Welcome to ThinkVail – we hope you find this article about the safest bike helmets for adults helpful.
Whether your ideal adventure is road biking on Vail Pass or mountain biking down the single track of Vail Mountain you need a really good, bomber-proof helmet to keep your noodle safe in the case of a collision or just going endo over the handlebars.
Road bike and mountain bike (mtb) helmets can be interchangeable but keep in mind that when road biking, the tendency is to slide along the road in a crash while on a mountain bike, the tendency is to fall over or flip on impact (and maybe hit a rock or tree along the way).
Essential Helmet Safety Features
Certification – Since 1999 all bicycle helmet sold in the United States have been required to pass the CPSC helmet standard. CPSC compliant helmets are designed to withstand more than one moderate impact, but protection is provided for only a limited number of impacts.
The CPSC standard strikes a balance in bicycle helmet standards—it’s more demanding than the European standard (EN 1078), but somewhat less demanding than the Snell B-95 standard.
Other bike helmet certifications include:
- ASTM – American Society for Testing & Materials International
- CSA – Canadian Standards Association
- DOT – Department of Transportation
- EN – European Standard from the European Committee for Standardization
- NOCSAE – National Operating Committee on Standards in Athletic Equipment
- Snell – Snell Memorial Foundation
In-Mould and EPS Construction -This process results in a super strong helmet that can withstand a lot of force. In-Mold construction is when a thin piece of plastic is bonded with beads of polystyrene and both are heated and injected with steam under pressure. The steam expands the polystyrene beads, forming them into the shape of the helmet mold, essentially making a tough, complete helmet. When the plastic piece and beads are heated, the plastic piece conforms very tightly to the expanded polystyrene (EPS) foam. It completely bonds to the foam, leaving no gaps, filling every bit of space with shock absorbing foam.
MIPS stands for Multi-Directional Impact Protection System is a revolutionary slip-plane technology, invented by doctors and surgeons, which is believed to redirect energy and provide more protection in certain impacts that include rotational forces.
Proper Fitting Helmet is essential for safety in a collision, the helmet cannot slip or move, it needs to stay put and protect the most vulnerable parts of the head. On the fly adjusting that can be done with one-hand is preferred.
Reflective Properties for night and low light conditions increase visibility and make you more noticeable to other bikers as well as other vehicles.
Lights and Illumination are the best way to make sure you are seen, especially during night riding. More than half of all bicycle accidents happen when it is dark. Cyclists who do not wear reflective gear or lights are more difficult to see at night. Drivers may not be able to see riders in time and may not have enough time to stop their vehicle before a crash.
See Also: Best Mountain Bike Tools
The Safest Bike Helmets
Giro has been innovating for more than 30 years and when it comes to bike helmets, they are obsessed. They are dedicated to the rider’s safety and that is apparent in the use of MIPS, In Mold construction and tough roll cage, all to keep your head protected.
- MIPS equipped to reduce rotational force that occurs in a collision
- In-Mold construction fuses the tough polycarbonate outer shell with impact absorbing foam liner for a super strong structure
- Thermaformed roll cage is a tough polycarbonate skeleton fused to the impact absorbent liner for additional strength and rigidity.
- CPSC Certified
- The Aerodynamic helmet shape is enhanced with deep vents to allow air flow and ventilation and keep you comfortable.
- The Roc Loc Air fit system allows you to customize the fit and fore-aft tilt with the twist of a dial.
- Weighs only 250 grams
- A stylish road helmet that is available in a variety of colors and designs.
POC is a Swedish company who make it their mission to save lives and reduce the severity of accidents and collisions involving cyclists. This has been their focus since 2005 and they do a great job at it.
- Features a silicone pad system, SPIN (Shearing Pad INside), designed to provide similar (or better) protection to MIPS against the effects of rotational impacts, a leading cause of brain injury.
- POC boasts a whole-helmet approach, featuring a fully wrapped unibody shell construction and an EPS liner, that is lightweight and safety oriented
- CPSC Certified
- Precise ventilation ports and internal channels control air intake and release at both low and high speeds.
- Winner of the Design and Innovation Award 2019
- Enhance a rider’s aerodynamic profile and minimizes drag.
- Aerodynamically optimized trailing edge reduces turbulence.
- Weighs 270 grams
- Lightweight size adjustment system guarantees a personalized, custom fit
- Eye garage for easy and secure storage of sunglasses when not in use is pretty cool.
- This road helmet is available in a variety of colors and in matte a glossy
Based in Italy, KASK has been developing, designing, and manufacturing safety helmets of the highest quality since 2005. Their helmets dominate the field and enjoy marked success and their brand is one of the top in the industry.
- Constructed with “In Molding” technology, a polycarbonate cover, covers the cap, ring and the rear of the helmet, ensuring complete protection.
- Provides complete protection and comfort for aggressive trail riding, enduro riding, XC racing and casual off-road riding.
- The rider’s entire head is protected, from the temporal bone to the lower occipital.
- Featuring Italian design and craftsmanship, each helmet is handmade.
- The Octofit adjustment system ensures a perfect fit with an easy-to-adjust micro dial at the back of the helmet.
- Weighs 270grams
- CoolMax padding and eco-leather chinstrap
- Adjustable visor
- Built-in Go Pro camera mount makes it easy to capture all of your adventures
- Sunglass holder
- CPSC Certified
- Boasts extremely low drag,
- Offers excellent air outflow no matter what position the riders head is in.
- Floating internal cradle combine internal gel pads for comfort and is designed to oscillate freely through 180° The Skeletal
- Cradle brackets provide additional support.
- Coolmax removable and washable lining is treated with an antibacterial and antimicrobial formula.
- Mountain bike helmet is available in a variety of colors including Red, Blue, Black and White
Bell’s founder built his company on meeting the unmet needs of those with a speed-hungry disposition. For more than 60 years they have been focused on functionality, performance and innovation and they have succeeded beautifully.
- Integrated MIPS helps reduce rotational force from many types of impact.
- In-Mold polycarbonate outer shell bonds withthe EPS foam liner to create a strong, sturdier helmet.
- An additional lightweight, internal roll cage for maximum protection.
- Sleek, compact overall design
- Multi-adjustable Float Fit retention
- Generous vents and aerodynamics provide ample airflow to keep things cool.
- Reflective strip increases visibility at night or during low light.
- Adjust the fit with an easy-to-turn dial for personalized adjustments (integrated with MIPS). Quick-adjust fasteners keep straps flat and properly positioned
- Sweat guide pad pulls moisture away from the brow and eye area.
- Mountain Bike Helmet is available in a large variety of colors
- CPSC compliant
If you love skateboarding AND biking than this is the helmet for you. With a spokesperson like Tony Hawk you have to expect a really great product and the Triple Eight Gotham does not disappoint.
- MIPS Technology – Multi-directional Impact Protection System that reduces rotational forces during impact.
- EPS interior liner offers maximum protection
- Vented ABS outer shell with subtle brim
- Dual Certified, complies with CPSC Bike and ASTM F-1492 Skate safety standards
- Ideal for biking, skateboarding, rollerblading, BMX, derby, and commuting
- Includes two sets of removable, washable, terrycloth sweat saver pads & liners.
- Adjustable, reflective dial system, and chin strap with side release buckle for custom fit and better visibility at night
- 180-day Manufacturer’s warranty
- Available in Blue, Black and White
- Urban-style helmet looks awesome
Lumos takes helmet safety to a whole new level. Visibility is paramount to cyclist safety and with 60 integrated LED lights in this helmet, it offers extraordinary visibility, as well as, the ability to signal braking and turning. This helmet saves lives especially if you’re riding after dark.
- Meets both CPSC and CE standards for safety
- The battery lasts about 6 hours on flashing mode and 3 on solid mode.
- Lumos has bright turn signals that can be activated via a wireless remote.
- Simple design, one remote, two buttons. Built-in accelerometer senses when you’re braking.
- Hard brake signal – 38 LEDs will glow solid red, alerting anyone behind you that you’re slowing down. .
- High visibility with 10 white LEDs on the front, 38 red LEDs on the back, and 11 orange LEDs for each turn signal
- Adjustable retention system makes fitting properly a breeze
- Smartphone App connects your helmet to your phone. Update helmet settings, check your battery levels, and get automatic battery notifications about your helmet
- 30 day money back guarantee
SMITH first made a name for itself in 1965 by inventing the first snow goggle with a sealed thermal lens and breathable vent foam. Since then, they have become a leader in sunglasses, goggles and helmets. The Trace bike helmet is no exception.
- Lightweight Aerocore, In-Mold construction offers maximum protection.
- Integrated MIPS System reduces brain injury
- Instead of EPS, this helmet features Koroyd®, a material created by thermally welding tiny tubes together that crushes on impact, absorbing lots of energy. It is made without glues or adhesives which can weaken protective material.
- CPSC Certified
- Weight: 280 grams
- Combines internal air channels, 18 vents and open intake and exhaust ports to maximize ventilation.
- The Trace’s AirEvac™ offers ventilation of eye wear to prevent fogging.
- Eyewear storage on the side of the helmet holds eye wear in place on big climbs.
Giro makes great helmets, and this road cycling helmet is as safe and stylish as the Giro mountain bike helmet highlighted above. Complete with MIPS, aerodynamic features and lightweight materials this helmet performs.
- Integrated MIPS® technology
- In-Mold construction with EPS liner and additional layering
- 4-piece poly carbonate interlocking hard outer shell
- CPSC Certified
- The convenient Stealth Shield Dock holds the magnetic visor when not in use.
- Innovative TransformAir™ Technology streamlines airflow and reduces drag beautifully.
- Integrated Magnetic Vivid™ shield by Zeiss® streamline airflow, and features a new lens that increases contrast, definition and keeps colors true to life.
- Roc Loc® fit technology suspends the helmet just slightly off the top of the skull, and allows cool airflow to pass directly over your head.
- Offers easy, custom fit with the turn of a dial.
For more than 30 years, Troy Lee has been customizing helmets for the world’s fastest racers around the globe and offering premium protection for off-road motorcycling and bicycling athletes and enthusiasts.
- Industry-first, dual-density EPP + EPS impact liner against both high and low speed impacts.
- CPSC Certified
- Innovative break-away visor screws help reduce catching in a crash
- Huge intake and exhaust ports provide maximum cooling power
- Adjustable chin strap and semi-adjustable strap dividers and adjustable stabilizer dial in the back of the helmet.
- X-Static Pure Silver comfort liner with odor protection and quick-dry moisture wicking
- Weighs 350 grams
- Low profile helmet
- 3-year manufacturer warranty
Sweet Protection combines industry-leading innovation with the finest craftsmanship available to create the safest and most advanced helmets. Their helmets offer a ton of bang for your buck!
- Polycarbonate mono shell is directly fused with a shock absorbing EPS liner for advanced impact protection;
- CPSC Certified
- MIPS Technology
- Removable, shatter-resistant visor and reinforced in-molded strap anchors.
- Cooling channel and optimized venting keep you cool without exposing the most vulnerable areas of your head
- Foam comfort pads are covered in hypoallergenic, moisture wicking fabric
- Low volume, turn-dial mechanism padded with soft silicone allows finely tuned adjustments for a firm, comfortable fit that prevents the helmet from moving.
- Weighs 330g
- Perfect for all-mountain coverage.
- 2 year warranty
We hope you found this article about the Top 10 The Safest Bike Helmets for Adults helpful. What do you feel is the most important safety feature in a helmet? Do you mountain bike or road bike? Do you have any stories about how a helmet saved your life or somebody you know? We would love to hear your thoughts and comments, thanks so much for sharing.