Welcome to ThinkVail – we hope you find this article about warm winter dog coats helpful.
It goes without saying that we get LOTS of snow in Vail, Colorado. Lots of snow and cold make for great skiing and snowboarding but it’s not so great for your best furry friend. When it gets really cold and snowy, unless your dog is an Alaskan Husky, they are going to need some extra protection from the elements.
Keep your dog cozy and snug on chilly days at the dog park or long snowshoe hikes in the mountains with this list of premium dog coats made just for cold, wintry conditions.
See also: Dog Parks in Vail, CO
You need a Dog Coat
- If your dog shivers violently after exposure to winter temperatures.
- Your home’s heat set low, depending on blankets and sweaters to keep warm.
- The dog is a small, light bodied breed, toy breed or a dog with very short or thin hair.
- Dog grows thick hair but it’s usually cropped short – like poodles.
- Older dogs with a weaker immune system.
Shopping Dog Coats
- What size do you need? Make sure the coat fits correctly on your dog.
- What are the conditions you will be walking in? Do you need a waterproof coat or a windproof coat?
- Will you be walking at night? Do you need reflective tape on the coat?
Measuring your Dog
- Back: Measure length of pet’s back from the base of the neck to the base of the tail.
- Neck: Measure the circumference of pet’s neck for a snug fit.
- Chest/Girth: Measure the girth around the broadest part of the chest.
Keep in mind that getting the correct measurements for your dog coat is more of an art than a science, so be prepared to try different coats and send back any that don’t fit.
Best Winter Dog Coats
WeatherBeeta Deluxe Parka
WeatherBeeta offers an extensive variety of waterproof, windproof, reflective and fleece lined dog coats in a great selection of designs, available for dogs of all sizes. This is the gear to keep your best friend four-legged friend protected from the elements.
- Super strong 1200 denier triple weave outer shell keeps the cold and wet away
- Waterproof and breathable
- Polyester lining with 220g polyfill will keep your dog warm and comfortable on most winter days.
- Oversize stand-up collar for added warmth
- Wide elastic band at the throat expands to provide comfort and flexibility when your dog moves.
- Elastic rear leg bands keep the back of the parka in place.
- Collar also offers a leash hole
- Full chest and belly wrap with easy to use touch tape closures
- Reflective strips increase low light visibility
- Multiple sizes available and fits small dogs through large breed sizes
- A handsome parka with full coverage
- Machine washable
EzyDog Element Dog Jacket
EzyDog makes a line of active dog gear that encompasses the rugged outdoor lifestyle dogs love along with the comfort and style pet owners prefer. All of their products help you and your favorite furry friend get more out of the great outdoors year-round.
- This dog jacket acts like a windbreaker, raincoat, down jacket, and sweater in the convenience of one lightweight dog jacket.
- Easy to fit, easy to wear, and easy to see.
- Non-pilling, all-season, soft, fleece lined jacket offers warmth and comfort
- Outer shell is wind and rainproof and made from 600 Denier Material with oxford panels
- Innovative Quick-Fit Neo-Xpand neckline design makes it easy to fit and put on
- Elastic Straps with Cam Locks create a customized perfect fit for your dog
- Reflective trim on the side panels have light reflective piping for safety on low light walks.
- Waterproof zippered leash access lets you walk your dog with either a harness or collar
- Available in multiple colors and sizes
Hurtta Extreme Weather Dog Coat
Hurtta is a Finnish company dedicated to designing and developing products for active dogs yearning to get off the beaten track and explore the outdoors all year round. This dog parka boasts high quality materials, craftsmanship and innovation.
- Outer shell is made from a weather-proof and breathable Houndtex® laminated fabric to keep your dog dry no matter the conditions.
- Taped seams make the coat waterproof.
- Heat reflective foil lining material reflects the dog’s heat to keep him warm.
- Coat has a high collar and a warming tricot hood that can be lifted to protect the dog’s ears and head from the cold.
- The coat has an adjustable back length, collar and waist, and a protective rear hem, all of these adjustable items make it very versatile and easy to fit.
- Will keep your dog warm in demanding outdoor conditions
- Reflector piping seams on the back and efficient 3M reflectors keeps your dog visible at night.
- The coat has a leash opening for collar or harness attachment
- This coat is attached by a strap so no Velcro wear out.
- A durable coat that is well-made and well-liked, but this is the most expensive coat on our list.
Tough 1 Dog Blanket
Based on the same great design as Tough 1 horse blankets, this doggie blanket can handle anything your favorite canine or Mother Nature can dish out. This winter dog coat really lives up to its name!
- 600 Denier ripstop, waterproof poly outer shell keeps the weather out and is rip resistant.
- 210D Nylon lining allows for breathability
- Shoulder gussets offers freedom of movement
- Double buckle front closure
- Adjustable belly wrap with quick grip closures
- Cut out for tail
- Whether it’s snowing, raining, windy or really cold your dog can still go for a hike, a walk or fetch the ball in comfort.
- Available in a wide variety of colors
Non-Stop Dogwear Professional Winter Coat
Non Stop Dogwear winter coats have been designed, developed, trained and trusted by professional winter athletes and adventurers to create truly al and reliable gear for dogs.
- Lightweight and waterproof winter jacket suitable for all breeds of dogs.
- Made from high-quality ripstop material with warm insulation and soft interior lining.
- Developed and tested with the most trusted Mushers in Europe and North America
- This coat will keep your dog warm on cold winter days.
- Very insulated and intended for very cold and windy days.
- Provides very good protection for dogs when winter camping.
RUFFWEAR Powder Hound Coat
RUFFWEAR makes performance gear specifically for dogs. Since 1992 Ruffwear has been outfitting dogs for the trail and inspiring their owners. Their dog-friendly items are innovative, high quality and makes whatever you are doing with your dog better, this winter dog coat is no exception.
- Combines the warmth of synthetic insulation and the range of motion of technical stretch fabric
- Perfect for cold winter walks and hikes.
- Made of a Polyester shell fabric that protects against the elements
- Recycled 250g high loft polyester insulation keeps your dog warm
- Unique sleeved design offers more coverage and more warmth and are perfect for really cold temps and short haired dogs
- Nylon-spandex blend has four-way technical stretch and offers full range of motion
- Full length zipper for snug, streamlined fit
- Reflective trim enhances visibility in low-light conditions
- Integrated light loop at the back of the neck for attaching the Beacon light (sold separately)
Derby Originals Dog Coat
Derby Originals are known for high quality horse blankets that keep your equine friend warm and dry, they also do the same for your canine friends. Classic, handsome, durable, hassle-free winter coats that your dog will love.
- Multiple sizes ranging from extra small breeds to large breed dogs
- Made with a 600 Denier Ripstop Waterproof Outer Shell to endure extreme conditions with ease.
- Shoulder gussets extend the range of motion so your dog can run and play
- No Velcro. The coat is secured with adjustable chest buckles and an elastic belly wrap with a double quick-grip closure – hassle-free.
- Modeled in style, warmth, & durability after the popular Derby Turnout Winter horse blanket but tailored for your dog.
- Durable winter coat will keep your pet nice and warm.
- Waterproof and wind resistant- just like with your horse, these coats will keep your dog dry from rains and snow.
- Classic design
Doggie Designs Puffer Dog Coat
Doggie Designs has been created fun, fashionable and al doggie gear since 1999. They pride themselves on their unique designs and outstanding customer service.
- The Alpine Extreme Weather Puffer Coat is made with a waterproof exterior material
- Interior is lined with thick fleece and filled with warm fiber insulation.
- Fully waterproof so your dog will stay warm and dry even in a heavy rain or wet snowfall
- Lined with thick fleece and filled with warm fiber insulation, your dog will be comfortable in the back-country
- No Velcro – Simple design slips over the dog’s head and a quick snap of the adjustable buckle over the back secures the coat.
- Available in a multiple of sizes from XS to 5XL to cover all dog sizes and breeds from 3 pounds up to 150 pounds.
- Leash hole for easy walking.
- Available in 4 colors black, orange, brown and purple
Orvis Waxed Cotton Dog Coat
The Orvis classic waxed cotton coat has been loved and preferred for years and it is just reasonable that we would expect the same quality and craftsmanship for our favorite canine.
- Handsome, quilted, waxed cotton jacket for dogs has the same wind/water-resistant ality.
- Made of cotton/polyester
- Lined with polyester micro-fleece for added warmth.
- Classic look that is well made with an attractive fabric.
- Secures with hook-and-loop closure on belly band.
- Measure from the base of the neck to the base of the tail.
- Spot clean.
- An Orvis exclusive.
- Available in navy blue, and olive green
These warm winter dog coats will help keep you pooch warm and comfortable and wanting to go play out in the snow and hit the trails. These coats are great for walks, doggie daycare, hikes, snowshoeing, cross-country skiing, and any other sport where your dog will be in the cold for an extended amount of time. Keep them from shivering this winter.
See Also: Durable Dog Toys
Please leave a comment about your experiences with winter dog coats and if your dog likes or dislikes wearing an extra layer during the winter.
As an Amazon Affiliate, ThinkVail earns on qualifying purchases.