Welcome to ThinkVail – we hope you find this article about the best ski socks for women helpful.
Ladies, you know that nothing is more important than a good-fitting ski sock that keeps your feet warm, dry, comfortable and blister-free but finding the right ski sock is more like an art form than a science. To choose the best ski socks, you must consider the following:
What your sock is made of is sooooooo important. Merino wool is the best choice, it is a proven fiber that offers breathability and comfort in all conditions. Merino wool will absorb up to 30% of its weight in moisture without feeling wet or clammy.
It will keep you warm in the winter and cool in the summer. It has amazing wicking properties that absorbs sweat and moisture and keeps it away from your skin.
Merino wool is not itchy, it is wonderfully soft and smooth. Any sock you pick should have a good amount of Merino wool, other great materials that compliment merino wool is polypropylene, spandex or Lycra (for added stretch), nylon and polyester fibers.
Merino wool socks are much, much better than cotton socks for keeping you comfortable
Socks come in a variety of weights. Picking the right weight will go a long way to picking the perfect sock.
- Ultra Lightweight socks are performance socks. They are perfect if you are an avid, experienced skier who owns your own custom ski boots or has close-fitting boots. These socks are very thin relying on the insulation qualities of the custom ski boot insert to help keep your feet warm. Because they are thin they do not add additional material and do not bunch up or pack out the boot, the way a thick sock does. They are also perfect for people who are naturally warm most of the time.
- Lightweight socks are not as thin as ultra lightweight socks, they have a higher percentage of wool and therefore, more insulation as well as additional cushioning on the shin and under the foot, to reduce heel lift. This is the most popular weight for skiers looking for a good sock.
- Midweight socks are the best socks if your feet are just always cold. If you are looking for warmth and lots of it, look to the midweight. Midweight consists of the highest percentage of merino wool to keep your feet toasty warm and dry. Midweight also offers lots of cushioning and the extra volume of material to reduce foot movement in the boot.
Seamless Toe Unlike regular socks, good ski socks should not have a seam at the toe, usually it is higher, lying on top of the toe. This is important because there is nothing more irritating than feeling a seam right at your toe where the boot keeps pressing against it. It will cause chafing, discomfort and eventually sore spots. Seamless socks gives you a nice clean toe box that will make your day on the slopes much more comfortable
OTC Design means it is a taller over the calf sock. You want to have material or cushioning between your leg and the entire ski boot, a tall OTC design does just that. Theses socks also utilize banding which is just elastic to keep the sock up so it doesn’t fall down in your boot and become annoying. Some socks have multiple areas of banding for lots of reliability that your sock will stay high.
See Also: 20 Winter Essentials to Keep you Warm
Best Ski Socks for Women
Smartwool has been the leader for more than 20 years in Merino wool ski socks and they are still the best at making breathable, warm, odor-fighting socks that let you ski comfortably. The PhD Ski Ultralight is a very thin, light sock that makes you almost forget you’re wearing socks.
- Ultralight means it is a very thin sock, which is best for performance skiing but if you just know your feet will be cold without a little extra material check out Smartwool’s light and medium weight ski socks
- 50% Merino Wool, 48% Nylon, 2% Elastane. Nothing beats Merino wool for keeping your feet dry and warm.
- Made in the USA
- Indestructawool technology. These socks will last a long time.
- Virtually Seamless toe means no discomfort when inside tight ski boots
- Women’s specific fit
- Care: Machine Wash means these socks are easy to care for.
Point6 (the founders of Smartwool) make a sock that’s lighter weight but higher in thread count than any of its competitors. These amazing socks are warm, durable and lightweight.
- Medium Weight- Means your toes won’t get cold because the medium thickness provides plenty of volume and warmth for skiing
- Made of 64% Merino wool/ 34% nylon/ 2% spandex material, this sock cushions your entire foot absorbing the impacts of hard snow bumps and landings.
- OTC; over the calf construction offers full coverage and cushions the leg from tight ski boots
- Excellent moisture wicking properties
- Socks will not slide around in your ski boots
- Designed to prevent pressure points and hot spots
- Made in the USA
- These are warm, comfortable socks
Midweight thickness provides the combination of warmth without sacrificing the fit of your ski boots. Thinner and thicker weights are available for the perfect fit for you.
- Made of 54% Nylon, 25% Merino Wool, 16% Polypropylene, 5% Spandex
- This blend of merino wool and polypropylene has advanced hydrophobic properties to wick moisture (sweat) away from your feet and keeps them dry and comfortable
- Cushioning in key areas like the shin, ankle, and the foot areas keep your feet comfortable while in ski boots
- Elastic at the top prevents the ski socks from sliding down, so they stay in place while you’re on the slopes
- Elastic arch support adds comfort and helps to reduce foot fatigue
- Machine washable means they are easy to care for.
- These high performance ski socks will last for many ski seasons.
- Sold in single pair, 3-pair pack and 6-pair packs
These socks were made in the mountains of Vermont, where they know what cold is. These ski socks live up to their name.
- Made of Nylon, Merino Wool, Lycra, Spandex material.
- Performance fit inures no slipping, no bunching, and no blisters.
- Seamless design makes for an ultra smooth, invisible feel and a seam that won’t be felt in ski boots.
- Targeted cushioning on bottom of the foot and shin area make for a comfortable day of skiing
- Fine gauge knitting creates unprecedented durability.
- Enjoy fast wicking action, this sock pulls moisture away from skin, and is fast drying, so feet stay dry and warm.
- Naturally antimicrobial: Repels bacteria and odor.
- Made in Vermont, USA.
- Unconditionally guaranteed for life.
The perfect socks for people with insulated custom ski boot liners. If you don’t need extra cushioning or material to keep your feet warm these are the performance socks you have been looking for. If you need additional cushioning and insulation don’t worry the Fits ski sock comes in additional weights.
- Made of Super-fine Merino Wool 49%, Nylon 37%, Polyester 10%, Lycra 4%
- The Ultra Light is a thin ski sock that limits the amount of material in your boot, thereby reducing blisters and bunching.
- Superfine Merino wool boasts a natural ability to wick moisture and regulate temperature.
- These OTC socks rises over the calf and lies just below the knee.
- Full contact elastic welt to avoid sagging.
- Compression around the foot and leg ensures smooth wear
- Minimal cushion is best paired with custom or very close-fitting boots, if you do not have custom boots you may want to look at the light or medium weigh versions of this sock instead.
- Features a vented foot top, as well as a proper gradient compression throughout the leg and over the calf, stimulating blood flow and keeping your legs feeling invigorated for as long as you are on the slopes. .
- Available in ultralight weight, pro weight lightweight and medium weight
These medium weight socks boast the thermal properties and comfort of Merino wool. They will make any day outside warm and comfortable no matter how far the mercury drops.
- Made of 78% Merino Wool,15% 4% Nylon and 3% Polyester
- OTC sock means its a full length sock that lies right under the knee
- This sock is thin enough to fit in a ski boot comfortably but still thick enough to keep your feet warm and cushioned.
- Full cushioned bottom for comfort.
- Seamless toe for comfort and prevents blisters from forming where the seam would be
- Moisture Wicking to keep you dry by absorbing moisture and sweat from your body.
- Anti-Microbial and Odor Resistant
- Virtually no shrinkage
- Minus33 is the official sock supplier of the USA Olympic Luge Team.
- Machine-washable make these socks easy to care for
From the industry leader in snowboards comes a great ski and snowboard sock. Burton offers a great sock with lots of features that will enhance your day on the mountain
- Made of Merino wool, stretchy spandex, Nano GLIDE and Polypropylene
- Lightweight sock with medium and extra-density cushioning where you need it.
- Ultra wick venting toe panels insure these socks are quick drying
- Odor-Resistant Polypropylene reinforced foot bed keeps feet from getting stinky
- Ergonomic, articulated left and right fit with All-Over Elastic for incredible arch, ankle, and leg support to keep your feet and legs feeling invigorated while you ski
- Flat-stitched toe seam eliminates hot spots, chafing and bunching inside your ski or snowboard boots.
- Elastic keeps sock from sagging or falling down
- Burton also makes ultralight, medium and heavy-weight socks
- Made in Italy
When your searching for a woman specific performance ski sock, look no further than Eurosock
- 70% Silver Drystat, 15% Microsupreme, 10% Nylon, 5% Elastam Lycra
- Lightweight with second skin fit and feel. This sock embraces the foot with a snug fit.
- High performance sock offers low density padding to eliminate packing out of your ski boot
- Seamless toe pocket, relieves foot stress, eliminates chafing and irritation
- Stay up system prevents socks from sliding down the leg
- Elastic arch support with ventilation channels insures happy feet
- Woman specific design and colors
- Silver DryStat has incredible moisture wicking capabilities to keep your feet dry, comfortable and fungus free
- Made in Italy and features Italian style, creativity and technology
- Available in lots of fun colors
These bad boys are perfect for keeping your feet toasty warm. Alpaca wool insures a warm comfortable ski and snowboard sock that you will LOVE!
- Made of 60% premium Alpaca wool, 30% Nylon, 10% Spandex, these ski socks are designed to keep feet warm.
- Alpaca wool is both lighter and warmer than merino wool due to it being hollow.
- Socks are of mid weight thickness, which means they are warm and comfort but will not cramp your ski boot.
- Features a stylish design
- Alpaca wool absorbs and wicks away moisture and sweat. It is also breathable, thermal regulating, and keeps feet comfortable and at the perfect temperature.
- These socks are durable and long-lasting
- Guaranteed for Life
- Made in the USA
- Premium Alpaca Wool for Ultimate Warmth
- Available in single pairs or in a 3-pair pack
When you just know your feet are going to be cold, if you have chronically cold feet when skiing or you just don’t want to mess around than heated socks might be the perfect answer.
- Soft socks are equipped with 2 rechargeable lithium batteries to keep you warm all day.
- Socks are super comfortable, thick and well padded
- They are also breathable, stretchy, quick-drying and use an ultra-thin electric heating module
- 3 Temperature settings- High (Red), Medium (Orange) and Low (Green).
- Heating area get warm in about a minute and feet get nice and toasty warm
- Safety features insure you won’t get shocked, even when wet!
- Hand wash
- Heats the top / bottom instep of your foot
- Unisex socks
- Over-voltage protection – If the batteries are fully charged, the charging adapter will stop charging
- Colors: available in Black and Grey
See Also: Best Ski Pass Holders
Do you agree with this list of the best ski socks for women? Are your favorite socks on here? What socks do you prefer to ski or snowboard in ultralight, lightweight or medium weight and why? What are your favorite features in a ski sock?