If you’re traveling to a ski resort, like Vail, in the winter with your snowboard you are going to need a snowboard travel bag to protect it. What is the difference between a ski bag and a snowboard bag, are they interchangeable? Does it even matter? Here are 10 of the best snowboard travel bags to make traveling with your snowboard a breeze.
Ski and snowboard bags share many similarities including materials, functionality and features. Many times you can use a large ski bag to hold your snowboard but in general, ski bags are usually longer and more narrow than snowboard bags. If your bag is a lot longer than the snowboard you will likely have a very floppy bag that can be frustrating to carry.
Also snowboard bags are usually a little wider so your board lays nice and flat in the bag and is not angled up in a cramped bag. If it does not lie flat there is more of a chance your board could be damaged during transit.
Keep in mind that airlines recommend hard shell snowboard cases over soft bags.
In addition keep your total snowboard bag weight under 50 lbs to avoid additional airline fees.
Snowboard Travel Bag Options
Wheeled Snowboard Bags are a very convenient and easy way to transport your snowboard. These are usually the largest bags available are capable of carrying multiple decks.
Non-Wheeled Snowboard Bags are easier to maneuver than a non-wheeled bag because they are shorter length. These bags typically hold 1- 3 boards and have additional space for other gear or clothing.
Hard Case Ski Bags offer the greatest protection possible. Made from a super durable plastic that will last for years. You can usually pack multiple boards and skis/poles but they do not leave much space for packing anything else. These cases are adjustable in length so they can accommodate most any size snowboard.
Fully Padded Ski Bags offer lots of cushioning and padding to protect your equipment. This type offers the most protection short of a plastic hard case.
Unpadded Snowboard Bags are also called board sleeves, they do not offer much in the way of protection. They are great for storage, road trips, train or transporting boards on the bus for ski club but not so great for air travel.
Lastly, find the right snowboard bag size. Snowboard bags are measured in centimeters. Choose a bag that is equal to or longer than the longest snowboard that will be in the bag. Many bags are adjustable in length, allowing you to extend or shorten the length of the bag. This is an awesome option if you have different size boards or have multiple people using the same bag.
Best Snowboard Travel Bags
Wheeled Snowboard Bags
Looking for a name brand, padded, wheeled monster of a snowboard bag that can hold a ton of stuff? Look no further than the Burton Wheelie Gig. This bag comes in a variety of sizes from 146 centimeters to a whopping 181 centimeters, no matter what size board you have Burton has a bag for you.
- This snowboard bag can safely hold multiple decks
- Offering bombproof construction and a fully padded main compartment for board protection
- Removable padded shoulder strap offers lots of versatility and easy carrying when transporting. Most bags just have end handles and a suitcase handle. The Wheelie Gig has an end handle on each end of the bag, a suitcase handle and a removable shoulder strap!
- This bag is lockable, the contoured zipper pulls fit TSA approved locks (sold separately)
- Ixion Skate Wheel System provides smooth rolling for when you have to cover a lot of ground in the airport terminal.
- External zippered accessory pocket means more storage for your gear.
- The internal webbing straps that keeps your boards in place and prevents scuffing or rubbing is also a nice feature
- Available in a variety of sizes to fit boards between 146 cm and 181 cm.
- Lifetime Warranty
- Available in assorted colors and patterns
The Dakine Low Roller is a less expensive option than the Whirlie Gig and offers great value for snowboard travel protection for your next ski vacation.
- This board can hold A LOT including 2 boards (1 with bindings mounted), 1 pair boots and outerwear.
- It offers 360 degree padding for great board protection.
- End handle makes one-handed navigation through the airport concourse easy. There is also a suitcase handle. Unfortunately this bag does not come with a shoulder strap.
- Two large exterior boot storage pockets can be locked (sold separately)
- Big 9 centimeter, heavy-duty wheels means easy rolling.
- Packs down tight for easy storage when your trip is over
- Available in sizes from 157 cm -175 cm
- Available in assorted colors and patterns.
Thule has been in the gear storage business for years and a leader in the field. Their line of snowboard travel bags is filled with innovative features and smart technology for a long-lasting, durable product.
- The Thule Roundtrip is constructed of a highly tear resistant and water resistant fabric
- Features padded, cinch top board sleeves to protect your snowboard
- Offers structural reinforcement at the top of the bag to prevent sagging at the top and bottom of the bag if a shorter snowboard is being protected inside of the bag.
- Bag has added protection along the tips and tails to protect your decks.
- The bag offers heavy-duty, smooth rolling wheels for easy transporting
- Multiple grab handles on each end of the bag, as well as a suitcase handle.
- S-shaped zipper that coils around the bag makes it really easy to organize your gear and find and retrieve items without having everything fall out when traveling.
- Bag fits two snowboards up to 165 cm in length plus boots
- Internal and external compression straps keeps gear from shifting
- Internal zipped pocket is the perfect place to store additional gear
- Lockable zippers (Locks sold separately).
- 2 Colors: Black and Blue
The Athletico Conquest is a great padded, wheeled snowboard travel bag for around $100. It’s big roomy style and removable shoulder strap are just some of the features that makes this bag stand apart from the others.
- Made of water-resistant material with an all-weather tarpaulin bottom.
- This snowboard bag offers 360 degrees of 10 mm of dense foam padding to protect your board and other gear from damage and baggage check mishandling.
- Available in two sizes: Accommodating boards up to 175 centimeters. This snowboard bag can fit most snowboards.
- Two internal straps prevent your board from sliding around in the bag.
- These straps make it perfect for smaller snowboards, eliminating movement and freeing up additional room for storage.
- Heavy-duty wheels make navigating around airport and parking lots easy.
- The inside is lined with a thermal, waterproof material for added protection.
- Extra large exterior pocket and a spacious interior wet pocket to keep wet gear separated from the rest.
- Neoprene padded handles for easy carrying and a detachable shoulder strap
- EZ glide, full-length wrap-around double zippers that can be locked (sold
- This bag is built to last.
- 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
The Rome Padded snowboard bag is the Big Daddy snowboard travel bag you have been searching for, everything on this bag is bigger and reinforced to offer you the best travel bag you can find.
- Easily holds up to FOUR boards (without bindings). The integrated board scabbard easily allows for multiple boards and has a thin clear, full-length piece of material that separates two boards to keep them from rubbing up against each other. Other boards can be added but there is only one separator.
- Coffin construction boasts padding everywhere; the main compartment and the external pockets are all generously padded for your gears protection
- Reinforced skate wheels roll smoothly and are long-lasting.
- Three padded BIG external gear compartments can hold tons of stuff including boots, bindings, coats and outerwear.
- Constructed 900D Ripstop fabric insures durability most bags are only 600D
- It has tons of comfortable, reinforced, padded handles; dual end carrying handles, a suitcase handle, two additional middle throw handles and a detachable shoulder strap, are all made from beefy nylon webbing. All these handle options make carrying this bag convenient and easy.
- Fits boards up to 168 cm
- Perfect for the serious traveler, if you are a rider who spend weeks or months on the road, you are going to LOVE this bag!
Padded Snowboard Bags
Enjoy a top of the line, deluxe padded snowboard bag for under a hundred dollars! This bag is one of the best on the market and was created for the hardcore snowboard traveler who wants a lot of protection and style.
- All-around thick padded protection!
- Constructed of 600D PVC Coated Polyester is water resistant and super durable
- Available in 2 sizes to fit all boards. 157 cm/62 inches and 165 cm/65 inches.
- Built with reinforced construction with double stitching and waterproof liner.
- Includes a comfortable removable padded shoulder strap and burly dual end carry handles.
- Exterior zippered pocket
- 100% Guarantee
- Padded snowboard bag only – no wheels
- Weighs less than 4 pounds.
- Packs down tight for easy storage when not in use.
For more than 100 years Rossignol has been a winter sports leader, they are known for making skiing and riding easier, more inspiring, and more fun. Whether your a competitive athlete or a weekend warrior this snowboard travel bag from will exceed your expectations.
- Padded travel snowboard sleeve-style bag
- Constructed of 600D Ripstop material so you know this bag is tough and durable.
- PVC waterproof coating
- Big exterior pocket to hold gear as well as a smaller zippered pocket inside of the external pocket to hold smaller gear you don’t want to lose.
- Holds a snowboard with bindings as well as boots and some additional clothing
- Suitcase handle, a single end carry handle and an adjustable, detachable, padded shoulder strap
- Available in one size only 163 centimeters.
Looking for an inexpensive padded snowboard that will protect your single snowboard and some gear beautifully? The Agnu Sports Padded Snowboard Bag is a perfect and at under $50 it will make your wallet happy too!
- An inexpensive padded snowboard bag that will hold a single snowboard with bindings and may hold your boots too depending on their size and still have room for gloves, ski jacket, ski pants, googles.
- Constructed of 600D rip stop material and heavy-duty tarpaulin bottom to resist water and prevent tearing
- All -around cushioning and padding keeps your gear protected whether you are traveling or just storing away for the off-season.
- Measures 71” x 12” (180 x 30 cm).
- Two quality compression straps keeps your gear tight and secure
- High quality full length zippers with extra long zipper pullers.
Hard Case Snowboard Bags
This is the truly bomber-proof way of shipping or transporting snowboards. Hard cases offer the highest probability of safety over any other type of bag.
- This is the biggest version of the Sportube, if you can’t fit it in here, you probably don’t need it!
- The molded, rigid, High Density Polyethylene plastic Sportube is designed to protect up to two snowboards with boots and bindings
- or one snowboard with boots and one pair of Alpine skis and poles together
- or up to three pair of Alpine skis and poles OR two pair of Alpine skis, poles AND boots
- Easy pull handles paired with wheels improve maneuverability and make moving these BIG storage cases easy
- Because it is a plastic case there is no stitching to come undone, no buckles to break and no fraying nylon straps.
- Can be Fed Ex and UPS shipped by itself without a box
- Innovative telescopic function lets you customize the length of the ski tube so can accommodate any snowboard from 107 cm to 183 cm
- This special edition comes with a TSA approved combination lock,
- Includes a Nik Nac Pac which can hold items like goggles and gloves
- Easily close and secure the contents of your Sportube with the included Cotter Pin.
- 6 rubber band brake retainers and 6 ski straps secure your equipment and keeps it from shifting.
- The Sportube can also be strapped to the roof of a car for road trips. The hard plastic makes sure your equipment is free of salt, water, mud or damage as you drive.
- This Special Edition includes a lifetime warranty
- Made in USA
UnPadded Snowboard Bags
If you don’t need a lot of protection but want to keep you board away from mud, snow, water and being scratched up than this name brand snowboard bag might be the perfect bag for you.
- Smaller bag that holds two snowboards, one with bindings
- Perfect for car road trips, bus rides, train travel or off-season storage.
- Fits boards from 129 centimeters to 181 centimeters
- Simple, no-nonsense bag for basic protection
- 600D Polyester with TPE Backing
- Removable shoulder strap makes transporting this bag a breeze
- Not recommended for air flight as there is no padding.
See Also: Best Ski Pass Holders
What is your favorite snowboard travel bag? Do you have a favorite name brand that you always look for? What is your favorite, must have feature in a travel bag. Do you prefer wheeled bags, padded bags or the hard cases for air flight? We would love to hear your thoughts and comments on the subject.