Welcome to ThinkVail – shop our assortment of high altitude sickness remedies to relieve symptoms including, chewables, drops, capsules, pills, books, Oxygen monitors and canisters and more.
Altitude sickness is very real and affects between 15-40% of visitors to Colorado sleeping above 8,000 feet. Symptoms can last up to 72 hours and includes headaches, shortness of breath, nausea, sleeplessness, dizziness and loss of appetite. Here are nine remedies to help ease minor symptoms and have you feeling better when at altitude.
Drink LOTS of water a day or two before you reach elevation in concert with any of these listed remedies you should feel right as rain when you reach your high altitude destination.
Remember, if symptoms become severe or last longer than 72 hours, contact a doctor, altitude sickness can be life-threatening and should be taken seriously.
See Also: Preventing High Altitude Sickness in Colorado
High Altitude Sickness Remedies
#1 Best High Altitude Sickness Remedies – Oxygen Canisters
Canisters of pure Oxygen are perfect for altitude acclimatization and to minimize the symptoms of altitude sickness and they are easy to toss into a bag and take with you.
- 100% natural product.
- Traveling to higher altitudes can result in lower oxygen levels in the body and make it challenging to achieve peak performance supplemental oxygen is a great way to maximize aerobic performance and recovery for years.
- Available in four scents: Natural, Pink Grapefruit, Menthol-Eucalyptus, and Peppermint)
- Boost of Oxygen creates an overall feeling of wellness.
- Available in Multi-Packs- makes Oxygen more affordable
- Oxygen cans are available in Pocket-Size(2L), Medium(5L), and Large(10L).
#2 Best High Altitude Sickness Remedies – Altitude RX Oxyboost
Altitude RX Oxyboost Complex for Mountain Sickness – 120 Veggie Caps
The ingredients in Altitude Rx has been shown to reduce the occurrence and duration of Acute Mountain Sickness in controlled clinical studies.
- Uses the most potent compounds available in amounts shown to prevent symptoms of Acute Mountain Sickness.
- Enjoy your time in the mountains by reducing the symptoms of altitude sickness and vertigo.
- Ingredients include: alpha lipoic acid, ginkgo biloba, and rhodiola to increase oxygen, maximize energy, and prevent fatigue at altitude.
- Altitude RX gives you relief from Mountain Sickness by accelerating altitude acclimation.
- All natural remedies developed through scientific studies. In a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial at 12,126ft, researchers found that the ingredients in Altitude-Rx reduced mountain sickness in treated participants who had no previous experience in high altitude.
- Made with natural ingredients
- Boosts the saturation of oxygen in your bloodstream and maximizes your metabolism, so you feel as energized and healthy at high altitude as you do near sea level.
- Based in Southern California
#3 Best High Altitude Sickness Remedies – Liquid Oxygen Drops
Your body’s ability to fight altitude sickness is directly linked to the amount of oxygen in your blood. The more oxygen, the better. Liquid Oxygen is a blend of activated, stabilized oxygen, which can SUPERCHARGE YOUR OXYGEN and energy levels
- Three 4oz. bottles with easy-to-use dropper tops. Contains approx. 250 servings per bottle.
- 100% Safe, natural, non-toxic, highly stable with a long shelf life
- Increases the Oxygen levels in your body which is essential at high altitudes
- Made in the USA, in an FDA approved facility with adherence to good manufacturing policies and stringent quality control
- Drops are dissolved into water, creating a highly oxygenated beverage.
- Cope with high altitudes better, avoid headaches and shortness of breath.
#4 Best High Altitude Sickness Remedies – High Altitude Relief Capsules
Colorado’s #1 Product for Altitude Sickness
- Relief from symptoms of altitude sickness
- Prepare for the thin air before you arrive
- All natural, safe, and effective
- Made in the USA
- An effective dietary supplement for people from low elevations who are traveling to destinations ranging from 5,000 feet to 14,000 feet.
- Manufactured to the highest quality pharmaceutical standards.
#5 Best High Altitude Sickness Remedies – Altitude Illness: Prevention & Treatment
A book for anybody visiting altitude (heights above 7,000 feet) with pre-existing health conditions such as heart conditions, diabetes, cancer and more.
- Covering symptoms and signs of altitude illness
- Case studies of real situations and a question-and-answer section help readers better understand general issues about altitude and its effects, and more
- The latest information on prevention and treatment of altitude illness — from preparing for altitude to recognizing and treating the symptoms of acute mountain sickness, including high altitude pulmonary and cerebral edemas. Suited for both novice and seasoned hikers, climbers, trekkers, and skiers,
- includes an updated examination of how altitude interacts with certain drugs
“A wise purchase for someone planning a climbing trip or a backpacking trip in the mountains if they’re going to reach high altitude. It would also be a good addition to your first aid kit.” (Idaho Statesman)
#6 Best High Altitude Sickness Remedies – Zaca Recovery Chewable Supplements
World’s first ever chewable supplement to help fight against altitude sickness.
- Proven ingredients to help fight fatigue, foggy head & nausea of altitude sickness
- Antioxidants and electrolytes play a big role in recovery after extensive travel. Perfect for high altitude journeys.
- Contains Japanese Raisin (Hovenia Dulcis), Glutathione, a potent antioxidant and Glutamine, known to replenish lost electrolytes.
- Convenient sugar-free chewable tablets
- Follow both FDA and DSHEA regulations.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
#7 Best High Altitude Sickness Remedies – Flygood High Altitude Probiotic
Easy to ingest pills contain a variety of vitamins and probiotics to keep you healthy and feeling your best at altitude, a side-effect free, natural alternative to Diamox
- Organic altitude sickness prevention
- 240 mg of Organic Ginkgo Biloba to increase blood flow
- Energize with a super dose of B12, 1000mg of vitamin C, 500mg of Probiotic and 15mg of Vitamin E
- Premium, organic antioxidants and anti-inflammatories provides high altitude protection
- Prevents common symptoms of high altitude including headache, nausea, traveler’s stomach, travelers diarrhea, vomiting, swelling, low energy, insomnia and anxiety.
- One box is ideal for a single person’s trip to the mountains.
- For best results, begin 24 hours before departure to altitude.
- Has not been evaluated by the FDA
#8 Best High Altitude Sickness Remedies – Fingertip Pulse Blood Oxygen Monitor
Very useful for measuring O2 at high altitudes. Knowing your oxygen level is the first step in monitoring whether you will have altitude sickness. This is a great item for monitoring your blood oxygen level on the go.
- Accurately and reliably determine your SpO2 (Blood Oxygen Saturation Levels), pulse rate and pulse strength.
- Small portable size makes it easy to handle and carry.
- Easy to read with a large, bright OLED display.
- Measures quickly and accurately pulse rate and SpO2 blood oxygen saturation of arterial hemoglobin levels.
- Rotatable multi-directional display, allows you to view your results in any direction plus Pulse wave, Pulse Rate, bar graph, SpO2 level and Battery level.
- Light and compact, fits a wide range of finger sizes, long battery life, automatic power off after 10 seconds.
- Included with purchase: Fingertip pulse oximeter, adjustable neck lanyard, case, user manual
- Runs on 2 AAA Batteries (included)
#9 Best High Altitude Sickness Remedies – Portable Oxygen Concentrator
If you already have a heart or breathing condition that makes you more prone to altitude sickness but must to travel to altitude anyway, than a portable Oxygen concentrator might be a good solution. You can rent oxygen machines at most destinations but they can be very expensive and time consuming.
- AC 110V or 220V
- Device is small in size and light weight.
- Noise is less than 48 dB, so it will not affect sleeping.
- Adjustable capacity from 1 to 2 liter/mi
- Can be used immediately from the box
- LED display with concise touch control, or use the remote control to operate.
- 80% Oxygen concentration
- Car adaptor makes it ideal for travel
- Compact size: 12.5″ x8.5″ x 3.5″
- Weight 7.5 lb.
We hope you found this article about high altitude sickness remedies helpful. What altitude sickness remedies work for you? Have altitude sickness remedies worked for you in the past? What symptoms have you had in the past and how did you handle them? How bad were they? Did they complicate or just plain ruin, your plans or vacation?
Related Articles: Best Glacier Sunglasses for High Altitude
As an Amazon Associate, ThinkVail.com earns from qualifying purchases.
Wow, I had no idea there were so many different remedies for HAS. I've been to Vail on a ski trip many years ago. Amazing runs and the most beautiful scenery. We woke up one morning and fresh new snow was calling us. I don't recall ever suffering from HAS, get I wasn't quite high enough. Lol.
Hi Annette, so glad you had a wonderful ski vacation here in Vail. Most people won't develop the severe symptoms of Altitude Sickness, and like you will just enjoy their vacation. But if you are prone to it or just happen to get it this time it is good to know that there are remedies to help relieve symptoms.
Check out Preventing High Altitude Sickness in Colorado to find out more about what symptoms can be like at high elevations
I must say that this article is very helpful and informative. My friend suffers from this occasionally when he travels to altitude and I would like to recommend to him a healthy and safe product which could help him. What is most important to me is that product is FDA approved which means that it is tested by experts.
I am so happy you enjoyed this post about High Altitude Sickness remedies and found it helpful. You ask a great question. Yes, the Altitude RX Oxyboost Complex for Mountain Sickness is produced in a FDA-registered production facility with uncompromising high standards and high quality ingredients. Zaca Recovery Chewable Supplements also follow both FDA and DSHEA regulations.
I have used natural remedies for years and they work wonderfully. Years ago I suffered from a bout of altitude sickness that ruined a week long ski vacation. Now, I just drink lots of water and make sure I bring my supplements with me if I start to feel the symptoms I just start taking them and my symptoms usually begin to diminish within an half an hour or so.
On the off chance that somebody is affected by altitude sickness, or if acclimatization takes excessively long or isn't viable, I figure the specialist recommends acetazolamide (Diamox), a professionally prescribed medicine that may diminish the occurrence and seriousness of altitude sickness by as much as 75 percent. The medication enhances aspiratory and enables you to inhale quicker.
Hi Favor thanks for the insight. Yes, Acetazolamide is one of the very best medicines for altitude sickness but it must be prescribed by a doctor and it is best if you start the treatment a day or two before you reach your high altitude destination. But it is by far one of the most popular preventive medicines out there.
Great article thank you.
Oh my, how times have changed, I had absolutely no idea that so many remedies were available for altitude sickness. I myself witnessed first hand the adverse effects of altitude several years ago when on a trip to Machu Picchu. One of our group suffered terribly halfway up the trek and in the end had to be air-lifted back down. My partner and I however had, had a couple of days up at Cuzco, and had stayed with locals and so had been very well instructed about drinking water. We were also supplied with what until now I thought was the only preventative (mind it was several years ago so it may have been) which was an ample bag of Coca leaves to chew.
Hi Adrian, I am so jealous, your trip to Machu Picchu sounds amazing. Yes, I have heard that coca leaves are a great remedy for altitude sickness. However, even though coca leaves will not get you high or addicted by themselves, they are the raw materials for making cocaine so you may be hard pressed to find a remedy with that ingredient in the United States.
Thank you for the very informative article. Would love your insight if there are any remedies safe for children? Thanks in advance!
Hi Kristina, thanks for your question about kids and high altitude sickness remedies. For kids, I would not recommend any over the counter or supplements. I would focus on taking a day or two to get to altitude so maybe driving over flying. If that is just not feasible, I would recommend lots of water a day or two before you head to altitude and while you are there. Once you get to altitude, do not jump immediately into vigorous activities like skiing and hiking, take a day to rest and take it easy till your child gets acclimated. Use a humidifier with distilled water, (most Colorado hotels have these to use or will rent them) to reduce nasal dryness. For relief of headache in kids 1 year or older, give ibuprofen since aspirin is not recommended for children. If you feel like your child may be prone to altitude sickness please talk to your pediatrician and see what they recommend.
Also remember, if symptoms don't subside after a day or two or get worse, immediately go down to a lower elevation.