Welcome to ThinkVail – we hope you find this article about the best over the boot ice cleats helpful.Here in Vail, Colorado, we have no lack of snow, ice and slippery conditions throughout the winter months. I have myself, accidentally fallen, and badly hurt my jaw, so I know, firsthand, how important it is to have footwear that reduces your chance of slipping and injury no matter what your winter activity.
Ice cleats, crampons and micro spikes are portable footwear that slips over and securely attaches to your shoes, sneakers or boots to reduce your chance of slipping, whether you are walking the dog, running, shopping, shoveling, ice fishing, hiking or just afraid of slipping on ice in the parking lot.
They are a great choice for elderly people, people who have sustained a previous fall and those who want extra traction for outdoor adventures like mountaineering or backcountry hiking.
There are different types of over the boot ice cleats for different types of applications. Usually, the bigger the steele cleats or teeth, the more aggressive the bite, and the better the traction
Crampon designs can tackle super icy, steep slopes and keep you from slipping, just like chains on a tire. They are perfect for hardcore outdoor recreational activities such as winter hiking as well as demanding professional outdoor activities such as mailmen, first responders and road crew employees.
Ice Cleats offer good over all usage, they are good for a variety of activities and winter conditions. They are usually attached using a flexible rubber frame that holds spikes, steel studs or a coiled chain. Steel studs and Spikes usually work best, have a better bite and grip better.
Microspikes are best for running and jogging, shoveling and other less demanding applications. This footwear allows smaller spikes or traction beads to be fastened with a special slip-on harness to the soles of shoes and boots. The smaller spikes or beads don’t work quite as well for people under 120 lbs as there may not be enough body weight cause enough downward pressure for good traction.
Generally, footwear is attached by a rubber frame or a nylon strap that sits over the shoe or boot. The nylon strap is usually easiest to take on and off.
See Also: Best Ice Climbing Equipment
Best Over the Boot Ice Cleats
The Stablicer Max offers aggressive traction and is one of the best ice cleats on the market. Anybody can benefit from this ice cleat but it was specifically designed for postal carriers, police, road crew, military professionals, and rescue teams. This is the real deal for keeping you from slipping on ice all winter long.
- Best in class and first in safety
- Stability traction system features 15 heat-treated steel cleats
- Stretch-to-fit thermoplastic elastomer full-sole binding
- Adjustable Sure-Fit polyester binding system with multiple Velcro straps to securely fasten to any boot or shoe from heel to toe with a hold strong even when wet.
- No heavy rubber binding to remove after a hard day’s work just easy Velcro straps.
- Industrial traction aids are built to stand up to hard use, and are tested to remain flexible in frigid temperatures, down to -45 degrees Fahrenheit
- Replaceable threaded traction cleats
- Aggressive tread
- Ideal for hunters and ice fisherman
- Made in the USA
- 90 day manufacturer’s
- Engineered for high-performance and durability
- Available in XS to XX large sizes.
Yaktrax Walk Traction cleats are lightweight, affordable, and easy to put on and take off, they offer greater stability while walking on snow or ice and reduce the risk of falls and injuries while outside on slippery surface
- Made of abrasion resistant 1.2 millimeter steel coils
- Zinc coating to prevent rust
- Fastens to shoes with a durable highly elastic Polyelastomer outer band
- Provides 360 degrees of traction on cold surfaces for all-direction stability
- Spikeless, ultra lightweight, coil design
- Heel tab makes it easy to slip on and off shoes
- Available in XS, M, and L sizes to fit most shoes
- Reduces the risk of falls when walking on snow and ice
- Yaktrax Walk Traction Cleats are safe from breakage in temperatures as low as -41 degrees F.
Diamond Grips provide aggressive traction for every winter walking conditions, from sheets of ice to backcountry snow and everything in between. They can seamlessly transition through gravel, rock and mud from icy surfaces.
- Made of case-hardened steel alloy strung on steel aircraft cable.
- Riveted to tough rubber sling that fits tennis shoes, boots and dress shoes.
- Sling remains elastic even in subzero temperatures to keep grips secure
- Self-clearing design prevents snow and ice buildup
- The Diamond Beads have hundreds of biting edges that grip in all directions.
- Easy to put on and take off, yet fit snugly and stay on without the need for additional straps. Diamond
- Cleats come in four sizes to fit most shoes and boots: Small, Medium, Large and X-Large
- Best on dirt ground, snow, ice, gravel, sharp edges can be worn down quickly on concrete.
The versatile Everyday G-3 is ideal for outdoor winter activities that require urban and light-duty casual, dress and athletic footwear like running jogging, dog walking and shoveling the walk.
- 360-degree spike pattern that provides push and lateral grip
- Special rubber compound stays strong and retains elasticity in subzero temperatures
- Unique support hole on heel strap makes it easy to put on and take off.
- 6 Tungsten Carbide Due North Ice Diamond Spikes are integrated into a proprietary rubber tread design for improved traction
- Solid traction pad prevents snow/ice build-up between traction aid and footwear.
- The webbed sole design adapts to the shape and size of your shoe
- Textured lining prevents slipping of sole of shoe/boot.
- Enclosed toe area for secure fit.
- Low profile design means it’s nearly invisible to the eye.
- When not in use, they are easy to store in small places such as, your coat pocket, handbag, briefcase or the glove box.
- Available in Small, Med, Large and XL
Quick Solve ice cleats are the ideal gripping solution to reduce slipping on icy surfaces. These ice spikes are perfect for keeping you from slipping on casual activities such as running walking the dog, shoveling and running errands.
- Dual-paired heel spikes give lots of grip
- 6-point ball-of-foot spikes ensure your traction.
- 10 Stainless Steel Riveted Spikes with 6 circular patterned front studs and 4 square patterned heel studs tears through ice and snow at 1/4” inch thick
- never rust.
- Ideal for shoveling the driveway, ice fishing, walking to get the mail, carrying an armful of groceries, catching a coffee on your break or even driving the Zamboni around and ice rink.
- Keep these grips on in your car as your drive for emergencies.
- High-stretch rubber called thermoplastic elastomer (TPE) is easy to stretch, yet returns to its original size and remains durable
- Slip on design ensures easy on and off.
- Lightweight grippers are 1/8” inch thick and weigh less than your wristwatch, yet they have enough grip to support a 300 lb. man from slipping on an ice rink.
- Available in a variety of sizes to fit dress shoes, winter boots, work boots or sneakers
- Black rubber)
- Replacement studs are available
- Stays secure where other crampons will flap and fall off, these stay snug and tight.
- Available in Small, Medium, Large and X Large
- Lifetime guarantee.
Unigear is passionate about the outdoors and has been offering high quality products for campers, hikers and adventurists since 2014. These traction cleats are perfect for walking, jogging, climbing, hiking, ice fishing and more.
- 18 half-inch, hardened, heat-treated stainless-steel spikes per foot dig into steep, icy terrain.
- Lighter and tougher, these cleats offer traction on icy winter trails.
- Elastomer band consists of stretchy Thermoplastic Elastomer (TPE) which is of flexibility, anti-abrasion and anti-tearing.
- Quick and secure fit on a variety of footwear.
- Heavy duty crampons have long-lasting soles
- Double reinforced eyelets increase durability.
- Thickened edges prevent tearing.
- Full-sole coverage with cleats on heel and forefoot is to maintain traction as you walk.
- Easy to put on and take off with secure and adjustable straps.
Hillsound features high quality innovative technology and design on all of their products, including their ice cleats. More like crampons, these grippers is at home in the back country, frozen lakes, glaciers, winter trails and all types of winter conditions.
- 11 carbon steel 2/3 inch spikes are dispersed across a broad area for extra security and grip.
- Elastomer harness fits a variety of footwear while the strap ensures a secure fit.
- Ergonomic plate system guarantees traction, weight dispersion and reduces muscle fatigue
- Convenient puncture-proof carry bag for storage
- These trail spikes are ideal for all types of hard core adventures
- Tested on the trails of the Himalayas in diverse winter terrain and weather conditions
- Weight: 16.3 oz | 462 g
- Available in a variety of sizes to fit casual shoes, trail runners, hiking shoes, hiking boots and insulated boots
- 2-year warranty
Limms makes high quality equipment for people who workout and exercise outdoors and indoors. These ice grips help to keep you outside and does so by offering a great solution for extra traction on slippery surfaces.
- 10 extra large, steel traction cleats
- Full sole coverage.
- Perfect for hiking, fishing, running, walking, shoveling, mountaineering in winter conditions
- Micro crampons on heel and forefoot to maintain firm footing on ice or snow.
- Easy slip-on design ensures they can be slipped over footwear in seconds.
- Pull the tab over your heel for a snug fit on your shoes, hiking boots, or fishing boots.
- Rubber top membrane is made of non-tear and non-snap TPE elastic rubber that stays flexible in cold temperatures
- Cleats roll up and can be easily carried in a purse, work-bag or even in your pocket.
- Lightweight and durable materials
- Carry pouch included with purchase
- Available in a variety of sizes for men, women and kids.
- Reduce the risk of falls during treacherous slippery conditions
- Available in four sizes: Small, Medium, Large and Extra Large
- Lifetime guarantee
One of the most affordable ice grips on the list. These grips will give you extra traction when running, jogging, walking and snow shoveling but are not very aggressive in more hardcore situations.
- Unisex design prevent slipping on snow and icy conditions for both men and women
- Thermoplastic elastomer and 10 special non-slip steel studs
- Rubber stays flexible to -40 degree C
- Steel studs offer traction on ice and snow
- Lightweight construction
- Footwear folds up compactly to fit in your pocket
- Easy on/off to fit boots, sneakers, casual and dress shoes
- Anti-slip shoe covers overshoes
- Rustproof spikes are removable and replaceable
- Recommended use is only on snow or ice to prevent wear to the studs.
An aggressive crampon design, EnergeticSky Ice cleats will get you where you want to go safely and in a controlled manner, no matter the conditions.
- 19 multi-directional, abrasion-resistant, stainless steel spikes.
- Strong welding chain with robust spikes.
- Excellent traction on a variety of icy surfaces.
- Strategic placement of spikes ensures equal distribution of weight for long-lasting comfort and durability.
- Rustproof material
- Cover is made by 5mm Silicone, not the general TPR rubber,
- Silicone is highly elastic and won’t tear or snap.
- Remain flexible to -60degrees
- Full-sole coverage. Aggressive cleats and treads prevent slips and falls on ice, snow, and wet pavement.
- Lightweight and fits easily and securely over your own shoes or boots
- Fold small enough to keep in a pack, or in your car.
- Ideal for men and women, teenagers, adults and the elderly.
- Suitable for hiking angled terrain, walking on icy roads, shoveling icy driveways, winter trail running, hiking, and ice fishing and more.
- Includes a durable carry bag
We hope you found this article about the best over the boot ice cleats helpful. Have you suffered a fall in the past due to slippery conditions? What activity are you most concerned about slipping? Have you used any of these ice cleats? What did you love? What did you hate? We would love to hear your thoughts, comments and stories regarding your experiences with ice cleats. Thanks for reading.