Finding the right golf ball for your ability and type of play can go a long way to reducing your handicap, while increasing your enjoyment of the game. Here is a complete description of the year’s top rated golf balls, check it out to find the best ball for you.
When playing golf at high altitudes, like here in Vail Colorado, it’s best to use a soft, low compression ball because a softer ball will spin more than normal and help compensate for the thin air and lack of air resistance at altitude.
Soft golf balls are currently very popular, and are some of the best to play with because they offer a nice soft feel, are very forgiving and fly straighter. Here are some characteristics to consider when choosing the right ball.
The more layers (or pieces) the ball has, the softer the ball will feel. In addition, more layers usually translates to “more expensive”. Today, balls can contain up to 5-layers but that’s usually reserved for tour-level performance balls.
2-piece (or 2-layer) construction is very durable and ideal for beginners and high-handicap golfers with slower swing speeds. (speeds below 90 mph)
Multi-Layer construction is perfect for mid-to-low handicap golfers with faster swing speeds (speeds of 90-99 mph)
Soft balls have low-compression ratings because they compress easily. Deep compression means farther distances with less effort, so you don’t need to swing as hard with a low compression ball as you do with a higher compression ball.
Low compression balls are best for beginner and novice players, while high compression may be used by more advanced players.
Softer, low compression balls are preferred for high altitude golfing as well as for colder temperatures. Soft balls also perform better on hard-packed ground, where a high compression ball may bounce past the hole, a soft ball can spin back towards the hole
Generally speaking, most players prefer a softer golf ball and therefore these balls make up the majority of the Year’s Top Rated Golf Ball list.
Top Rated Golf Balls
The Titleist ProV1 is a player favorite and is the most-played golf ball in the world. Titleist has been the leader in the golf ball market for years.
- This 3-piece solid-core golf ball offers extraordinary distance with consistent flight
- Very low and long spin with penetrating trajectory
- Drop-and-Stop short game control
- Has a lovely, soft feel
- Great for high spin on approach shots
- 17% thinner urethane cover adds speed while retaining spin and control.
- Designed for advanced players.
- Color: now available in white AND yellow
- An expensive ball but well worth the cost
The Callaway Supersoft is an ultra low compression 2-piece ball with a soft, really good feel and a great price.
- Made with a Surlyn® cover, which is very durable and offers lower spin off the tee.
- Optimized Hex Aerodynamics for less drag
- 35 compression is the softest golf ball on the market
- Ultra low compression reduces spin so your shots go farther
- Low spin and hex aerodynamics keeps your ball flying straight
- Colors: available in white, yellow, pink, lime, orange or multi-color pack for a more easily visible and identifiable ball when you play.
- Boasts distance control on approach shots and around the greens.
The Srixon SOFT FEEL golf ball is all about distance but offers a ton of stopping power as well. Less expensive than many competitors, it is a ball with a lot of value
- 2-piece golf ball for 70+ mile per hour swing speeds
- The improved Energetic Gradient Growth Core keeps the ball feeling soft while maintaining optimal launch conditions and increasing speed
- 344 Speed Dimples pattern cuts through the wind, reduces drag and boast more distance.
- Ionomer cover delivers more speed and lower spin off the driver
- 71 compression, with superior aerodynamics gives moderate and low swing speeds exceptional distance with a soft feel.
- Unique alignment arrow, promotes target focus and additional accuracy when you swing.
- Offering incredible carry and distance and superior stability.
- Colors: available in white and yellow for better visibility on the course.
- Higher trajectory and more lift make high, long ball flights easy for anyone.
The new 3-layer Bridgestone Tour B balls, has four unique style of balls designed to give low- and mid-handicappers the perfect combination of distance, feel and spin. Just pair the ball that corresponds with your strengths, weaknesses and preferences to find the right ball to enhance your game
Tour B X: Made for low-handicap golfers who want distance and accuracy. It replaces the popular B330. With an urethane cover and 85 compression it is the firmest-feeling of the four balls.
Tour B XS: Low-handicap players who want distance and more of a soft feeling ball. It has a softer urethane cover and a lower compression of 75
Tour B RX: Ideal for golfers with slightly slower swing rates who wan to increase distance and accuracy. This 66-compression, softer urethane cover ball has a different Dual Dimple pattern designed for performance off the tee at slower club head speeds.
Tour B RXS: For advanced players who love a soft feel and have a slower swing. At 64, the RXS has the lowest compression of all the balls, providing lots of control spin when you need it.
The TaylorMade Noodle Long & Soft golf ball is low compression ball that feels great and offers a ton of value. If you have a tendency to lose balls but don’t want to sacrifice quality, than this is the ball for you.
- 2-piece golf ball with soft soft IOTHANE Surlyn cover is durable
- The ultra-soft 34 compression gets lots distance and has a soft feel.
- 342 aerodynamic dimple design, helps cut through the wind for longer carries and straight flights
- Impact propulsion REACT core provides increased distance
- The Noodles feel awesome upon impact.
- At about $1 per ball this is a great ball for a great price
- A highly recommended ball
The 2-piece Wilson Staff Duo Soft Goft Ball is truly soft. Coming in at a staggering compression of 29, it is the softest ball on the market
- Low compression insures the longest distance performance of all competitive premium 2-layer golf balls
- The lowest driver spin RATE of all competitive premium 2-layer balls for straightest flight from the tee.
- Hard ionomer core for long distance performance
- Improved 302 dimple pattern maximizes flight and velocity
- Available in Mens, Womens and Soft Spin
- Great short game feel and action. It’s not a tour ball but it will exceed your exepectations
- Players with slower swing speeds will enjoy a distance boost.
- Less driver side spin, so shots land in the fairway, not the rough
- If your want bright colors, check out the Duo Soft Optix, same ball but in highly visible, bright colors.
The Lady Precept has been the leader in women’s golf ball market for years. With the #1 selling ladies ball in golf it’s clear they know what they are doing.
- The Bridgestone Lady Precept features more distance, lots of control & an exceptionally soft feel from tee to green.
- The ultra-soft, 50-compression ball is the softest golf ball that Bridgestone makes.
- Softest ladies-specific ball on the market
- 2-layer, soft ionomer cover with soft gradations core goes the distance, literally.
- 330 seamless dimple design for longer distance
- Colors: available in white, pink, blue and yellow
- Ideal for moderate swing speeds and offering a long carry and spin.
- Featuring higher launch and lower spin off the driver for more distance.
- Available in 12-ball pack
- Coming in at around $20 per dozen this is a very affordable ball
The premium Volvik Vivid is full of features and innovations that really makes this ball stand apart, not in the least, it’s vivid, vibrant matte coloring.
- Durable, 3-piece golf ball with an Ionomer cover and mild 75 compression
- Offering a new, larger core for more distance
- Vibrant colors and unique matte finish means higher visibility
- Perfect for slower swingers with swing speeds in the 70-90 miles per hour range
- 322 dimple pattern for consistently stable flight
- Higher greenside spin for accurate pin control and performance
- The World’s First and Best-Selling Matte Finish Golf Ball
- Designed for less driver spin, higher wedge spin, and a mid-to-high ball flight.
- Medium soft feel * Volvik compression rating of 75
- Available in 12-ball pack
- Colors: Available in
Do you agree with this list of the year’s top rated golf balls? What is your favorite golf ball and why? Do you like soft golf balls? What golf ball would you recommend? We would love to hear your thoughts and comments. Thanks for reading.