Welcome to ThinkVail – we hope you find this article about the year’s top rated ski helmets helpful. 10 great, stylish options for a safe, comfortable helmet to protect your most important asset.
A ski helmet is an essential piece of equipment, it is safe, practical, stylish, comfortable and will enhance your day on the slopes. Your helmet allows you to go bigger and faster, if you add audio to your helmet you can groove to tunes all the way down the hill, add a GoPro and take videos or selfies and post to social media. The right helmet will make you look mountain savvy, and like you know what you’re doing, even if you don’t.
See Also: Year’s Top Rated Ski Goggles
Safety – Safety is THE most important job of a good helmet. A good certified helmet can dramatically reduce the severity of a head injury if you sustain a collision with a tree, if another skier collides with you, if you ski off a cliff the wrong way, or any of the other numerous ways that you can hurt yourself while having fun on the ski mountain. Protect the Grey Matter.
Warmth – The majority of heat loss is through your head, a helmet keeps you warmer and dryer than just wearing a hat.
Goggle Keeper – Your helmet holds your goggles securely, and out of the way but close at hand, for when you need them.
Jam to Tunes – Add audio or earbuds to listen to your favorite tunes or receive calls while you are on the mountain.
Holds your Camera – Attach a camera mount to take photos and video, hands free right from your helmet. An easy way to get amazing footage of your ski adventures.
If you are not accustomed to wearing a helmet, in the beginning, they can seem a little confining but after a day or two, you will come to love your helmet.
See Also: Year’s Best Helmet Mountain Cameras
Choosing a helmet doesn’t have to be complicated. Make sure you buy:
- A certified helmet
- A helmet that is ABS construction, In-Mold construction or a hybrid of the two.
- A helmet that fits correctly
ASTM F2040: The most common snow helmet certification. This U.S.-based standard covers non motorized recreational snow sports including skiing and snowboarding.
CE EN1077: The European certification for alpine skiing and snowboarding helmets.
Constructed by attaching the outer shell and shock-absorbing foam in a single molding process. They are sleek and much lighter than injection-molded helmets.
Hard Shell ABS helmets (injection-molded helmets)
Constructed of a lightweight, thin, hard plastic outer shell with a soft EPS foam liner that absorb shock. This reduces the head snap that results in most collisions. These helmets offer more durability against everyday knocks than in-mold helmets.
- A good helmet should feel snug but not tight. It should not rock back and forth if you shake your head from side-to-side.
- There should not be a gap between the top of your goggles and the helmet, it should sit comfortably and not push down on the goggles.
- The helmet should be positioned low enough in the front to protect your forehead.
- The chinstrap needs to be tight enough that it will not come off on impact. Strap should be snug but still loose enough that you don’t feel choked or pinched. Always fasten the strap before hitting the slopes.
Check out this cool video about Helmet Features and Fit
Top Rated Ski Helmets
Giro Nine Ski & Snowboard Helmet
Giro is a name that is known for its innovation with MIPS technology. MIPS technology is the science behind keeping your noodle safe when some skier (or tree) comes out of nowhere and collides with you. This stylish helmet has a lot to offer.
- Articulating hard shell construction and sleek low-profile design.
- Easy to adjust vents can be adjusted even while wearing gloves means it is easy to cool down or warm up your noggin to react to changing temp changes.
- In-Mold construction means its a lightweight, thin, hard plastic outer shell with a soft foam liner to absorb shock. This reduces the head snap that results in most collisions.
- Vertical Tuning adjust how the helmet sits on your head for a perfect fit.
- A glove-friendly dial at the base of the helmet provides up to 6 cm of fit adjustment. Make adjustments to the fit of your helmet on the fly when needed.
- Buckle closure
- Goggle retainer strap holds goggles securely
- Features X-Static®, a 100% natural, antimicrobial fiber reduces odor.
- If you are looking for audio, this helmet is compatible with Aftermarket Giro Audio Systems by Outdoor Tech (sold separately)
- Seamless compatibility with all Giro goggles means no gaper gap just a perfect fit, also compatible with Giro audio.
- Removable ear pads mean your ears are always warm when its cold and blustery, but can be removed for more ventilation, if needed, on warmer spring days. This also makes them easy to clean.
- Available in 4 sizes (S, Med, Lrg, XLrg).
- Unisex style is perfect for both men and women
Bolle Blackline Visor Ski & Snowboard Helmet
The Bolle Blackline offers a smart, cool concept for a helmet. It integrates a visor into the helmet so you don’t need an additional pair of goggles that can be lost. Everything you need in one smooth package.
- Hard Shell ABS constructed helmet that utilizes a thick, tough ABS plastic outer shell that is adhered to a pre-moulded hard foam interior and liner to offer good protection at a reasonable price.
- Click-to-Fit size adjustment system adjusts to fit your head perfectly.
- Adjustable ventilation makes it easy to regulate the amount of ventilation that comes into your helmet. Dial it down to keep your head warmer, dial it up to let in more air and cool things off.
- Keep in mind, that since there is no seal between the visor and helmet this may allow snow in, especially if you are skiing during a heavy snow storm. Will be best on days with zero to light precipitation.
- Comes with TWO interchangeable visors; Silver Gun CAT. 3 & Lemon CAT. 1, perfect visibility for clear sunny days or gray, overcast days.
- Works like goggles, if you don’t want to use the visor, just move it to the upright position on top of the helmet, where it will stay out of the way.
- It’s like getting goggles and a helmet for the price of one. You can also wear prescription glasses and/or sunglasses under the visor.
- Visor offers a wide, panoramic field of vision.
- Removable ear pads mean your ears are always warm when its cold and blustery, but can be removed for more ventilation, if needed, on warmer spring days. Also easy to clean
- Hypoallergenic inner liner
- Unisex; comes in a variety of sizes for men and women
Oakley Mod5 Ski & Snowboard Helmet
The Oakley Mod5 is a Best Seller, and it’s easy to see why. A great looking helmet that is easy to use, with an innovative hybrid shell construction for safety, tons of features and comes in a wide assortment of colors.
- Hybrid shell construction with MIPS Integration means this helmet incorporates ABS in front and In-Mold construction in back, So the front of your noodle enjoys extra protection against major impacts but you also enjoy the advantage of lightweight materials and comfortable foam.
- The Modular Brim System (MBS) makes it easy to customize for the type of goggles you wear or allows to easily change over time. So if you want to use larger goggles such as Flight Deck you use the large brim if you want to use smaller goggles like A Frame 2.0. use the smaller brim provided.
- Adjustable venting allows heating and cooling management in all weather conditions.
- Magnetic buckle secures the MOD Helmet and makes strapping on easy even while wearing gloves.
- The BOA Fit System makes it easy to fully adjust the helmet for a perfect for you, even while wearing gloves.
- Removable innovative ear pads puts zero pressure on ears. Remove them for more ventilation or to wash them when needed.
- Google strap holds goggles securely
- Available in tons of cool colors
Smith Optics Holt Ski & Snowboard Helmet
Smith is a leader in the ski industry and they bring their innovation and attention to detail to ski helmets. This amazingly popular helmet has many key features you are looking for in a helmet.
- Hard Shell ABS constructed helmet that incorporates a thick, tough ABS plastic outer shell that is adhered to a pre-moulded hard foam interior and liner to offer good protection and bomber construction.
- Certification: ASTM F 2040 and CE EN107
- 14 vents on the front, top, and back of the helmet keeps you comfortable no matter the weather or temps.
- Precise fit of Smith goggles and helmet eliminates “gaper gap” , air that can get in between a mismatched goggle and helmet.
- Removable Goggle Lock keeps your googles secure
- Audio-compatible ear pads will keep your favorite beats pumping while your on the slopes. Skullcandy Audio Systems available
- Convertible Kit included for All-Season Helmet Use, means with a little tinkering you can take your helmet from the slopes to the skate park and still be safe with Hard Shell ABS technology protecting you brain.
- Unisex; comes in a variety of sizes for men and women
- NO Sizing Dial – this helmet does not have a sizing dial to adjust the size. Only minor size adjustments can be made on this helmet.
Drift Ski & Snowboard Helmet
The maker of the Drift ski Helmet, WildHorn Outfitters is the official supplier of the US Ski Team. If the US ski team uses these helmets to protect their athletes, that quite an endorsement.
- Advanced manufacturing techniques with composite foam technology makes this one of the highest performance, the lightest weight helmets on the market. If safety is a concern, know that it meets ASTM F2040 safety standards and the European safety standard EN1077 Class B.
- The Drift Helmet comes in three varied sizes and features a patented Fine Tune Adjustment system that offers micro adjustments for the perfect fit. Ensures comfort and a perfect fit.
- Comfortable, stylish and good-looking helmet.
- Advanced VNT technology is an easy to adjust ventilation system. A combination of both direct and indirect airflow is used to control the temp inside the ski helmet. Slide the vents open when its warm, and slide closed when it gets chilly.
- With its ultra plush interior liner, you won’t find a more comfortable snowboard helmet.
- Audio Ready- The comfy ear pads are audio compatible (check out the Wildhorn Alta Bluetooth helmet compatible earphones)! Simply drop into your helmet audio to shred to your favorite tunes.
- Comes in a variety of sizes for men, women and youth
POC Receptor BUG Ski & Snowboard Helmet
The POC Receptor Bug features a really cool, design with tons of innovative and useful features that makes using this helmet a joy. Boasts a variety of colorful, matte finishes. Pick your favorite color.
- Featuring a patented, ventilated double shell anti-penetration system with two overlapping outer shells to protect your nugget from sharp objects. It boasts an external ABS hard shell with an internal polycarbonate shell to create an exceptionally strong helmet that’s lightweight.
- Certified and meets the ASTM F2040 standards & the European standard EN1077 Class B.
- The EPS liner offers the impact shock absorption to keep your melon safe
- Aside from being safe, the ventilated double shell anti-penetration technology allows air to flow between both shells to keep you comfortable or allows you to close it completely on colder days.
- Detachable ear pads and neck roll keep your ears and neck warm on frigid days but can be removed on warm spring days for more ventilation. Also, removable means easy to clean
- Size adjustment system makes it easy to fit your head properly.
- Fixed goggle clip keeps you googles on your helmet securely
- This helmet does not have an adjustment dial to customize the size but it does include additional pads that you could add.
Lucky Bum Ski & Snowboard Helmet
An affordable, certified, stylish helmet that is perfect for the slopes.
- ABS and EPS construction means this helmet has two reinforced layers to keep your noggin safe. The external shell is made from a strong ABS material, which is then covered by an additional EPS shell for dual protection. This helmet fully complies with EN1077 standards and is CE certified.
- The inside of the helmet boasts a soft fleece lining and ear padding made of moisture wicking, hypoallergenic fabric
- Dial Micro Adjust Fit System insures quick, easy on the go adjustment for a custom fit every time, even while wearing gloves. Righty-tighty to tighten and lefty-loosey to loosen.
- Vents with mesh screens to prevent snow buildup and allow for ample airflow.
- Integrated goggle loop keeps your googles securely attached
- Padded chin strap and ear flaps keeps you warmer in cold weather while ensuring comfort and keeps your helmet securely attached.
- Comes in a variety of sizes for men, women and youth and is available in 4 sizes and in lots of cool colors.
Demon Phantom Ski & Snowboard Helmet with Audio Included
If an easy, integrated audio system is number #1 on your must-have features in a ski or snowboard helmet look no further than the Demon Phantom Helmet with built-in audio.
- Constructed of a tough ABS shell and an EPS foam padding with comfortable liner and the helmet is both CE and ASTM certified to keep your noggin safe while shredding on the mountain.
- It’s super slick, the Phantom ski helmet comes with Brain Teaser Audio already installed. Just plug the aux cord into your device and your helmet comes alive with the sound of your favorite tunes! No worrying about whether your audio will fit the ear pads, the helmet speaker is already set up for you & ready to go.
- Brain Teaser Audio ear pads included. The speakers are removable and the connection is a standard stereo audio jack (female side on the helmet), with a 5-foot male to male cord that connects to the phone in your pocket.
- Vents on the front and back of the helmet will keep you cool and allow air to circulate.
- Goggle straps keep your goggles securely attached
- Comes in 4 different sizes and a variety of matte helmet colors are available including black, gray, blue, orange, white and green.
- The Demon Phantom helmet does not have any fit adjustment so you cannot adjust or customize size.
See Also: Year’s Best Ski Pass Holders
We hope you found this article about the year’s top rated ski helmets helpful. Is your ski helmet on this list? What features do you consider most important in a ski helmet? Has your helmet ever saved your life? Tell us your comments, thoughts and stories we would love to hear them.
Related Articles: Best Helmet Action Cameras
As an Amazon Associate, ThinkVail.com earns from qualifying purchases.