Welcome to ThinkVail – we hope you find this article about the year’s best all mountain skis helpful.
Wide, all-mountain skis are almost a requirement for skiing in the west. Every day skiers encounter a variety of ski conditions including groomed corduroy, icy faces, deep powder, tight aspen glades, terrain parks, steep cliffs and deep back-country areas. You never really know what type of ski you may need heading up the chairlift so you need a ski that embodies all of them. That is what all-mountain skis do, they allow you to ski all conditions, well.
See also: Top Rated Ski Goggles
Check out this SKI BUYING GUIDE video for more information.
What Skis Should I Buy?
The Nordica Enforcer powers through crud and has a lot of hard snow integrity. It is comfortable on groomers and can play all day in deeper powder. This is one of the best all mountain skis in the world.
- Rocker/Camber Hybrid has a waist width of 100mm and is the ultimate “Do-It-All” ski.
- CamRock profile combines the agility and float of a rocker with the stability and power of camber. This means it’s easy to initiate turns without sacrificing edge grip. So you get high speed stability and powerful carves.
- Featuring two sheets of metal sandwiching a full length wood held core provides improved energy return and reduced weight of the ski and dampens vibrations on rough terrain.
- All-mountain friendly with lots of free ski qualities makes this the perfect choice when you’re not sure whether you will be on groomers, deep powder, crud, bumps or anything in between.
- Blunt Nose Profile – Low, broad tip shape reduces unstable tip vibration.
- Freeskier Editor’s Pick, Skiing Magazine Ski of the Year.
- Does not have the flotation in deep snow that some other skis have.
Blizzard Bonafides are for the experienced skier who likes to go fast, carve turns and cut through anything. These skis can handle crud, ice, groomers, powder, big air and everything in between.
- Rocker Camber Rocker profile and a waist width of 98mm.
- Rocker design means the ski initiates and exits turns easier without losing its edge. The camber guarantees awesome grip on packed snow.
- Carbon Flipcore revolutionized ski manufacturing providing a smoother ride while reducing the skis’ overall weight
- Carbon+Ti Binding Interface reinforces the skis where you mount your bindings allowing for more efficient energy transfer in both direction while providing valuable reinforcement to the skis.
- Shape: The traditional, easy-turning side cut creates a perfect all-mountain ski.
- An aggressive tip shape provides great turn initiation. The flat tail helps to improve stability and flotation.
The Kastle BMX is ideal for all mountain rippers who want to charge through any conditions, any terrain. If you are looking for planks that are stable, damp, versatile and down to business, these are the perfect choice.
- Rocker Camber Rocker profile and a waist width of 105mm.
- Rocker design makes these skis maneuverable while the camber hold an edge without slipping.
- Silver fir and beech wood core is sandwiched by two sheets of Titanol and held together with full-length ABS sidewalls offers a strong, solid, stable feel.
- Hollowtech 2.0 tips help to eliminate tip chatter and reduce swing weight for near-effortless turn initiation.
- The Elliptical Radius side cut combines a narrow turning radius in the tip and tail, with a wide turning radius through the mid-section of the ski so it is perfect for varying terrain and conditions. It is also fast, floaty, stable and able to make quick turns in pow and long arcing turns down big, wind-hammered faces.
- A layer of rubber over the steel edges help give the skis a damp feel.
- Demands an advanced to expert rider.
Combining the ideal blend of lightness, flotation and stability. This ski is strong, lightweight, playful and has lots of technical skills. Fun on groomers, rocky couloirs, crud, deep powder, and pretty much anywhere on the mountain.
- Rocker Camber Rocker Profile with a waist width of 105mm.
- Rocker design allows the ski to initiate and exit turns easier without losing its edge. The camber guarantees awesome grip on packed snow and
- The 105 waist width make soft snow skiing more fun because this ski will float in the powder.
- This ski is super lightweight thanks to the Karuba Light Wood Core. Karuba gives these skis their pop and personality. It’s the perfect ratio of density and weight to enhance the ski and make it light and balanced.
- Topless Tech Topsheet Head incorporates a polyester fleece rather than solid plastic top sheet material to create the lightest skis available in their category.
- Named Best Ski of the Year 2018 by Powder Magazine
The Volkl Mantra is an iconic ski that boasts LOTS of control and is unflappable, even on hard snow – no tip chatter and rock solid, even at speed. This ski makes it easy to master everything from powder to ice without breaking a sweat.
- Rocker Camber Rocker profile with a waist width of 96mm
- The Mantra was the original all-mountain ski and Volkl keeps pushing the envelope.
- The M5 uses a construction called Titanal Frame. This means the metal sections follow the ski shape in the tip and tail, with an added carbon inlay in the tip. This process offers the same stability as a full sheet of metal but is much lighter in weight.
- The ski shape offers a moderate setup of tapered tips for precision and control on the slope and off-piste.
- 96mm waist this ski does not float as well as some wider waist skis.
The Atomic Bent Chetler just wants to float all day long. If you are looking for light and maneuverable planks that you can have fun and ski all day on, and costs a little less than all the rest, than this “all-mountain” ride is for you.
- Rocker camber rocker with waist width of 100mm.
- The Rocker design initiates and exits turns easier without losing its edge. The camber guarantees awesome grip on packed snow
- 100mm width waist means it floats well on powder.
- The HRZN Tech tip and tail offer 10% more surface area in tip and tail for extra flotation without adding any additional swing weight
- Features a high-density sintered base that is fast on any type of snow, durable, and easy to maintain.
If you’re a less aggressive skier looking for a great all-around, fun ski that rocks on both hard and soft surfaces, is light and nimble in tight quarters and trees then this is the ski for you.
- Tip & tail rocker profile with a waist width of 96mm.
- Rocker design means the ski initiates and exits turns easier without losing its edge.
- Designed to seamlessly blend all-mountain and freeride qualities.
- The new Powerdrive free construction delivers full-length shock-absorption for increased power, energy and versatility no matter the snow conditions.
- Delivers all-terrain performance thanks to its lighter weight and early tapered tips and tails (5 point side cut)
- 96mm waist width deliver the less flotation.
The QST is an extremely versatile powder ski that can handle powder, ice, groomers, steeps, heavy snow, high speeds big airs AND can also serve as backcountry skis and alpine touring (AT) skis. This is truly an all-in-one ski that does it all well.
- Rocker camber rocker profile
- Waist width of 106mm.
- Rocker design means the ski initiates and exits turns easier without losing its edge. The camber guarantees awesome grip on packed snow
- The 106 waist width ensures it will float in deep powder.
- A wood core, added C/FX layer of carbon and flax, a metal laminate Ti power plate underfoot, and Koroyd in the tips and tails means incredible strength, minimal weight, increased dampening and less chatter.
- An award-winning ski with supercharged construction.
For the experienced to advanced skier that likes to crush deep powder with a ski that is versatile in a variety terrain and weather conditions.
- Rocker camber rocker profile
- Waist width of 105mm.
- Rocker design allows the ski initiates and exits turns easier without losing its edge. The camber guarantees awesome grip on packed snow
- 106 waist width ensures this ski is a dream in powder
- A tapered tip and tail shifts the contact points with the snow towards the center of the ski, reducing deflection in the tip and easing turn release in the tail.
- Built with a sturdy fir and composite core, reinforced alternating layers of fiberglass and Titanal for power, damp and amazing performance.
- Hybritech sidewalls offer a unique blend of sidewall and cap construction for accuracy, performance, lightness and smooth turn initiation.
- This ski loves deep, fresh, soft snow and that’s where it shines.
The Rossignol Soul is an all-mountain, wide ski destined to be your one-quiver ski for on/off-trail and various mountain conditions, this is a great ski.
- Rocker camber profile
- Waist width of 102-106mm.
- Rocker camber profile combines the agility and float of a rocker with the stability and power of camber so it’s easy to initiate turns without sacrificing edge grip. Perfect for high speed stability and powerful carves.
- The redesigned Air Tip 2.0 and carbon ally matrix layer over a light wood core reduces vibration and increases edge grip.
- These all-mountain skis performs best on powder, crud, mixed snow and tight tree lines.
- Ideal in deep powder but can be less stable on hard pack groomers or at fast speeds.
See also: The BEST Helmet Adventure Cameras
Let us know which all-mountain ski is your favorite and why? What type of skiing do you like best? Are you brand new to the sport, an intermediate or have you been skiing for years? We’d love to hear your experience with any of these brands. Thanks for reading.
If you enjoyed this article please subscribe to receive weekly blog posts like this one or like us on Facebook.