Welcome to ThinkVail – we hope you find this article about Vail Ice Skating helpful.
Ice Skating in Vail, Colorado ia all about gliding effortlessly on the ice, bonfires blazing, drinking steaming hot chocolate, enjoying family and friends, and watching your kids discover the delight of lacing up skates. We have no shortage of incredible skating rinks, each offering its own unique style and amenities. Take a day off from the slopes and explore one of these ice rinks for some unforgettable fun!.
See also: Best Ice Skates for Kids
Vail Valley Ice Skating Rinks
Lionshead Ice Rinks
Alderhof Ice Rink at the Arrabelle
This beautiful, outdoor skating rink is like a fairy tale, showered in twinkling lights and located in the heart of Vail Square and is more intimate than other nearby rinks.
- Tucked within Vail’s bustling Lionshead Village, Alderhof Ice Rink is perfect for first-timers and veteran ice-skaters alike. Beginners will appreciate the learner bar apparatuses that help kids learn how to ice-skate. Everyone will enjoy can enjoy gliding on the ice while surrounded by a beautiful Bavarian resort with European charm.
- This ice rink also features contemporary fire pits to warm spectators and comfortable couches where parents can relax and watch their little ones. The fireplaces are perfect for kids to come and warm up. If you work up an appetite while ice-skating, there are lots of choice restaurants nearby.
- Alderhof Ice Rink is open daily during the winter season (Thanksgiving -Vail Mountain Closing Day) and open 1pm – 9pm. Ice skates are available for rent.
- Come and enjoy the magical experience of skating under the fairy lights and stars with music playing in the square and a view up to the ski slopes.
- Great photo opportunity and there is plenty of seating for the non skater. The kids will love this skating rink and adults will feel like kids again!
- Don’t forget to wear sunscreen on bright sunny days, the sun’s rays at altitude, especially in the winter, is very strong and it is easy to burn quickly here.
Dobson Ice Arena
This indoor skating rink is the largest skating and multipurpose facilities in Colorado. Conveniently, located in the middle of Lionshead and Vial Village, on the in-town bus route on West Meadow Drive across from the Vail Library.
- Open year-round for hockey, figure skating, broomball, public skating, classes, and league completions. They also host several concerts throughout the year!
- Vail’s only indoor ice arena, features youth and adult figure skating lessons and skating shows; adult and children’s hockey camps and leagues; public skating, concerts, and events.
- STORYTIME SKATING: Children can enjoy story hour at the Town of Vail Public Library followed by skating at Dobson Ice Arena at either 10 a.m. or 11 a.m. on Wednesdays during the school year. Story hour is free, and skating time is $10 per child for skates and instruction.
- OPEN SKATE SESSIONS: For the recreational skater, Dobson Ice Arena hosts open skating sessions for all ages and abilities.
- SKATE LESSONS: Dobson Ice Arena offers private ice-skating lessons. Students pay for ice time and instructor fees.
- HOCKEY:The arena also offers a wide array of hockey options for youth and adults, beginners to seasoned players
- Bring your own ice skates or skate rentals are available at the arena.
- Dobson Ice Arena hosts figure skating championships, ice skating spectacle shows and amateur hockey games each year.
- Dorothy Hamill, back-to-back ice-skating gold medalist at the Winter Olympics and World Championships in 1976 makes her home in Vail and has been an honorary referee at the World Figure & Fancy Skating Championships at Vail Dobson Ice Arena.
- Parking for Dobson Ice Arena is available in the Lionshead parking structure.
Vail Village Ice Rinks
Solaris Ice Rink
Located in Vail Village, the Solaris outdoor ice rink is in the center of EVERYTHING and surrounded by tons of shopping, restaurants, and activities including a bowling alley and a movie theater. The rink is open daily, 1 – 9 pm. during the winter season and skate rentals are available onsite next to the bol restaurant in Solaris
- Enjoy skating in the luxurious epicenter of Vail and its exclusive atmosphere and spectacular panoramic views of Vail ski mountain.
- Sip a coffee or glass of wine while the kids skate and take in the views on the second-story balcony with couches, heated patio and cozy fire pits. The Solaris is the backdrop for headlining concerts and spectacular holiday events, so check Vail’s event schedule before your visit.
- The opulent Solaris Residences opens right onto this winter wonderland.
- Solaris Ice Rink is an ice-skating venue in the heart of Vail Village open only in the winter months for afternoon and evening skating. Ice-skate rentals are available onsite.
- Holiday ice skating shows and concerts are regularly held here during holidays and special events throughout the year.
Beaver Creek Ice Rinks
Beaver Creek Ice Rink
The Beaver Creek Outdoor Ice Rink offers endless family fun and the perfect place to make lasting memories. It is a focal point of Beaver Creek village and conveniently located near tons of fantastic restaurants! Don’t miss fun events like the American Jukebox Skate Night on Sundays or Family Night at the Firepits on Monday and Friday evenings.
- The Beaver Creek Ice Rink is open daily from noon 9pm November – April.
- Skate and helmet rentals are available at the walk-up booth located next to Base Mountain Sports.
- A special Zamboni prepares the ice every three hours
- Very affordable pricing for kids and adults and price is discounted if you have your own skates!
- This is the perfect way to burn off calories from all the delicious dining options that are just steps away, with an after-dinner skate.
- If after a full day of skiing your kids are STILL full of energy, take them for a skate after skiing and really tire them out. This is such an excellent activity for them while Mom and Dad relax by a fire with a beverage, in one of many numerous comfy chairs and couches around the rink.
- If you are staying in Avon it is really easy to take the free Avon Bus from the Westin up to Beaver Creek for a magical family evening of dinner, ice-skating, hot chocolate, stargazing and people watching.
Avon Ice Rinks
Ice Rink at the Avon Rec Center
Avon boasts a small, but convenient outdoor ice rink just outside the Avon Recreation Center near Nottingham Park.
- This ice rink is seasonally dependent so there is no exact opening date but you can usually plan to skate by mid-December. Open daily from 12-8 pm.
- Skating is free to anyone who has his/her own skates. Skate rentals are available to children and adults at the Recreation Center.
- If you or your kiddos get cold from all the fun on the ice, just head indoors. The Avon Rec Center is the perfect place to warm up and continue the family fun. Enjoy a lap pool, a lazy river, kids water slide, hot tub and saunas.
- If you are staying in Avon, a quick trip on the free Gondola Express shuttle bus brings you to Avon Station, where you can catch the Riverfront Express high-speed gondola directly to Beaver Creek Landing, putting you on the slopes in minutes. Skate in the morning and ski in the afternoon.
Eagle Ice Rinks
Eagle Ice Rink
The Eagle Ice Rink is an NHL-size, indoor hockey rink open October through March.
- The facility offers public skating, Learn To Skate Programs, adult and youth hockey programs, drop-in hockey in winter and roller derby in summer.
- It’s located in Eagle, thirty miles west of Vail. The rink has a maximum seating of up to 300.
- The complex has lockers, restrooms and an equipment rental area, and can serve as a great place to host special and private events.
- The Ice Rink is managed by Mountain Recreation
Town of Eagle Tom Ehrenberg Memorial Rink
An annual, seasonally-dependent outdoor skating rink created and maintained by the community and residents of Eagle, Colorado.
- This special rink is comprised of two sheets of ice and has been created and maintained every winter for more than 80 years and is maintained by a crew of volunteers
- Admission to the rink is FREE.
- The over-sized rink offers multiple areas to skate so you can have 2-4 hockey games going on and still have a fun, safe area for kids and beginners to learn to skate.
- The Ice Rink is located next to a kids playground so kids can play on the ice or at the playground or watch one of the many hockey games that always seem to be going on.
See Also: Best Womens Ski Jackets
We hope you found this article about Vail Ice Skating helpful. Please leave any comments, thoughts or stories about your personal experience ice skating in the Vail valley. Where is your favorite place to skate in the Vail Valley and why? Do you take your kids, what do they like most to do at the ice rink? We’d love to hear your stories! Thanks for reading!
Related Articles: Best Ice Skates for Kids