It’s springtime in the Rockies, which means it’s time to put away the skis and snowboards and take out the mountain bikes! Mountain bike season is upon us so let’s get your bike ready to hit the trails. Here is a checklist of must-do maintenance before the season starts and a list of the best mountain bike maintenance tools to get your bike in tip-top shape.
Bike Maintenance Checklist
Clean your Bike using a hose and mild detergent
Check your Drivetrain add just a drop of chain lube on front and rear derailleur pivots. Clean and re-grease chain if needed. Examine the teeth on the cassette and chainrings and make sure they are not bent or missing. Next, shift through gears and listen for any popping or skipping between cogs. Lastly, check your chain, if looks stretched out, replace it.
Check Tires inspect tread for damage, including small holes or embedded objects. If you have tubeless tires add sealant.
Check Pressure inflate your tires to the proper pressure
Check Wheels if your wheels wobble or your spokes are loose it means your wheels needs to be trued
Check Brakes if disc brakes are out of alignment, they will make a scraping sound when you spin the wheel.
Check Brake Pads by removing the wheel. If your pads look worn or thinner than new pads, it’s time to change them. Lubricate all shift and brake cables.
Check Suspension examine the fork and shock seals (full-suspension bike) if seals look dry, cracked or has fluid buildup, your suspension needs to serviced.
Check Shoe Cleats for wear and replace if your shoes are not clicking in securely.
See Also: Best Mountain Bike Trails in Vail, Colorado
Best Mountain Bike Maintenance Tools
A bike repair stand is a must for making all types of mountain bike maintenance easier including swapping tires, greasing a chain, adjusting derailleurs, or for building a new bike.
- This bike stand features a quick-release clamp with 360-degree rotation and a ratchet-action closure that keeps your bike secure in the stand.
- These features make it super easy to put your bike on the stand, take it down and to work on it at all types of heights and angles.
- The rubber jaws fits up to 2.6” tubing and keeps your bike from getting scratched or scuffed
- The stand’s work height can be adjusted from 42”-71″
- Anodized aluminum tubing will not rust
- Because it is lightweight, this stand is very easy to set up and transport.
- Rock solid, stable tripod base can support up to 85lbs.
- Folds up small for easy portability or storage
- Tote bag is included, and makes it easy to pack it away and forget about it.
An innovative way to organize and hold many popular hex wrench sizes in one convenient fold-up tool, eliminating having a mess of loose wrenches.
- This fold up wrench set is available in 2 sizes
The AWS 10 Park Tool has wrenches that range in size from 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 4, 5, and 6mm.
The AWS 11 Park Tool has wrenches that range in size from has 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 and 10mm.
- The AWS 11 can fix and/or adjust almost anything. The AWS 10 has smaller sized wrenches and is perfect for items like derailleurs.
- Compact enough to keep in your bike pouch or saddlebag in case of emergencies
- Lightweight grip-handle keeps you from slipping when you use it
- Protanium Industrial steel handle won’t break if when you really crank down on it.
- Made in the USA
This combination wrench set comes with a storage bag that is great for keeping all of your wrenches organized and in one place
- The open end of these wrenches is angled 15 degrees so the wrench can be flipped over to engage fasteners twice as fast, and is especially nice to use in small, tight spaces
- The innovative 12-point box end is offset 15 degrees, which allows more space for your fingers to work
- Box end opening is designed to grip flat sides of fastener heads, not corners, to prevent round-off
- Made of premium chrome vanadium steel with a mirror chrome finish
- Includes roll-up storage pouch with a cover that keeps wrenches in place so they can’t slide out
- Available in 9, 11,13 and 15 piece wrench sets.
- The TEKTON 15 piece boasts a complete series of every size from 8 to 22 mm.
- Best wrenches for working around obstructions or in tight spaces.
The ideal tool to quickly and easily clean the chain, freewheel cogs, and chainrings and keep your drivetrain shifting smoothly and working great.
- Park Tool’s CG-2. 3 Chain Gang Cleaning System comprises all the tools and materials you need to keep your drivetrain clean and in good condition.
- Contains the mess in the container so your work station stays clean and free of grease and dirt
- Set includes Park’s CM-5. 2 Cyclone Chain Scrubber, eight ounces of ChainBrite cleaner, and an indispensable GSC-1 gear brush.
- The gear brush is narrow enough to fit between your cassette’s cogs and the cleaner is biodegradable, plant-based, and safe on alloy, plastic, and rubber
Tire levers are simple but essential tools designed to make removing bike tires much easier. Most tires are held against their rims with substantial force, and can be difficult and frustrating to remove.
- Strong bike levers make repairing or change a flat bicycle tire easy.
- Keep them in your bike pouch so you are ready to fix a tire in an emergency.
- Ergonomically designed to be easy to hold and molded texture makes it easy to grip.
- Each tire lever is designed to securely snap together and stay snapped together for storage and transport.
- Made of thick plastic so, unlike metal bike levers, you don’t need to worry about scratching, scuffing or damaging your rims.
- Made in the USA
- 100% Guaranteed
- Perfect for all mountain bikes or road bikes
Unless you are going tubeless, sooner or later, you’re going to get a flat. So be prepared and have a couple of spare mountain bike tubes on hand.
- The DuroLite Tube will fit a huge variety of road and mountain bike wheel and tire combinations!
- Has long threaded Presta valve stem (60mm for road and 48mm for mountain bike),
- Removable valve cores for if you go tubeless and want to add sealant to your tubes.
- High-quality butyl rubber compound, means fewer flats and longer lasting tubes.
- Lightweight tubes are only 110g-270g (depending on model)
- Satisfaction guaranteed
- Five different tube sizes available
- Available in a 1-pack, 3-pack, and 6-pack. .
If you have a bike tube with a puncture, then you NEED a patch kit to fix it. You can also use a patch as a field repair, then replace the patched tube with a new tube once you get back home.
- The VP-1 Patch Kit includes six thin and flexible patches with tapered edges to blend with the tube’s profile.
- A tube of self-vulcanizing fluid bonds the patch to the tube at the molecular level.
- Each kit is packaged in a small plastic box with sandpaper for cleaning the tube and instructions.
- The VP-1 Patch Kit includes 6 thin and flexible patches with tapered edges to seamlessly blend with the existing tire tube. Kit includes:
4 round patches 25 mm in diameter for small punctures
2 oval patches of 25 mm x 35 mm are for bigger punctures
- Self-vulcanizing fluid bonds the patch to the tube at the molecular level so it is completely sealed.
- Each kit includes sandpaper for cleaning the tube and instructions.
Floor pumps inflate your tires quickly and easily and have a gauge that allows you to inflate to the correct pressure.
- Twin Valve Design – Smartly designed valve head can easily switch between Presta and Schrader valves.
- Maximum Pressure 160 psi.
- Extra long hose with 360-degree pivot action makes pumping easier.
- Accurate and extra large gauge is easy to read and helps you to see your desired pressure.
- Aluminum barrel with ergonomically designed comfortable, oversize handle.
- 30 day guarantee with 1 year free replacement warranty.
- Bonus Sport Ball Needle and inflatable device means this pump can also be used on inflating sport balls and pool floats or water tubes
- Available in 2 colors yellow and silver
A torque wrench allows you to tighten a bolt a precise amount, so that it’s as tight as it needs to be but not too tight. Most torque wrenches make a distinct click when you’ve reached a set tightness, so you don’t over tighten.
- Complete bicycle tool kit with torque wrench means everything you need in one, organized place.
- Tough, heat-treated steel tools
- Contains everything the home mechanic needs to maintain their mountain bike.
- 23 items in the tool kit including tire levers, bottom bracket installation tools, chain tool, torque wrench and lots more.
- Torque wrench is essential for correctly and safely tightening parts to manufacturers settings..
Reference the world’s best-selling guide to the maintenance and repair of mountain bikes for basic repairs to advanced overhauls of drivetrains, brakes and more.
- This clearly illustrated guide makes every bike repair and maintenance job easy.
- Lennard Zinn is the world’s leading expert on bike maintenance and repair and his step-by-step guide explains the tools and parts you’ll need and how to know you’ve done the job right.
- The book’s two-color interior is easy to read with lots of illustrations, exploded-parts diagrams and simple instructions to lead you through every mountain bike repair task.
- Learn how to fix a flat tire, lube a bicycle chain, adjust the brakes, fix a broken chain, tighten loose spokes, repair a bent derailleur, how to true a wheel, change a cassette, service and replace pedals, chains and chainrings, saddles, handlebars, stems, headsets, forks, bottom brackets and TONS more
See Also: Essential Mountain Biking Gear
Do you agree with this list of the Best Mountain Bike Maintenance Tools? Is there anything that was not included that you feel should be on this list? Do you perform your own maintenance on your mountain bike or do you just bring it into your local bike shop for service?