Welcome to ThinkVail – we hope you find this article about the best winter jackets for women helpful.
Having a warm, high-quality, waterproof ski jacket that lets you comfortably play in the snow is a necessity here in Vail, Colorado. It’s important to pick the right one
Whether you’re clearing snow from your car, snow plowing down the bunny run at the ski resort or hitting it hard off-piste in the backcountry, a good ski jacket is the difference between just getting through the winter and wanting to be out playing in the snow all season long. Here are some great suggestions to make all your outdoor adventures more fun.
Types of Ski Jackets
Generally, jackets fall under five categories; shells, insulated jackets, technical shells, soft shells, and 3-in-1 jackets.
The majority of jackets you see on the ski hill are un-insulated shells. Shells are super versatile. They are generally waterproof or at least water resistant with at the least, some taped seams, and often feature vents for breathability. Shells can be layered with additional clothing to keep you warm on colder day or wear it with just a base layer for spring skiing on a sunny day.
Insulated jackets are ideal in cold conditions or if your internal thermostat just runs colder. This type of jacket features an outer shell and a built-in layer of insulation, such as, down or synthetic insulation like Primaloft or Thinsulate to keep you warm.
Technical shells are a game changer for outdoor adventurists, allowing them to spend more time on the mountain. They feature lightweight, highly breathable fabrics to keep you comfortable no matter the conditions. These high quality shells are very waterproof with fully taped seams and constructed from high-end materials such as Gore-Tex. They are almost always more expensive but if you love being outdoors, it’s worth it and necessary.
Soft shell jackets feature soft, stretchy fabrics with waterproof properties and are super breathable. Air moves more freely through it, which means body heat and sweat can be easily transferred away from the skin. Soft Shell are a great choice for milder climates, spring skiing or as an under layer on colder days.
By far the most versatile jacket style, the 3-in-1 jacket feature an outer shell jacket and an inner insulated soft shell that usually zips into the outer shell. This gives you the option of wearing just the shell when it’s mild and wet, zipping both together when temperatures drop, or wearing just the soft shell when it’s really warm and dry. They are perfect for tackling a range of conditions, so you are always prepared.
Ski Jacket Features
Vents – Venting is important to wick perspiration and to keep you from overheating. Vents are usually positioned under the arms, on the back or around the chest. Vents may be open, mesh lined or zippered.
Adjustable Cuffs & Wrist Gaiters – Adjustable cuffs will cinch down to fit under gauntlet style gloves, or tighten over the glove. Wrist gaiters is another name for cuff to keep snow out. Some wrist gaiters also have thumb holes for extra warmth and to make sure no snow gets into your sleeve.
Powder Skirts – are mostly found in insulated and 3-in-1 jackets. They are also called waist gaiters, a powder skirt is designed to keep snow from getting up your back when you fall. Skirts are usually fixed or removable with loops, snaps or zippers for attaching. Removable skirts are nice so you can get them out of your way when you don’t need them.
Helmet Compatible Hood – Easily fits over a ski helmet and keeps snow from getting down your neck if it starts snowing or you’re going through deep powder.
Taped Seams – Allows the jacket to be 100% waterproof, by covering the holes from the stitching so water cannot leak in.
Best Winter Ski Jackets for Women
Arc’teryx is known to design unrivaled outdoor technical gear that protects you from the elements. There innovative features insures you are always warm, comfortable and dry. This ski jacket encompasses all of these items and looks good doing it.
- Made from a 3-layer Gore-Tex, Pro 70D, nylon, plain weave material
- Laminated with Durable Water Repellent (DWR) finish that repels moisture
- Fully taped seams keep water out so you stay dry
- Relaxed fit allows for easy layering
- Hip length offers good coverage
- Adjustable, helmet compatible hood has laminated brim
- A durable, breathable, waterproof, windproof ski jacket made specifically for women
- Lightweight and packs up small in your suitcase, ski bag or backpack.
- Water tight full-front zip with micro corded zipper pulls
- Tall, chin guard collar with soft, brushed micro suede.
- Laminated high-strength hanger loop
- DryCuff laminated adjustable cuffs
- Drop back hem with adjustable hem drawcord
- Gusseted underarms for full range of motion and comfort
- Articulated elbows
- Pockets include an internal chest pocket with zip and two zippered hand pockets
- This jacket comes in lots of colors to fit your lifestyle and personal preference
Kjus has a passion for excellence, and their technical prowess has taken the ski industry by storm since the company was started, back in 2000. It is their mission to create ski clothing based on freedom of movement and comfort and this jacket is a perfect example.
- Unique, one-of-a-kind, fully knitted, winter jacket is a breakthrough in ski technology
- Made of a 4-way stretch, two-layer fabric that is exceptionally flexible and comfortable.
- 10K waterproofing rating and Durable Water Repellent (DWR) finish will keep you dry no matter the conditions
- Removable hood can be adjusted in a hurry with just one hand, even if it’s gloved.
- Enjoy the softness of knit combined with the protection of a winter jacket.
- This jacket boasts tons of flexibility and freedom of movement.
- 20K breathability rating keeps you dry while wicking away sweat
- Styled with a slim fit and mesh shoulder inserts for perfect climate control
- Fleece lining
- Underarm venting
- Waist pockets
- Soft chin guard with neck gaiter
- Available in black, blue and red
Helly Hansen was founded in Norway in 1877 and they have been making professional grade ski gear ever since. They were the very first to invent supple waterproof fabrics over 140 years ago and have been innovating ever since. These guys really know what they are doing!
- Primaloft Lux insulation keeps you extra warm on the slopes
- Durable Water Repellent treatment (DWR) keeps you drive.
- RECCO Advanced Rescue system means you have a built-in avalanche beacon inside your coat.
- Soft comfortable lining
- Clean and minimalist design is always in fashion.
- Waterproof, windproof and breathable fabric
- Wrist gaiters with thumb holes
- Snap-away snow skirt
- Helmet-compatible hood
- Ski-pass pocket
- Soft brushed Tricot lining inside collar and chin guard
- Articulated arms for lots of mobility
- Pockets include: dual hand warming pockets, chest pocket, internal pockets, ski-pass pocket and a Life Pocket™ with Primaloft™ Insulation engineered to extend the battery life of your personal electronics.
- YKK® Zippers
The North Face has been the Go-To company for outdoor enthusiasts for years. They are known the world over for high quality, durable, technical snow sports clothing, gear and accessories. One of the first companies to offer a lifetime guarantee on many of their products. The North Face pushes their limits so you can push yours.
- A 3-1 layering system ski jacket that offers tons of versatility
- Waterproof, breathable, slim-fit shell made with DryVent 2.5L
- Removable inner jacket liner has Thermoball Eco insulation for extra warmth on cold winter days.
- Wear the shell alone, wear the liner alone or zip the shell and liner together for a fully functional coat that protects you from all the elements.
- 100% windproof fabric
- Zip-in-compatible integration with complementing garments from The North Face
- Attached, fully adjustable hood
- Mechanical stretch and Raglan sleeves insures mobility and comfort as you ski down the slopes.
- Attached fully adjustable hood
- Adjustable Velcro cuffs with elastic binding
- Drop tail hem with draw cord hem
- Water resistant coating
- Waist pockets
- Underarm venting
- Front zipper storm flap
- Zippered, welt hand pockets
Sport Obermeyer is another leader in the ski industry. With an office in Aspen, Colorado, Obermeyer knows what’s needed to keep you warm and comfortable so you can spend more time on the slopes or in the backcountry
- Made from two-layer DRYRIDE fabric for the perfect blend of light insulation and weather-proofing for a simply stylish look.
- Regular fit.
- Articulated, fully taped seams improve range of motion and keep out the weather.
- Mechanical stretch shell improves range of motion.
- Offers a high degree of breathability helps wick perspiration.
- Waterproof and windproof protection.
- Body-mapped design places variable insulation thickness for targeted warmth.
- Fiber Down polyfill insulation mimics the low weight and high warmth retention of down.
- YKK® zippers
- Removable hood with adjustable drawcord and hook-and-loop back tab.
- Stand-up collar with soft Sherpa fleece lining and zipper garage.
- Full-length zip with inner storm flap.
- Flap chest pockets with stacked zip pocket at left.
- Zip hand pockets with warm tricot lining.
- Inner cell phone pocket with headphone cord router.
- Adjustable snap-tab cuffs with inner elastic gaiter.
- Straight hem with inner draw cord.
- Snap-Away™ removable powder skirt
- Removable helmet-compatible hood and faux fur trim
- Mesh-lined sleeve vents add breathability
The Spyder brand is the synonymous with skiing in style and this jacket, with its gorgeous prints, technical fabrics and classic styling is the perfect compliment for a day on the slopes. It has everything you could want in a ski jacket
- Made of Spyder’s proprietary Xt 10k/10k Laminate and Spylon DWR hydrophobic ﬁnish to repel rain and snow and decreases dry time.
- Utilizes HydroWEB, an ultra-thin membrane that delivers superior waterprooﬁng and breathability. Snow and rain are blocked from penetrating the outer shell.
- Premium ThermaWEB synthetic insulation to keep you warm while wicking moisture away from skin
- This jacket efficiently holds body heat while maintaining breathability.
- Removable hood is helmet-compatible and has stylish faux fur trim.
- All critical seams are taped to keep out the weather.
- Soft, comfortable brushed microfiber inner collar.
- Interior stretch cuffs at wrist keeps out snow.
- Internal zippered pocket.
- Bicep pocket holds ski pass or other essentials.
- Crosshatch Mini Herringbone pattern adds subtle style to this jacket
- Available in black white and red
Whether your skiing or snowboarding you will do it in style with the Burton Prowess ski jacket. A functional, fashion forward design that has all the bells and whistles for a great day on the slopes or in the backcountry.
- Made of waterproof and breathable DRYRIDE 2L fabric outperforms other lesser ski jackets to keep you out on the hill longer.
- Forty percent recycled-content Thermolite insulation has hollow core fibers to trap warm air, plus a larger surface area to boost the evaporation of moisture
- Exclusive thermo-regulating Living Lining offers the ultimate in adaptable warmth and consistent comfort.
- Taped seams are the ultimate foul weather seal.
- Media pocket for goggles or media devices of all shapes and sizes.
- Internal mesh dump pocket is large and easily accessible
- No armpit zippered vents
- Exaggerated drop tail adds style and seals out the cold
- Sherpa fleece inside the collar for added warmth.
- Available in tons of colors and patterns
Designed for performance skiers who tackle a variety of conditions and terrain. For thrill seekers searching for adventure and looking for a jacket that can keep up, you just found it!
- Combines a durable 4-way stretch shell fabric with BD dry™ an engineered laminate for the perfect waterproof, windproof and breathable solution.
- One chest pocket, two mesh internal drop pockets, front hand pockets and lift pass pocket on the left arm.
- Removable, internal powder skirt adds versatility for variable conditions.
- Durable Water Repellent (DWR)-treated under arm zip vents for easy temperature regulation.
- Waterproof full front zipper is PU coated.
- Helmet-compatible, adjustable hood for added protection on stormy days.
- Adjustable cuffs can go over or under gloves depending on what’s needed.
- Relaxed fit
- 3-layer fabric designed to move with you when you move
- Fully seam-taped.
- 20,000 mm waterproof rating for protection you can rely on in the mountains.
Roxy is a dedicated women’s line of ski gear that was made specifically for spirited, adventurous women who love the outdoors. Roxy’s fashionable, gorgeous, bold prints will make every day on the mountain more fun, comfortable and stylish.
- 15K ROXY DryFlight® technology for serious waterproofing and breathability
- Environmentally friendly thanks to be constructed from Recycled fabric: REPREVE™ traceable, recycled 4-way stretch polyester made from plastic bottles
- PrimaLoft® Black Insulation keeps you warm even on really cold days.
- Lightweight polyester taffeta lining with brushed tricot
- Features unique, bold, pop colors
- Form-fitting slim silhouette is feminine and flattering.
- 3M Thinsulate bulk-free warmth to ensure you stay warm and dry.
- Multiple pockets including a chest pocket, internal media pocket and goggle pockets, key clip and a ski pass pocket on the sleeve
- Fully taped seams
- Snap-away powder skirt with a jacket-to-pant attachment system
- Chin guard with integrated ROXY X Biotherm Enjoy & Care moisturizing collar that cares for your skin in harsh conditions.
- Boasts low bulk and high warmth insulation
- 3-way adjustable and removable hood
- Heavy-duty YKK zippers
- Mesh lined underarm vents
- Internal stretch wrist gaiters with thumb hole
Mountain Hardwear is a subsidiary of Columbia Sportswear and they design and fulfill the high performance needs of snow sport athletes, and those who embrace the outdoor lifestyle. If you’re looking for hard-working, high quality, performance gear with the latest features and technology, you needn’t look any further than Mountain Hardwear.
- Constructed with two layer waterproof shell fabric
- Lightweight Thermal Q synthetic stretch insulation keeps you warm.
- Flattering, feminine style
- Internal powder skirt keeps your core free of snow
- An adjustable drawcord hem for a more customized fit
- Articulated cuffs with Velcro® adjustment tabs keeps snow out of your wrist and hand area.
- Underarm zip vents keeps you comfortable and perspiration free.
- Adjustable, helmet compatible hood with 3-way adjustable drawcord
- Four external pockets includes two zippered hand pockets and two zippered chest pockets
- Available in a variety of colors including red, blue, green and purple
We hope you found this article about the best winter ski jackets for women helpful. What is your favorite name brand ski jacket? What is your must-have feature in a ski jacket that makes a day on the mountain so much easier and comfortable. Have you ever had any epic ski jacket fails? We would love to hear your thoughts, comments and especially stories about how your jacket helped or hindered your day on the ski slopes. Thanks so much for reading!