Welcome to ThinkVail – we hope you find this article about the best snow ski locks helpful.
New skis or snowboards cost big bucks and it is maddening if they get stolen! Unfortunately, gear gets stolen every day at ski resorts, and more often than not, its never recovered. Sometimes, it’s not even somebody stealing them but there are so many skis that a person (or child) just accidentally skis off with the wrong pair, but is still sucks and your skis are still gone.
One trick to protect yourself from losing your skis is to separate them, the idea is that no one will want to steal just one ski and a would-be thief won’t take the time to look for the matching ski. Even better, pair up one of your skis & poles with a friend’s. Again, the idea is that a thief will not want a mismatched set of skis and will not take the time to search for the missing ski & pole.
Also, keep in mind, that generally, more thefts happen at the base of the mountain than the top of the mountain so be very wary at the base of the ski hill, where anybody can just walk off with them.
These are deterrent behaviors that can help stop a thief but the best bet is to get a ski lock and lock your equipment every time you are not on them. This advice is not just for new, expensive equipment, because in most cases, your rental equipment insurance does not cover theft, only damage to the ski or snowboard so you could be on the hook if your rental skis are stolen.
Types of Ski Locks
Cable Lock – A retractable cable that can be wound around the snowboard and the object you’re locking it to, such as a ski rack. This type of lock is very easy to use. Cable locks can either be locked with a key or with a combination code.
Ski Key – Designed to lock your ski or snowboard to a specific type of rack that is available at many ski resorts throughout the world. These special racks have metal prongs a few inches apart, to slide the middle of your board or skis between them. Then, put the lock into a prong, slide an attached pin through the prongs and into the lock, and remove the key to carry with you. This type of lock can’t be cut off like a cable, making it more secure, but don’t lose the key!
Other details to think about when purchasing a ski lock is:
- Size and weight of the lock, you will be carrying it all day
- If choosing a cable lock, how long and how thick is the cable
- Key locking mechanism or a combination locking mechanism
- Do you want an audible alarm as a further deterrent
Best Snow Ski Locks
Lewis N. Clark features organized, secure, comfortable, and convenient products that include luggage, carry-ons, totes and hundreds of thoughtful, inventive items such as this cable ski tote that will be your perfect companion whether you’re skiing, or traveling to keep your gear safe.
- Classic cable ski lock, just wrap the cable around the bindings to keep your prized skis or snowboard safe and secure.
- Tough, durable construction with thermoplastic rubber and ABS housing, is built to last.
- Flexible 30 inch, braided, stainless steel cable is easy to use and offers generous length.
- Reset your combination easily anytime with our three-dial code. The re-programmable lock makes it simple to change your combo.
- Available in Red and Blue housing
- Grouping skis together and secure them to fixed objects, like a ski rack.
- Thermoplastic rubber provides a comfortable grip, and the sturdy ABS housing will withstand the wear and tear of multiple ski trips.
- Coated steel cable is also simple to retract and won’t harm your ski or snowboard’s finish .
This is something entirely different and exciting. The Ski Key Lock is for use with the Ski Key Systems rack at your favorite ski area. These specific racks allow you to lock your skis to them and offers peace of mind, convenience and security to skiers & snowboarders. Many resorts have these racks but you must make sure your resort does as you will be unable to lock your skis without the proprietary Ski Key ski rack.
- Fast, easy, and convenient way to lock ski & snowboards
- Comes with 2 Keys per lock
- Cannot be cut off like a cable lock.
- Recommended by ski & snowboard resorts everywhere
- Ski Key ski locks can ONLY be used with their proprietary ski rack
- Most ski resorts offer these specific racks which makes it a breeze to lock up your skis.
- Check the resort list on Ski Key’s website to make sure your ski resort offers these ski racks
- Skis slide into the rack and this lock is on the outside.
- Way easier to use then threading a cable lock when your fingers are frozen.
- Available in Blue, Red, Orange, Yellow, Green and Blue
- Comes in a 3-pack option for families
- Lifetime warranty
When just a cable lock won’t do, make the leap to the cable lock with built-in alarm. Your skis and snowboard have an extra layer of security because if someone tries to cut the cable the device will activate an alarm to keep would-be thieves away. Great for piece of mind.
- One-of-a-kind, pocket-sized retractable security cable.
- Simple to use, difficult for thieves to disarm
- Self-retracting, cut resistant, stainless steel 24 inch cable.
- Piercing 120 decibel alarm activated when cable is severed or when the motion sensor is armed and triggered.
- LED indicator light displays alarm status
- Re-settable 4 digit combination lock means there is no key to lose.
- Suitable for indoor and outdoor use
- An innovative, portable device to protect your skis and snowboard.
- Loud alarm scares away potential thieves if an attempt is made to cut through its ultra hard steel cable, or the main lock unit.
Dakine is an outdoor company for people who love to surf, snowboard, ski, skateboard, mountain bike, windsurf, kite board and travel and the Dakine micro ski lock is the perfect way to protect and secure the gear they love
- Small, compact design cable lock
- 3-digit combination lock
- Generous 30″ (76 cm) retractable cable
- Set your own combination
- Pocket-sized protection for your skis or snowboard
- An effective deterrent against ski and snowboard theft in public places.
- 2 year limited warranty.
- Lock housing size: (not the cable length) is: 2.5” length x 1.5” width x 0.5” thick
- Ideal to quickly lock up your skis but small enough to fit in your pocket.
- Available in Green only
- Also sold in 6 packs.
Master Lock has been doing one thing since 1921, making great locks, so they know a thing or two. They are recognized around the world for their padlocks and security products and continually set new standards for lock design, application and performance. Their ski locks fit the bill for performance, convenience and security perfectly.
- Small cable lock is ideal for skis and snowboard
- Cable retracts to snugly secure items and recoils with a push-button mechanism
- Set-your-own 3 dial combination for key-less convenience.
- Protective vinyl coating helps to prevent scratches to your gear
- Generous 3-foot cable length and 3/32 inch diameter
- Available in Blue, Green, White, or Red (You cannot choose a color, colors are randomly selected at time of shipment)
- Thicker, braided steel offers strength and flexibility.
- Push button mechanism provides easy recoil for storage.
- Limited lifetime warranty
- For indoor and outdoor use.
- Super easy to operate, just press the side button, insert the cable, release the side button and scramble the numbers. Your skis are secure, lock will NOT open after that.
Northcore Viper-X Snowboard Lock
Northcore is a surf and snowboard company that believes in outfitting you properly for any outdoor adventure The Viper X snowboard and ski lock is perfect to secure your winter gear and stands up to their motto of ” Born out of Necessity – Built to Survive. Enjoy.
- Compact, portable, 3 digit combination cable lock
- Features a shorter 2.9 foot (90 cm) auto-retractable steel cable to secure your skis or snowboard
- Retractable cable is stored in the body when not in use.
- Ideal solution for snowboarders and skiers
- Viper-X 2G housing is approx 50 mm width x 70 mm length x 21.5 mm depth.
- Lightweight and small.
This unique, lock and hold ratchet design, is not going to stop a pair of bolt cutters but it is an easy, ideal deterrent for most situations and encourage a would-be thief to just “walk on by” and disregard your skis and snowboard in pursuit of easier prey.
- Unique, zip lock design ski lock
- The lightest ski lock out there, weighs only 20 grams including key.
- Flexible toughened nylon outer with reinforced steel core and locking head
- Three digit combination lock with number reset function
- Shortest length on this list at only 15 inches (40 cm) locking diameter
- Multi-use, reusable zip-like security tie
- Lightweight lock offers extra protection for your gear for short stops and low-risk areas.
- Available in Yellow, Black, Red and Grey.
- Available to buy singularly, in pairs or in multiple packs
- Mechanism to reverse the zip tie allows you to easily use it over and over.
- Super lightweight deterrent to ski and snowboard theft
- Outside coating keeps your skis and snowboard from getting scratched
- 2 inches wide
Nothing is worse than coming out after a lively apres ski or memorable a mountaintop lunch and finding your skis or snowboard have been stolen. It’s better to be safe than sorry and this quick lock is just what the doctor ordered to keep your gear safe.
- Lightweight lock works well on bikes or skis
- Weighs 3 ounces (129 grams) and very compact
- Two loops gives a variety of locking options
- 100% rustproof and variable length (0-30 inches)
- 2640 lbs. of tensile strength stainless steel cable in a blister pack
- Quite possibly the best snowboard and ski lock ever created.
- Convenience lock is well-built and compact.
- The unique ‘stretch and grab’ design is clever and versatile.
- Enjoy peace of mind when relaxing at the ski lodge or during après ski.
Innovative item by Five-Forty Snowboards, this compact Snowjam ski/snowboard lock is perfect for keeping your new deck or new planks safe. Throw one in the pocket of your ski jacket and you won’t even know it’s there but you’ll be happy you have it.
- Small and compact easily fits into any pocket on your ski jacket
- Offers all the security of a larger lock but in a much smaller package.
- Heavy duty steel cable protects gear while in lodge, etc.
- Shorter 2 foot cable length.
- Has a 1.6 mm diameter steel cable with plastic coating to prevent scratches
- Features a simple, self-programmable 3 digit combination so you don’t have to worry about losing keys.
- Ideal for securing all your winter gear
- Available in Black only
Burton has been a leader in the ski industry since 1977 by pioneering the snowboard industry and transforming it into the world-class snow sport we know today. Their products are always, smart, durable and innovative and this compact cable lock won’t disappoint.
- Small, pocket-friendly ergonomic shape
- Compact 30″ (76 cm) steel cable lock offers generous length
- Three-number combination means you don’t have to worry about losing a key
- Don’t let your skis or snowboard get stolen
- Steel cable lock provides security during lunch, bathroom or après ski breaks
- Easy, choose-your-own three number combo keeps the code private but not so complex that you forget it after an epic ride.
- 1 year warranty
Bosvision Ski Lock offers a quality product at an affordable price. This lock should serve you well with it’s thicker-than-most cable that is easy to manipulate and the easy to set combo means you don’t have to worry about losing a key.
- Featuring a thick 3/32 inch diameter retractable cable that is three feet long.
- Adjustable vinyl coated steel cable lock and tighten around skis and will not mar the finish.
- 4-digit set-your-own combination lock
- Push-button retraction for easy cable recoiling even with gloves on
- Ideal for securing skis to a ski rack or other secure fixture.
- This lock is strong, sturdy and reliable
- No key to lose! 4-digit code is super convenient
- The included instructions shows the procedure to change the code.
- Ideal to secure skis together or to a secure fixture.
- Handy accessory hole makes it easy to attach a tag or key ring
- Available in Black, Black & Green and Red
We hope you find this article about the best snow ski locks helpful. Have you used ski locks in the past? Did you like them? Did you hate them? Did you think they were a good deterrent for would-be thieves? We would love to hear your thoughts, comments and any stories about using a ski lock and your experiences with them. Thanks so much for reading.