Welcome to ThinkVail – we hope you find this article about high altitude sickness remedies helpful.
Altitude sickness is very real and affects between 15-40% of visitors to Colorado sleeping above 8,000 feet. Symptoms can last up to 72 hours and includes headaches, shortness of breath, nausea, sleeplessness, dizziness and loss of appetite. Here are nine remedies to help ease minor symptoms and have you feeling better when at altitude.
Drink LOTS of water a day or two before you reach elevation in concert with any of these listed remedies you should feel right as rain when you reach your high altitude destination.
Remember, if symptoms become severe or last longer than 72 hours, contact a doctor, altitude sickness can be life-threatening and should be taken seriously.
See Also: Preventing High Altitude Sickness in Colorado
High Altitude Sickness Remedies
Canisters of pure Oxygen are perfect for altitude acclimatization and to minimize the symptoms of altitude sickness and they are easy to toss into a bag and take with you.
- 100% natural product.
- Traveling to higher altitudes can result in lower oxygen levels in the body and make it challenging to achieve peak performance supplemental oxygen is a great way to maximize aerobic performance and recovery for years.
- Available in four scents: Natural, Pink Grapefruit, Menthol-Eucalyptus, and Peppermint)
- Boost of Oxygen creates an overall feeling of wellness.
- Available in Multi-Packs- makes Oxygen mo re affordable
- Oxygen cans are available in Pocket-Size(2L), Medium(5L), and Large(10L).
Altitude RX Oxyboost
Altitude RX Oxyboost Complex for Mountain Sickness – 120 Veggie Caps
The ingredients in Altitude Rx has been shown to reduce the occurrence and duration of Acute Mountain Sickness in controlled clinical studies.
- Uses the most potent compounds available in amounts shown to prevent symptoms of Acute Mountain Sickness.
- Enjoy your time in the mountains by reducing the symptoms of altitude sickness and vertigo.
- Ingredients include: alpha lipoic acid, ginkgo biloba, and rhodiola to increase oxygen, maximize energy, and prevent fatigue at altitude.
- Altitude RX gives you relief from Mountain Sickness by accelerating altitude acclimation.
- All natural remedies developed through scientific studies. In a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial at 12,126ft, researchers found that the ingredients in Altitude-Rx reduced mountain sickness in treated participants who had no previous experience in high altitude.
- Made with natural ingredients
- Boosts the saturation of oxygen in your bloodstream and maximizes your metabolism, so you feel as energized and healthy at high altitude as you do near sea level.
- Based in Southern California
Liquid Oxygen Drops
Your body’s ability to fight altitude sickness is directly linked to the amount of oxygen in your blood. The more oxygen, the better. Liquid Oxygen is a blend of activated, stabilized oxygen, which can SUPERCHARGE YOUR OXYGEN and energy levels
- Three 4oz. bottles with easy-to-use dropper tops. Contains approx. 250 servings per bottle.
- 100% Safe, natural, non-toxic, highly stable with a long shelf life
- Increases the Oxygen levels in your body which is essential at high altitudes
- Made in the USA, in an FDA approved facility with adherence to good manufacturing policies and stringent quality control
- Drops are dissolved into water, creating a highly oxygenated beverage.
- Cope with high altitudes better, avoid headaches and shortness of breath.
High Altitude Relief Capsules
Colorado’s #1 Product for Altitude Sickness
- Relief from symptoms of altitude sickness
- Prepare for the thin air before you arrive
- All natural, safe, and effective
- Made in the USA
- An effective dietary supplement for people from low elevations who are traveling to destinations ranging from 5,000 feet to 14,000 feet.
- Manufactured to the highest quality pharmaceutical standards.
Altitude Illness: Prevention & Treatment
A book for anybody visiting altitude (heights above 7,000 feet) with pre-existing health conditions such as heart conditions, diabetes, cancer and more.
- Covering symptoms and signs of altitude illness
- Case studies of real situations and a question-and-answer section help readers better understand general issues about altitude and its effects, and more
- The latest information on prevention and treatment of altitude illness — from preparing for altitude to recognizing and treating the symptoms of acute mountain sickness, including high altitude pulmonary and cerebral edemas. Suited for both novice and seasoned hikers, climbers, trekkers, and skiers,
- includes an updated examination of how altitude interacts with certain drugs
“A wise purchase for someone planning a climbing trip or a backpacking trip in the mountains if they’re going to reach high altitude. It would also be a good addition to your first aid kit.” (Idaho Statesman)
Zaca Recovery Chewable Supplements
World’s first ever chewable supplement to help fight against altitude sickness.
- Proven ingredients to help fight fatigue, foggy head & nausea of altitude sickness
- Antioxidants and electrolytes play a big role in recovery after extensive travel. Perfect for high altitude journeys.
- Contains Japanese Raisin (Hovenia Dulcis), Glutathione, a potent antioxidant and Glutamine, known to replenish lost electrolytes.
- Convenient sugar-free chewable tablets
- Follow both FDA and DSHEA regulations.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
Flygood High Altitude Probiotic
Easy to ingest pills contain a variety of vitamins and probiotics to keep you healthy and feeling your best at altitude, a side-effect free, natural alternative to Diamox
- Organic altitude sickness prevention
- 240 mg of Organic Ginkgo Biloba to increase blood flow
- Energize with a super dose of B12, 1000mg of vitamin C, 500mg of Probiotic and 15mg of Vitamin E
- Premium, organic antioxidants and anti-inflammatories provides high altitude protection
- Prevents common symptoms of high altitude including headache, nausea, traveler’s stomach, travelers diarrhea, vomiting, swelling, low energy, insomnia and anxiety.
- One box is ideal for a single person’s trip to the mountains.
- For best results, begin 24 hours before departure to altitude.
- Has not been evaluated by the FDA
Fingertip Pulse Blood Oxygen Monitor
Very useful for measuring O2 at high altitudes. Knowing your oxygen level is the first step in monitoring whether you will have altitude sickness. This is a great item for monitoring your blood oxygen level on the go.
- Accurately and reliably determine your SpO2 (Blood Oxygen Saturation Levels), pulse rate and pulse strength.
- Small portable size makes it easy to handle and carry.
- Easy to read with a large, bright OLED display.
- Measures quickly and accurately pulse rate and SpO2 blood oxygen saturation of arterial hemoglobin levels.
- Rotatable multi-directional display, allows you to view your results in any direction plus Pulse wave, Pulse Rate, bar graph, SpO2 level and Battery level.
- Light and compact, fits a wide range of finger sizes, long battery life, automatic power off after 10 seconds.
- Included with purchase: Fingertip pulse oximeter, adjustable neck lanyard, case, user manual
- Runs on 2 AAA Batteries (included)
Portable Oxygen Concentrator
If you already have a heart or breathing condition that makes you more prone to altitude sickness but must to travel to altitude anyway, than a portable Oxygen concentrator might be a good solution. You can rent oxygen machines at most destinations but they can be very expensive and time consuming.
- AC 110V or 220V
- Device is small in size and light weight.
- Noise is less than 48 dB, so it will not affect sleeping.
- Adjustable capacity from 1 to 2 liter/mi
- Can be used immediately from the box
- LED display with concise touch control, or use the remote control to operate.
- 80% Oxygen concentration
- Car adaptor makes it ideal for travel
- Compact size: 12.5″ x8.5″ x 3.5″
- Weight 7.5 lb.
We hope you found this article about high altitude sickness remedies helpful. What altitude sickness remedies work for you? Have altitude sickness remedies worked for you in the past? What symptoms have you had in the past and how did you handle them? How bad were they? Did they complicate or just plain ruin, your plans or vacation?
Related Articles: Best Glacier Sunglasses for High Altitude
As an Amazon Associate, ThinkVail.com earns from qualifying purchases.