framed models on the list.
- Framed carrier is made of 210D Cordura Nylon and 420D Nylon
- Fully adjustable back panel and hip belt for the perfect fit for either parent.
- Load stabilizer straps allow on-the-go adjustments to the backpack’s center of gravity by pulling the child closer to the parent for a more comfortable carry.
- Removable backpack and large zippered compartment provide lots of storage and can be used to house a hydration bladder (not included)
- Breathable back panel offers great airflow and ventilation
- Two quick-access, mesh pockets on the hip belt keep toys and snacks handy.
- Height adjustable seat grows with your kids.
- Included sunshade protects kids from the sun’s harsh rays.
- Mirror include so you can monitor your kiddo while on the trail.
- Dual access loading allows you to load your child from the top or side of the carrier
- Removable stirrups let your little one rest their legs.
- Pack weighs 7.9 lb
- Limited lifetime warranty.
- Maximum Weight Load: 48lbs
- Rain cover is not included but is available
Phil & Teds is an award-winning company from New Zealand that makes awesome juvenile products for active families and their adventures. They have been making kids stuff for over 20 years and are always pushing the envelope to help you get out and explore with your kiddos.
- Sturdy, lightweight internal aluminum frame and low profile pack allows weight to be evenly distributed.
- Ergonomic lumbar support and ultra padded belt for your back & hips
- Integrated and moldable child head & neck support and snug shoulder cradle and stirrups keeps kids safe, secure and comfortable.
- Roomy, zip-off day pack, large side pockets, bottle and key pockets keeps everything organized and close at hand.
- Pack weight: 6.6lbs/3kg
- Hood protects baby from the elements
- Removable PVC wind & rain cover
- Included padded change mat,
- Included mirror to keep an eye on your child
- Carrier folds away and becomes flat for easy storage
- Wipe-clean, waterproof high-grade fabrics are easy to care for.
- Padded, air-tech ventilated mesh panels keep you cool.
- Pop in-and-out stand makes setting down this carrier safe and stable.
- Twin carry handles make lifting a breeze
- Specialized hydration station for your water bladder (water bladder not included)
- Capacity/Size: 30 liters
- Maximum Weight Load: 39.7lbs/18kg
- Available in Red and Grey
This is the trekking backpack for your mountain adventures that you’ve been searching for. With tons of smart features this premium child carrier hiking backpack won’t let you down. Check out all that it offers.
- Flexible spring steel frame and 210 denier nylon pack.
- Color-coded buckles makes it easy to load your kiddo
- Locking kickstand and step-in side entry lets bigger kids get in by themselves
- VariSlide precise back length adjustment system makes it easy to fit either parent.
- VariFlex hip belt provides great load distribution
- Aircomfort system delivers unparalleled ventilation with a mesh net between the child’s seat and the parent’s back lets air flow freely
- Pull-Forward construction and Tri Glide buckles allow you to fine tune carry comfort.
- Adjustable sternum strap
- Height-adjustable seat and adjustable foot rests allows the carrier to grow with your child.
- Plush wraparound chin pad is machine washable.
- Integrated headrest
- Included mirror for a rear-view of the rider.
- Integrated, fold-out sun roof
- Detachable 10 liter daypack can be attach to the chest strap, stored in the carrier’s bottom or removed when needed.
- Large external stretch pockets, integrated key holder, and 2 zippered hip fin pockets provide tons of storage;
- Folding frame for easy transport
- Pack weighs 8 lbs 4 oz
- Capacity/Size: 22 liters
LÍLLÉbaby is a scandinavian company on a mission to empower families with comfortable, innovative products that inspire adventures and nurture the bond between parents and their children. Their innovative designs are smart and make hauling your kids around town a breeze
- Frameless carrier is not for long treks in the mountains but it is perfect for an afternoon at the farmer’s market, a day at Disney World or sightseeing in a new town. Offering 3 ways to carry your kiddos; on the back, on the front or on the hip.
- Ideal for growing toddlers.
- Features a wider and taller torso than most carriers.
- Comfortably carry little ones up to 60 lbs.
- Adjustable side panels widen & narrow the seat for comfortable hip positioning.
- Superior comfort and stability thanks to the unique lumbar support that relieves lower back pressure and distributes weight evenly.
- Breathable mesh fabric provides maximum airflow to keep your child comfortable and cool
- Removable sun hood
- Two pockets to hold baby’s essentials
- Padded adjustable 2-way straps for a comfortable fit
- Maximum Weight Load: 60lbs
- Available in a variety of colors
If you’re looking for an affordable child carrier hiking backpack this is a great option. Not nearly as expensive as some of the other premium name-brand packs on the list this kid hauler still packs a punch. Clevr carriers are thoughtfully designed for comfort, safety, and adventure in mind.
- Lightweight, aluminum frame with 600d oxford cloth pack
- Carrier weighs 5.5 lbs
- Comfortable, padded shoulder straps and hip belt with energy-absorbing lumbar padding.
- Extra large back pocket for baby’s essentials, and two water bottle pockets/holders
- Safety reflective strip across the back pocket keeps you visible in low light conditions.
- Sun/Rain canopy can be removed or folded out of the way.
- Metal stands allow it to sit upright on a flat surface
- Foldable metal stand folds flat for easy storage & portability.
- Maximum Weight Load: 40lbs
- 1 year limited warranty
Boasting 9 carry positions, the HIPSTER™ PLUS 3D baby carrier is the most versatile frameless carrier on the market. Created by MiaMily, an award-winning- swiss based company who launched the Hipster as a successful KickStarter product.
- Frameless Child carrier is SUPER Versatile offering 9 different ways to carry your child including front facing, back and on the hip.
- Featuring natural fabrics & materials
- Self-locking YKK zippers and Duaflex buckles.
- Shoulder strip 3-way lock buckle for extra security and adjustable system, to easily adjust the fit from front and back.
- Ergonomic pack fits all shapes and sizes
- Built in ergonomic hip seat, allows weight to be evenly distribute between the wearer’s hips and shoulders and allows baby to be in a natural sitting position at all times.
- Allows you to carry your child longer, more comfortably and effortlessly.
- Innovative design avoids hip-dysplasia and provide proper seat
- Big, zippered pocket for all baby’s needs Their is also a pocket on the belt for cell phones.
- Breathable mesh keeps baby cool and comfortable
- Simple system is designed for easy on/off
- Maximum Weight Load: 44lbs
We hope you found this article about the best child carrier hiking backpacks helpful. What is you favorite child carrier and why. What is your favorite, must-have features on a child carrier hiking backpack. How does using a child carrier enhance your family adventures? We would love to hear your stories, comments or thoughts. Thanks for reading.