Welcome to ThinkVail – we hope you find this article about the Best Travel Ski Bags helpful.
If you’re an experienced skier coming to Vail, Colorado in the winter, chances are you are bringing your skis (or snowboard). We all know it can be a hassle carrying around these big, bulky bags, but here are some travel ski bag options that will make the experience a little more enjoyable and carefree. These bags come with some great features that make transporting your treasured skis (and boots and bindings and poles and other important stuff) easier, while keeping them protected and secure. This article includes wheeled ski bags, hard-case ski bags, padded ski bags and non-padded ski bags. You can also choose from single ski bags or bags for multiple skis. Here’s how to choose the one that is right for you.
Wheeled Ski Bag is the easiest and most convenient to haul long distances, like through an airport. A durable set of wheels at the bottom of the bag and a heavy-duty handle on the opposite end lets you pull this bag easily and smoothly. This style of bag is one of the largest style and is capable of carrying multiple sets of skis, poles and clothing.
A Hard Case Ski Bag When protection is the name of the game, a hard case ski bag will keep your sticks safe from the most determined airport personnel and mail carrier. This type of ski bag is made from very durable plastic and will last for years. It is also the perfect container for shipping your skis to a destination. The only drawback to a hard case is the that they don’t leave much additional space for items you need beyond skis and poles.
A Fully Padded Ski Bag has LOTS of padding and fully protects the entire cargo space with soft foam. This type of ski bag boasts the most protection short of a hard case.
Non Padded Ski Bag is just a basic ski bag, it may be waterproof but it does not offer any real protection from tarmac mishandling. This bag works best for road trips, or storage, NOT air travel.
Best Travel Ski Bags
Wheeled Ski Bags
When you’re looking for a large convenient ski bag look no further than the heavy-duty wheeled Rossignol Soul Super. This bag is big enough to hold skis for the whole family and durable for years of use.
- Size: 210 cm length x 30 cm width x 21 cm height
- Made of a tough Ripstop material with a PVC Coating
- Fits: 2 Pair Alpine Skis or 4 Pair Nordic Skis, up to 210 cm
- Internal Straps to hold down skis so they don’t move during transport
- Nylon compression straps adds an additional level of protection and keeps items in the bag from shifting.
- Durable, heavy-duty wheels for easy transport. Especially great when hauling long distances.
- Abrasion and tear resistant lining
- Lots of internal storage and compartments makes it easy to organize and find your gear.
- Perfect for a family or multi skier traveler
Another big, roomy, wheeled ski bag with room for two pairs of skis, a set of poles and a pair of boots. Perfect for making lugging a ton of equipment seem almost effortless. Padding keeps your equipment safe and sound.
- Bestselling wheeled ski bag from Dakine
- Tow handle and oversize urethane wheels make for easy one-hand navigation through airports and hotel lobbies.
- Removable Boot Bag keeps skis separated and protected by placing boots between them. Boot bag is removable but is designed to really just be used with the Dakine ski bag and not on its own.
- Zippered external pockets is the perfect place to stash gloves, hats and important tools
- Lockable zipper (with your own lock)
- 360 degrees padded ski bag offers the perfect amount of protection
- Holds 2 pair skis and 1 pair boots, poles and outerwear
- Dimensions: 175cm – 12” x 8” x 74” (30 x 20 x 188cm), 190cm – 12” x 8” x 80” (30 x 20 x 203cm)
- 6.2 lbs. (2.8 kg)
- Assorted colors available
Hard Case Ski Bags
If you are looking for the best bang for your buck, for protection, this is the bag for you. The large, rolling hard case Sportube makes transporting easy and offers lots of protection against airline baggage mishandling or shipping.
- High Density Polyethylene plastic case protects valuable ski equipment when traveling by airplane, train, bus or car
- Durable rubber wheels and an easy pull handle insure maneuverability and effortless rolling.
- Large capacity, ski bag holds up to 3 pair of skis & poles, or two snowboards, boots & bindings or a board & skis safely.
- The Telescoping design allows you to adjust the length of the Sporttube to allow skis and boards up to 183 cm in length
- The aerodynamic design, straps quickly and easily to a roof rack and makes it the perfect carrier for road trips.
- Can be secured with the included TSA approved Wire Case Cotter Pin or locked with a TSA Lock (sold separately)
- Lightweight compared to other hard plastic ski bag carriers.
- Light partially padded in tip and tail to protect your equipment
- FedEx / UPS Ship without the need for a box
- Made in USA
Padded Ski Bags
Fully padded ski bags are very popular as they offer almost as much protection for your equipment as a hard plastic ski case because it offers thick foam padding that fully wraps the entire cargo space.
- Made of high density polyester
- Waterproof backing.
- Holds one pair of skis up 180cm
- Adjustable cinch straps to securely hold your skis.
- Fully padded end to end for ultimate protection of your equipment and ski gear
- Padded, comfort grip handles
- Self healing nylon zipper means that if the closed zipper were to come apart you can simply unzip and re-zip the bag and it will close again properly (or self heal).
- It has extremely thick padding and is very durable.
- Horizontal straps and a vertical strap so the bag can be hung from the end strap, so it takes up less space
- Fun all-over Bandanna or Grafitti design means you will easily recognize your bag.
Athletico Padded Two-Piece Ski & Boot Bag Combo
The Athletico padded two-piece set offers protection and versatility with both a dedicated ski bag and a separate boot bag.
- Made of durable 600D water-resistant polyester
- Both the ski bag and the boot bag are padded with 5 millimeter foam throughout to protect all your ski gear and equipment during travel.
- Padded ski sleeve fits skis up to 200 cm in length.
- Ski bag is roomy enough to pack your beanie, pants, gloves, or goggles.
- Innovative roll-top design allows you to reduce the length for shorter skis.
- The boot bag fits ski boots up to size 13.
- Carrying handle and detachable shoulder straps makes carrying your skis easy.
- Boot Bag has a mesh side pocket for more stuff!
- Available in assorted colors: Black/White, Black/Blue, Black/Green, Black/Pink
Thule is world renowned for heavy-duty traveling cases of all kinds to protect your most important gear. This high quality, padded ski bag is no different. Smart features and innovative design sets this bag apart
- S-shaped zipper simplifies stowing and retrieving gear with an innovative s-shaped zipper that coils around the bag instead of just zipping straight.
- Unique padded, cinch top ski sleeve ensures all your ski gear travels safely to each destination
- Dedicated internal pole compartment offers added protection for ski poles.
- External compression straps keeps your gear from shifting
- Removable, padded shoulder strap and convenient grab handles makes handling a breeze.
- Fits a single pair of alpine skis or two pairs of Nordic skis up to 192 cm in length plus poles.
- Made of durable 600D polyester
- Deter theft with lockable zippers (lock sold separately).
- Colors: Black and Blue
- The Thule Round Trip ski bag comes in a wheeled version also
Non Padded Ski Bags
Ski Bags without padding do not offer protection from bumps, drops and overall mishandling. This type of bag is really only good for road trips or storage.
- Basic Ski & Boot Bag that is water resistant
- Ski bag has a 3/4 length zipper
- Holds up to 200 cm skis
- Boot bag holds a single pair of ski boots up to size 13.
- One end of this ski bag can fold up to secure shorter skis.
- Self-repairing nylon coil zippers.
- Durable padded, webbing handles
- Adjustable compression strap keeps skis secure
- Available in assorted colors and patterns
- Perfect for the minimalist this is an affordable bag with basic protection
What are your thoughts on these Best Travel Ski Bags? Do you use a ski bag to travel to different ski resorts? Is traveling with your own skis worth the hassle of lugging these bags around? Do you use them for airplane travel or usually just car travel. What features can you not live without on your ski bag? We would love to hear your thoughts and comments.