Welcome to ThinkVail – we hope you find this article about the best warm, waterproof winter boots for women helpful.
Winter in Vail, Colorado, is snowy, long, cold and lots of fun, IF, you have a good pair of warm, waterproof winter boots. The right boots make ALL the difference in the world, so if you’re looking to take winter head-on, this season, you have to check out this selection of boots.
What To Look For
The warmth factor is huge when choosing a good pair of winter boots. Here’s the important features to look for when choosing for warmth.
- Insulation – The main ingredient keeping feet warm. Look for wool, polypropylene, PrimaLoft, Thinsulate or other special materials with 400-800 grams of insulation so feet stay warm on cold days. Go lighter insulation if your looking for an urban winter boot, that does not need to be so heavy-duty.
- Removable Liners– Pac boots have removable liners. So liners can be taken out, dried quickly and be ready for the next adventure. Removable also means easy cleaning. Look for liners made of polypropylene, wool, acrylic, or materials like Zylex.
- Correct Fit – A boot that fits too tight cuts off circulation, decreases blood flow and guarantee cold feet. The same goes for wearing to thick of a sock in your boot. Your feet (and toes) need a little wiggle room to stay toasty.
- Temperature Ratings – Temperature rating is the manufacturer’s recommendation for the coldest temperature the boot can comfortably protect against. Temperature ratings can be a good guide but can be misleading as many factors contribute to feet staying warm, such as circulation, level of exertion, sock choice, and boot fit.
Making sure you don’t start sliding down a slippery slope is also very important, a good winter boot keeps it’s footing on a variety of slippery surfaces.
- Lugs – Traction is determined by the size and depth of the channels and bumps in the boots sole. Big, deep lugs offer the best protection against slips and falls.
- Sole Material – Far and away, the most common material for a boot’s sole is rubber, but there are many classes and qualities of rubber.
- Add Ice Cleats – if you find that your boots don’t have enough traction to make you comfortable add a set of over-the-boot winter ice cleats for more traction and security.
Keeping your feet dry is one of the best ways to keep your feet warm. If you’re looking to keep your feet dry you must buy waterproof boots NOT water resistant boots.
Waterproof Materials – Waterproof materials include leather, suede, nylon or GORE-TEX, textiles with PU or DWR water-proof coatings
Breathability and wicking abilities are also important features in a winter boot. If your feet are sweaty and wet, that wetness has nowhere to go, your feet will be cold. Look for boots that allow your feet to breathe and wicks moisture away from your skin. This can also be achieved through the use of the right winter sock too.
Warm, Waterproof, Winter Boots for Women
Uggs need no introduction. Where there is cold and snow, there are Uggs to help people battle the elements. These Uggs are warm, durable fashionable and strive to empower women. You will love these boots for years, and years and years.
- Made of premium leather so very waterproof.
- Extra warm 17 MM wool lining and insoles and toe box to keep your feet toasty
- DryTech Technology, Weather Rated to -32˚C
- Cuffable Sherpa fleece shaft
- 7″ shaft height
- Wide Spider rubber outsole helps distribute weight increases traction and is very durable.
- Outsole is also constructed to stay flexible in freezing temps
- Dual density EVA midsole
- Waterproof bootie construction
- Fully waterproof
- Ideal for the harsh conditions of winter like heavy rain and heavy snow
- Designed specifically for movement and comfort
- extra warm insulation, a cushioning insole, and a higher
- Available in 3 colors
- Available in a taller style
- Single boot weighs 1 lb.
These NorthFace Shellista snow boots will help you take winter by storm. North Face offers tons of high tech features to keep you warm and dry all season. Another quality, great looking, comfortable product from a leader in outdoor adventure fun
- Premium-leather offers unsurpassed waterproof protection
- Premium heathered wool panels with suede and leather details offers a cool, streamlined look.
- 200 g PrimaLoft® Insulation Eco keep you warm and allows them to breathe
- Women-specific, injection-molded, waterproof TPR shell
- Durable TNF Winter Grip® rubber outsole
- IcePick® temperature-sensitive rubber lugs for increased traction no matter the conditions
- Shaft measures: 11 in
- Fluffy, faux fur collar feels great
- Tall, mid-calf style, lace-up boots with slightly narrower toe box
- Lace-up design for a secure fit
- Lightly cushioned, removable foot bed offers all-day support and comfort.
- Limited 1-year warranty
- Available in a variety of colors
- Single boot weighs 1.5 lbs
This is the classic look of winter. The Sorel winter boot is legendary for keeping your feet warm and comfortable all winter long and it is one of my personal favorites. I have never gone a season without them. They are long-lasting and good looking, enjoy winter again with these boots!
- 100% full grain leather for amazing waterproof characteristics
- Removable 6 mm washable recycled wool felt inner boot keeps your feet super warm all day
- Faux fur cuff looks AWESOME but also available in a knit cuff too.
- Vulcanized rubber sole is very durable and offers lots of traction on wet and icy surfaces
- Shaft measures approximately 12″ from arch
- Chic lace-up style with heavy-duty metal D-rings holds your foot securely
- Made with waterproof suede and features a seam-sealed waterproof construction;
- An iconic boot that delivers
- Weather rated to -25°F/-32°C.
- These are heavier than others with each boot weighing about 2 lbs.
- They really shine in deep heavy snow
Oboz Footwear hails from Bozeman Montana, they love the outdoors and design great footwear so you can enjoy the outdoors longer and more comfortably. They also believe in giving back. They plant a tree for every pair of shoes sold and donate unsellable shoes to those in need. These winter boots might be just what you’re looking for.
- Tape-sealed polyurethane film bootie with Hydrophobic upper materials and moisture wicking textile lining make these boots very waterproof.
- 3M Thinsulate insulation’s traps warm air in to keep you toasty on the coldest days. Available in 400, 200 and 100 gram weight
- The O FIT Thermal Insole delivers fit, feel and performance.
- Insulated top sheet for warmth and a Mylar bottom sheet reflects heat back to your foot, keeping toes nice and cozy.
- Granite Peak Midsole features a TPU Chassis that boosts stability without inhibiting flex.
- Nylon shank offers added support between heel and forefoot.
- Single-density EVA provides cushioning and comfort.
- Granite Peak Outsole is supportive and protective and features a winter rubber that grips.
- Rubber toe cap protects your toes from rocks and ice.
- Designed to put your foot in a neutral position.
- EVA pods provide shock absorption and rebound.
- Shaft measures 7″
Sperry has been making high quality boots and footwear for more than 80 years. They offer unique handcrafted shoes that have stood the test of time. These boots like everything they make highlights their commitment to quality, reliability and comfort.
- Leather and synthetic materials ensure these boots are completely waterproof
- Synthetic rubber sole for good traction on slippery surfaces
- Shorter boot – shaft measures approximately ankle-high from arch.
- Seam-sealed waterproof construction keeps feet dry in wet conditions
- 200G Thinsulate lined for added warmth
- Stylish but still feminine, these cozy winter boot have all the bells and whistles
- Fleece-lined for added warmth and comfort
- Features non-marking lugged rubber outsole
- Available in 5 cool colors
- Lightweight: about a half pound per boot
These ArcticShield boots are not as heavy-duty as others on this list but they are very affordable, super fashionable and will keep your feet warm when the mercury drops and the snow begins to fall. A great addition to the winter closet.
- Heat-resistant ArcticShield RetainTechnology insulation captures and returns 90% of your body heat.
- Waterproof outer material keeps you warm and dry in the snowy and muddy outdoors
- Memory foam insoles for cushion, support and comfort.
- Lightweight and windproof
- Durable rubber soles with slip-resistant patches for all-terrain traction.
- Fold-over fur collar or collar up offer versatility with your look.
- Stylish and practical
- Each boot weighs 1.2 lbs
Timberland is known the world over for making outstanding outdoor products since 1952. They were the pioneers of the original waterproof boot back in 1973 and has been leading the pack in warm winter boots ever since.
- Premium leather and synthetic materials make this classic boot naturally waterproof.
- Rubber lug sole
- Warm wool/cotton herringbone lining
- OrthoLite® footbeds
- Two-part flex insoles
- EVA midsoles
- Shaft measures approximately ankle-high from arch
- Padded leather collar makes this workboot inspired footwear really comfortable.
- Lace up style keeps your feet snug and secure.
- Lightweight about 1 lb per boot
- Heel height is 1.5 inches/3.5 cm
- Available in a variety of colors
Baffin Footwear has been designing and constructing molded insulated and non-insulated footwear products for more than 25 years. These bomber performance boots are ideal for conquering cold temperatures. bafin promises more warmth, better fit, and superior comfort
- Constructed of premium leather, nubuck and suede
- Temperature rating:10ºC/50ºF to -10ºC/14ºF
- Rubber sole for traction and durability
- Tall, knee-high snow boot with felt top panel
- Seam-sealed waterproof upper
- Elastic D-ring lacing with tassel finish
- Full-length instep zipper and elastic calf panel makes it easy to get in and out of this snow boot.
- Light Thermaplush insulation offers breathable, next-to-foot comfort
- Waterproof bootie membrane
- Removable insole
- EVA midsole with Premium Rubber Outsole
- Faux-fur lining with stylish collar buckle
- Sole and midsole are molded to the base in one continuous process.
Come on, Doc Martens are legendary, they have always been perfect for the urban landscape but innovative features like fluffy faux fur lining and naturally waterproof leather make them the perfect Go-To winter snow boot too. Get ready for lots of compliments with these boots.
- Premium leather with subtle grain variations
- Winterized version enjoys a soft faux fur lining to keep your feet toasty warm.
- Features the iconic Dr. Martens air-cushioned sole, oil and fat resistant with good traction and slip resistance
- Classic grooved edges
- Traditional visible stitching and heel-loo
- Shaft measures approximately mid-calf from arch
- Constructed for comfort on the iconic Dr. Martens air-cushioned sole
- Goodyear-welted, meaning the upper and sole are sewn together in our heat-sealed z-welt stitch.
- Fashion forward snow boot that keeps feet warm and dry
- Available in Black and Brown leather.
Since 1889 Kamik has been creating amazing products from its family-owned and operated business based in Canada.
Each new pair of Kamiks comes with over 120+ years of history and expertise. These boots are geared towards keeping your feet warm, dry and comfortable, and doing so, in an environmentally friendly and eco-sustainable way.
- Constructed of genuine Nubuck leather & suede, materials that offer natural protection from the elements.
- Cute water resistant flannel panel at top of the boot offers a unique stylish twist.
- 200g 3M™ Thinsulate™ Insulation keeps you warm, even in wet conditions.
- Enhanced rubber sole is lightweight and strong with superior traction and flexibility and is 100% recyclable.
- Temperature rating:to -20ºC/-4ºF
- Waterproof seam-sealed to block moisture
- Shaft measures approximately 9.25″ from arch
- Made in USA or Canada
- Traditional lace-up style boot with sturdy fabric laces and metal hardware for a secure fit.
- Heel pull loop.
- Moisture-wicking fleece lining for added comfort and breathability.
- Molded EVA insole with antibacterial treatment for comfort and an odor-free footbed.
- Unique tread pattern boasts excellent traction.
- Weight: 1 lb 6 oz per boot
We hope you found this article about the best waterproof, warm winter boots for women helpful. What is your favorite waterproof, warm winter snow boot? Did you have one and now it’s been changed or discontinued? I hate when that happens, super frustrating. Please let us know your thoughts, comments and stories about your favorite warm, winter boots, we would love to hear them. And if you have any input or experience with the bots listed above please, pass on your knowledge we want to know what you think!