Welcome to ThinkVail – we hope you find this article about winter horse riding apparel helpful.
Here in Colorado, winter can be an amazing time to go horseback riding, whether on a snowy trail or an indoor arena. But when the temperature begins to drop, the cold can make it really hard to get motivated to get out on your horse. Here is a list of essential winter horseback riding gear that will keep you warm and comfortable no matter what winter throws at you.
See Also: Annual Equestrian Skijoring in Colorado
Winter Horse Riding Apparel
Winter Trail Gloves
Great performance winter horseback riding gloves that offer warmth without being too bulky.
Rugged, soft Deerskin leather gloves are insulated with a thick Polar Fleece liner to keep you toasty warm when you ride on colder days. This is a great middle of the winter glove.
- A comfortable fit with a thick, warm polar fleece on the inside.
- The natural deerskin leather ensures a good, sure grip.
- Patented rein cut design is perfect for equestrians
- Double Stitched, outward seams makes these gloves durable and long-lasting.
- Elastic band at the cuff
- Out-seamed top construction improves fit and comfort.
Winter Riding Breeches
Mountain Horse Polar Breeches are the ultimate winter riding pant. They are perfect for when the weather is cold but you don’t want to stop riding but you do want to warm. Also, great for around the barn when the snow starts piling up.
- Super-comfortable riding pant that is a less bulky, snow pant
- Breathable, windproof and waterproof.
- Snow gaiters in lower leg keeps out snow no matter the chore.
- Reflective piping around knees increases visibility near roads.
- Fully seam sealed. Full length waterproof zippers at side seams.
- Ergonomically shaped seat and knees with reinforced imitation leather full-seat.
- Elasticized waist with belt loops. Adjustable, elastic foot straps.
- Two front pockets with hand-warming micro-fleece are a nice addition.
SOREL Winter Riding Boots
OK, living in Colorado, it goes without saying that I LOVE Sorel boots. They are always comfortable, warm, long-lasting and they always get the job done. So, when I found winter riding boots from Sorel I had to include them on the list. Sorel combines felt, wool, premium leather and flawless construction.
- 100% Leather
- Rubber sole with a 1.50 inch heel, keeps your feet safe in stirrups.
- Shaft measures approximately mid-calf from arch
- Boot opening measures approximately 14.25″ around
- 100g insulation keeps your feet really warm
- Three colors black, gray and red – I am in love with the red boots
Carhartt Winter Barn Coat
After owning horses for more than 20 years in Colorado, Carhartt is another name that I just can’t live without. These coats are comfortable, durable and impenetrable to cold, wet weather. I really like the style of this men’s jacket and usually most women can wear it as well (just size down as much as you can), although it may be a bit roomier than a regular woman size jacket.
- 100% cotton coat is water repellent and wind resistant
- The double zipper-means you can zip the jacket from the bottom up as well from the top down. It is a game changer.
- Sherpa-lined coat featuring split kangaroo pocket.
- Insulated, quilted, nylon lined inner sleeves and rib-knit storm cuffs
- Two inside pockets, two front hand-warmer pockets, and a zippered left-chest pocket
- Contrasting-color collar with under-collar snaps for an optional hood.
- Split back and pleated elbows makes it easy to move in this coat
- Machine wash
- High quality and great craftsmanship as expected from Carhartt.
Womens Winter Riding Breeches
OK, seriously, fleeced-lined winter breeches, need I say more? They will keep you warm on a frosty morning while keeping you comfortable in the saddle. Or wear them as an under layer with the Mountain Horse Polar Breeches for really cold days.
- These breeches are the perfect winter breech.
- • Low-rise with a wide waistband.
- • Double hook and eye closure
- 2 front suede pockets
- Ultra Gripp™ knee patches
- Comes in 4 different colors cream, brown, grey and black
Stormy Kromer Winter Barn Hat
The hand-stitched Stormy Kromer Original Cap is a premium 80% wool cap with pull-down ear flaps. It’s great looking and if you need additional warmth or protection for your ears just pull down the earflaps. If you’re looking for an even warmer hat, check out Stormy Kromer Men’s Rancher Insulated Cap, it is 4x times warmer than the original Stormy Kromer.
- Hat is made of 80% Wool 20% Nylon
- Pull-down ear band for additional warm without sacrificing a cool look
- Made in USA
- Dry Clean only
Fleece Riding Helmet Cover with Neck Warmer
Ok, on really cold, frigid days, you will think this fleece equestrian helmet cover is the most amazing invention of all time. Keeps your head, ears and neck warm, dry and cozy. You will love this helmet cover and it will make your winter horseback ride so much more pleasant. Enjoy!
- Protect your helmet and keep your ears and neck warm.
- Warm, winter fleece helmet cover has an attached neck warmer with a secure velcro closure.
- Machine washable. Line dry, no heat.
- Because of its stretchy material, it fits most English and Western riding helmets, including Troxel, GPA, IRH, International and more.
- The Visor Pocket fits over helmets with a built-in brim. Most covers are also available with a built-in plastic visor for Skull-Type or Eventing Helmets.
Other Important Winter Horse Gear
Winter Horse Blanket
When the weather turns cold, don’t forget about your four-legged best friend. Set your horse up with a premium heavyweight winter horse blanket. One of my favorite things about this blanket, is the chest straps, so you can take the blanket on and off without lifting the blanket over the horses head, this is so important for head-shy horses, like mine.
- 1200 denier waterproof”Rip Stop” breathable outer shell
- 400g heavyweight poly fill insulation will keep your horse warm and comfortable even on the coldest days.
- Double front buckles with Velcro closure, fleece collar, hood rings, shoulder gussets, and tail flap
- Crossed belly straps, removable adjustable elastic leg straps
- No center seam
- Comes in assorted colors
- Machine washable in a really, really large washing machine
Sheepskin Halter Fleece
OK, I am not sure if this actually keeps my horse any warmer in the winter but it makes me feel better when he wears it. I feel like he is warmer and more comfortable that’s why I use it. You might not agree and that’s just fine, but if you like to see your horse’s face surrounded by warm, fuzzy sheepskin take a look at this one.
- 100% percent Merino sheepskin is better than acrylic fleece.
- Sheepskin insulate heat in cold weather and provide cool soothing relief in sweltering heat
- Lightweight and breathable, this set will protect your horse’s face without obstructing vision or performance.
- Protects from chafing, sores, rubs, irritation, cuts and uncomfortable pressure.
- Included are 6 tube pieces: 1 crown, 1 noseband, 2 cheeks, 2 chin, and 3 for the neck. Please Note – this product is just the 9 protective sheepskin covers. Halter not included.
- Machine wash in cold water on gentle cycle.
Sinking Tank Heater
Once the temps begin to plunge you must have a tank heater so that your water source doesn’t freeze over and your horse can easily get water that is not ice-cream headache cold. I like this one because it sinks to the bottom of the trough where curious horses won’t try to play with it or chew it.
- Strong durable stainless steel heating element
- Thermostat positioned above element for safety
- Over temperature protection means if it gets to hot for any reason it turns itself off.
- 3-Foot cord, means you will probably still need an extension cord to get to your outlet.
- Sinking de-icers operate at the bottom of the pond or livestock troughs
- Thermostatically controlled to go on at 40 degrees with an automatic shut-off.
- Each unit comes with a galvanized wire guard/stand so it can also be used in plastic tanks
- 1500 watts, 120 volts.
Winter Horseback Riding at the Vista Verde Ranch in Colorado
See Also: Best Heated Horse Troughs
We hope you found this article about winter horse riding apparel helpful. What is your must-have winter horseback riding item? Any other essential winter barn gear that you think should be on this list? What is your favorite item to keep you horse warm and happy during the cold, winter months. We would love to hear your thoughts and comments and stories of horseback riding in the winter.
Related Articles: Best Dressy Cowgirl Boots
As an Amazon Associate, ThinkVail.com earns from qualifying purchases.