Welcome to ThinkVail – we hope you find this article about Tools for High Altitude Gardening in Colorado helpful.
Gardening anywhere in the Rocky Mountains is not for the fainthearted. The ground is hard and rocky, the sun is intense, there is very little rain, but lots of snow and the local wildlife wants to eat whatever it is that you just planted! The challenges can be overwhelming to say the least.
This list of the best high altitude gardening tools promises to give your green thumb a hand. These tools will make creating and maintaining your mountain yard and gardens so much easier and satisfying. So read this article and get out there and get planting!
Best Tools for High Altitude Gardening
The Rachio Smart Sprinkler Controller is the perfect tool for high country gardeners. It’s all about watering at the right times in the mountains. This app lets you water your lawn and gardens right from your phone. If you are a fan of connected technology you will love this easy and convenient sprinkler controller.
- Download the easy-to-use Rachio app to water your lawn remotely with your smartphone, tablet or laptop.
- Use a connected home system or run zones directly from the controller itself.
- Water on your own schedules or water depending on plant type and sun exposure. Start, skip or pause zones right form your phone.
- Detects leaks and maximize watering precision and detect even low-flow leaks before they reach crisis mode.
- The Rachio is smart and utilizes local weather stations to automatically adjust your irrigation schedule based on the latest local forecasts. So no watering in the rain even if your miles away from your home.
- This controller saves TONS of water, so reduce your water bill by up to 50% while keeping your yard healthy.
- EPA WaterSense certified – eligible for utility rebates of up to 100% off (check your local water provider).
- Works with top smart-home platforms, including Amazon Alexa and Google Home
- Install it yourself – easy and no special tools or expertise required.
- Amazon’s highest-rated WiFi sprinkler controller.
This cordless electric lawnmower is exactly what you need. Pushing any kind of mower at elevation is exhausting, this one is light quiet and so much better that a gas powered mower or and hard-to- push reel mower. You will love how much easier it is to mow with an electric mower and smart features makes this a mower that is a dream to use.
- Durable steel deck allows you to handle large areas of grass quickly and easily
- Brushless motor provides more torque, quiet operation, and longer life
- 3-In-1 design allows you to mulch, rear bag, or side discharge your grass clippings.
- Dual battery port design enables one battery to be stored in the mower while the other fuels it for uninterrupted cutting; saving you a trip to the charger.
- USB port in battery charges all portable electronic devices, including phones and tablets.
- 40V is best for yards up to ½ acre.
- The universal 40-volt battery system powers more than 50+ products, that can all run off the same 40V battery.
- So you can have multiples of the SAME battery insuring you’ll never run out of power.
- Enjoy powerful performance, that works efficiently, quietly and with no emissions.
- Quick push-button start is AWESOME
- Lightweight means it’s easy to push uphill, the self-propelled version means you don’t even really have to push it.
- Vertical storage means the mower folds up and can be hung on a hook to keep it out of the way
- Available Push and Self Propelled
- Available in 16, 20 and 21-inch sized decks
To keep your backyard and gardens looking your best you need tools, keep all your tools neatly organized and know where there at all times with this amazing wall mounted tool rack.
- Organize all of outdoor tools including, shovels, push brooms, rakes, hoes, pails, weed whacker, chain saw, even your vertical lawn mower.
- Ideal for holding your tools on the outside of your home, in your garage, workshop, basement or shed.
- Hold up to 400 lbs (240KG).
- Germany Certified by “GS. Safety Guaranteed”
- Powder-coated steel for durability and resists rusting, chipping and cracking.
- Each hook is coated with rubber to prevent the tools from scratching.
- Package include two (2) 24″ Steel Rail and 7 different hooks.
- Each hook can be easily moved on the rail horizontally to accommodating different size tools and maximize space.
- Heavy duty mounting hardware
Winters can be tough in the mountains, cold temps and deep snow are hard on hoses. Don’t worry about freezing, brittle, stiff hoses anymore. Whether your watering horses or just forgot to put the hose away before the first snowfall, this hose stays flexible and kink-free year round. Perfect for Colorado gardeners.
- This hose is made of a special polymer blend that allows for all-weather flexibility, even in subzero temperatures (-40° to 140°F), making it easy to use even in extreme conditions.
- Heavy duty, abrasion resistant outer cover
- Crush resistant anodized aircraft aluminum fittings means this hose is durable and long-lasting.
- The special hybrid polymer has zero memory, meaning it will lay flat, resist kinks, and can coil easily, making them a breeze to put away, and your sprinkler will stay without twisting. You won’t need to fight your hose anymore.
- Contains superior O-rings, for a leak-free connection.
- Hybrid polymer is lead-free, making it drinking water safe.
- Lightweight and easy to maneuver around flowers, trees, patio furniture and other obstacles.
- Available in 3′,5′,25′,50′,75′, 100′ lengths
- Garden Hose Temperature Rang is: -40 Degree to 150 Degree F Ambient
- Distinctive Green color
The Rocky Mountains are, well, really rocky, and It is no easy task to cultivate any kind of soil here. It is either hard, rocky, infused with thick clay or filled with thick weeds with really long roots. A good tiller will make this job so much easier and shorten the time to do it as well. Whether you’re tilling up your yard to get rid of crabgrass or looking to make your vegetable garden bigger, this tiller will be your best friend.
- Powerful 12-amp motor cultivates up to 16 inches wide x 8 inches deep.
- 6 durable steel angled tines slice through the soil at 340 RPM and will cultivate an area 16-in. wide and up to 8-in. deep in seconds
- Collapsible handle folds for convenient storage and easy transport
- 3-position wheel adjustment.
- Long 100 ft extension cord
- Decibels:93 dB
- Electric power is a greener, cleaner way to till the ground
- Offers maximum aeration and perfectly prepares the seedbed.
- Control weeds where needed
- Easy Push Button Start – no gas
- Rear wheels make it easy to maneuver.
- Two-year warranty.
Wooden trellises begin to break down after two or three seasons. The staples used to hold them together rust away, the metal hangers begin to sag from holding up the ice and snow and they need to be re stained over and over to keep looking nice. Metal trellis are sturdier and need less care. They have metal legs that also go into the ground so are not dependent on just the hangars and your vine can grow happy and not be disturbed every other year for wood trellis maintenance.
- This extra long 108 ” high trellis is perfect for really tall walls
- This trellis has three wide panels that stack on top of each other with a curved top for a bold design
- The diamond-shaped grid supports large vines, climbing plants or flowers
- Features two 7.75 inch long legs that stake securely into the ground, and brackets to safely mount it to a wall.
- The black powder coated finish protects the steel construction from rust and makes it very durable and long-lasting.
- Trellis measures 108 Inch height x 30 Inch width x 2.5 Inch length
- Available in single vertical panel style or triple vertical panel style to cover a really large area.
This cordless weed whacker makes it so easy to keep the edges of your lawn and the area around trees and buildings neat and tidy. Keeping the grass short keeps rodents away from new tender trees and prevents weeds from setting up shop on your lawn.
- Portable battery makes weed whacking so easy without worrying about a cord or gas fumes.
- 20-volt Lithium Ion battery offers a long run time and is long-lasting.
- The PowerDrive Transmission delivers more power from the motor to the cutting string so you can get the job done in less time.
- Automatic Feed Spool ensures continuous feed
- 2-in-1 Tool – easily converts from trimmer to edger in seconds.
- Cutting Swath is 12 Inch wide
- Lightweight design with adjustable handle and height positions makes it great for anyone to use.
- Can handle tough overgrowth and heavy weeds.
- Quiet and easy to start
Perfect for any gardener, this set comes with everything you need to garden, right out of the box. Perfect for new gardeners, experienced gardeners, and makes a great gift for your favorite nature lover!
- Complete kit filled with the right tools.
- Highly durable rust-fighting aluminum tools.
- Pruner has patented spring movements and treated steel blades.
- High Density Foam Kneeling Pad protect knees and reduce knee pain in hips and knees so you can enjoy gardening more.
- Comfortable Grips reduce hand cramps and prevents hand fatigue when pruning, trimming or weeding your garden.
- Tools feel well-balanced in hand.
- Patented spring mechanism and blade construction ensures that after months of use, your blades remain as sharp and effortless as day one.
These are the PERFECT gardening shoes, light but very comfortable and really durable. Easily slip on to move the hose but are also versatile enough for a hike in the back forty. They are very comfortable but also very protective.
- Made from 100% recyclable medical grade material that will last for years.
- Unlike thinner style garden clogs these shoes do not get punctured by sticks, rocks, thistles, rose thorns or any other hazards in the woods.
- Open back, slip-in design
- Supper comfort with lots of cush; includes the “all-day-comfort-insole.”
- Sole thickness: 7mm heel/5mm ball
- 100% waterproof
- Easy to clean just rinse with a hose or clean them in the dishwasher
- Available in Mens and Womens sizes and styles
- Made in the USA
Bobbex Deer Repellent
OK, so no list of high country gardening tools would be complete without deer deterrent spray. In Colorado, like many places, there are just a ton of deer, and although we love to watch them, we don’t love to watch them browsing on our flowers. And although no deer repellent is foolproof this is one of the best.
- Deer repellent is a spray made from all natural and recycled ingredients
- Applied directly on the surface of foliage to repel deer
- It is readily diluted in water
- Environmentally compatible and harmless to all wildlife including humans, pets, birds and aquatic life.
- Ready-to-use reusable pump sprayer can be refilled.
- Bobbex boasts an impressive Protective Index score of 93%, only a physical fence barrier works better.
- This Deer Repellent is effective but it is stinky, it needs about 24-hours for the smell to go away so DO NOT spray right before a dinner party or when you want to enjoy the outdoors around the sprayed area.
- Made of a blend of ingredients that includes active proteins, Meat Meal, Fish Meal and Fish Oil to create a multi-redundancy bad “smell and taste” so the deer don’t want to eat it and will move on.
Thank you for reading this post about High Altitude Gardening in Colorado-The Tools You Need. We hope you found some gardening tools that will help make the challenge of gardening at high altitude easier and more enjoyable. Please let us know what your favorite gardening tool is for your mountain gardening. We would love to hear your thoughts, comments and stories.