Welcome to ThinkVail – shop our list for the best helmet mounted camera to capture all of your winter adventures.
When you hit the snowy slopes of Vail, Colorado, you will want to to capture your epic descent down Genghis Khan in the Back Bowls, your crazy tricks in the terrain park, or your kiddo’s first gondola ride up the bunny slope. Here’s a list of this year’s best helmet action cameras for skiing and snowboarding.
Action cameras are amazing, they make your photos and videos come alive – and lets you share it with friends and family so they can see you as you ski down a mountain or make huge carving turns in deep powder in the backcountry.
In addition, most action cameras have a wider lens so you can get more width to your images. These cameras are so slick and cool and because they are mounted on your ski helmet, your hands are free and you don’t have to worry about the camera, it’s just there, recording the perfect family vacation. In this GoPro generation, this is the way to go!
See Also: Year’s Best Ski Helmets
Great HD Image Quality
This is key on action cameras, currently most cameras shoot in awesome 4K, which offers faster frame rates and super-smooth video footage. 4k cameras are Ultra HD which means they do not pixelate at higher resolutions and can be displayed on digital television, smartphones, tablets and computers and even digital cinematography. This is what you want if you want really good video quality.
OK Vail, Colorado gets snow, a lot of snow, like 375 inches annually. All this snow means a lot of water in your hair, down your jacket and on your camera. Your camera needs to stay dry in a spring blizzard or a huge powder dump without failing. Having a water-proof camera or at least a waterproof mounting box insures your camera stays safe and dry.
Easy To Use
This is so important, nobody wants to be missing runs or getting left behind because they are fiddling with their camera. Action cameras need to be simple and easy to use.
This is a no-brainer, you will be wearing this thing on your head, maybe all day, it needs to be light so it doesn’t push your balance off while skiing and snowboarding or give you a headache by the end of the day.
Easy to Mount and Position
You want to be able to securely fasten the camera to your helmet so it doesn’t fall off into the deep snow where you won’t find it again till summer. Also you want the camera to stay where you position it so you always know what the camera is filming.
WIFI or Bluetooth
If you don’t have WiFi or Bluetooth the SD card will need to be removed and then a card reader is used to export photos and videos to your phone or computer. This is just a pain in the butt, especially when you are traveling.
You will need a SD Memory card, you will need to download an app to make the camera work, make sure you have a helmet mount that holds the camera securely, adhesive tape usually works fine but it is not as reliable as a strap.
#1 Best Helmet Mounted Camera – GoPro Hero 7
GoPro is the long-standing leader of the action camera industry, heck, they pioneered the industry. This model offers lots of features to make capturing your adventures fun and easy.
- Features 5k video for stunning detail
- Voice control means you can use our camera hands-free with voice commands.
- Improved video image quality, for super smooth video footage.
- Photo timer is ideal for the perfect for selfies or group shots
- LCD back touchscreen – The 2-inch display makes it easy to frame shots, change settings and playback footage quickly and easily.
- WIFI integration means you can live stream and share your images and videos fast.
- Waterproof to 33ft (10m) without a housing
- Capture crisp, clear video and photos, even in low-light conditions.
- Captures your GPS path, speed, elevation gain and more. Easily add stats to videos.
- Pair it with a head strap and it can be worn over a helmet or directly on your head, so it’s perfect for skiing or snowboarding.
#2 Best Helmet Mounted Camera – AKASO WIFI
If you are looking for a good-quality, straight-forward, water-proof, affordable, action camera that is very easy to use, has WIFI and is PERFECT for beginners then this is the camera for you.
- Features ultra HD 4K video recording. You can capture stunning 4K video that is super sharp and very smooth.
- Adjustable view angle means you can set the view angle of this action camera between 170°, 140°, 110° and 70°.
- Visual wrist mounted remote control makes for easy operation
- Waterproof to 33 feet (10 m).
- WIFI built-in 2.4Ghz WiFi makes it easy to share your video on social media quickly and easily.
- Smooth video stabilization removes shakiness for a more professional video
- Affordable option to a GoPro camera
- Helmet mount is included so perfect for skiing or snowboarding
#3 Best Helmet Mounted Camera – YI Voice Control
This camera is VOICE ACTIVATED and is programmed to automatically take a photo, shoot burst, begin recording, stop recording, or turn off. Super convenient camera and camcorder with a lot of very good extra features.
- The world’s first action camera to record 4K/60 fps video
- Offers a variety of modes including Time Lapse, Slow Motion, Timer and Burst.
- 4K insures sharp images and smooth video footage.
- Built-in Electronic Image Stabilization (EIS) delivers spectacularly smooth and steady videos
- Rechargeable Lithium-ion Battery records up to 120 minutes of 4K/30 fps video with a single charge.
- Cooling system keeps the camera from overheating and failing
- Touchscreen – 2.2″ touchscreen makes setting, previewing, recording and shooting super easy. The touchscreen is made with Gorilla Glass Retina to reduce scratches and protect it from daily impact.
- Versatile Travel Camcorder features voice control, RAW image capture, built-in Bluetooth Low Energy and Wi-Fi, and external type-C microphone support.
- Bluetooth and high speed WIFI allow instant sharing, streaming and editing.
- Helmet mount is sold separately
- Waterproof case is sold separately
#4 Best Helmet Mounted Camera – Sony
Sony has been making incredible cameras for decades so they are a name you can trust, especially when it comes to high-quality action cams. However, you will need to buy a helmet mount separately for it to work on your ski helmet.
- Sony Action Cam is 4K HD and offers breathtaking video and still shots.
- Zeiss Lens
- Splash-proof body and included underwater housing keeps everything important dry.
- Selectable viewing angle offers wide, medium or narrow and 3x zoom. High quality 12MP still images and up to 10 fps in burst mode
- High quality stereo sound with wind noise reduction
- Built-in Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, NFC, GPS, HDMI, USB and mic jack
- Shoot at desired angle with adjustable FOV and zooming
- Ultimate image stabilization from Balanced Optical SteadyShot
- Super-steady images with the Balanced Optical SteadyShot.
- Reliable splash-dust-proof body is fully waterproof down to 197 ft. (60m) with the supplied Underwater Housing.
#5 Best Helmet Mounted Camera – SJCAM M20 Mini
SJCAM uses the best quality components and pays attention to detail because that’s essential to making a quality action camera. And that’s exactly what this is, a powerful, quality camera in a small, convenient package. Put it on your ski helmet and you are ready to capture your adventure.
- The smallest action camera to date, it weighs just 55 grams
- Powered by a NTK96660 processor for vivid pictures, and awesome 2K videos, via its Sony IMX206 16 megapixel sensor.
- Gyro stabilization for smoothing out the bumps when shooting high definition video
- It also offers adjustable FOV, Anti-Fisheye correction , Quick start recording, Instant AV-out, underwater mode, double file backup record, MP4 & MOV video support, and JPG & RAW picture output.
- Includes a protective waterproof case for up to 30 meters
- Includes an adhesive helmet mount, bike mount, tripod and more.
- Perfect for outdoor extreme sports like skiing, snowboarding and ice climbing.
- This camera has WiFi, just download the free app which compatible with the app iOS and Android phones and PC.
- You can use your phone to control the camera to take video or capture pictures.
#6 Best Helmet Mounted Camera – Velocity Clip
Turn your own smartphone into action camera and you will save a lot of money and frustration. This is great for the person who wants to see if they are even interested in action video without spending a lot of money.
- Turn your smartphone into a ski helmet action camera.
- This camera helmet mount fits all smartphones and is great for all types of skiing from casual to double black diamond.
- Phone is 100% secure, equipped with inner rubber grips to hold it in place, tested up to 80mph without any problems
- Adjust the angle of your video, the phone mount can swivel up and down 180 degrees so you can always choose the best angle of your shot.
- Head strap designed to fit on helmets, beanies, hats, and over any sized head.
- Best suited for shorter videos of just a few minutes.
- Pole mount, head mount, and chest mount is available separately.
Not exactly a helmet mounted camera, but a video camera set inside your goggles is a SMART idea. Hands free, 4k video capabilities makes this a game changer.
- 4K Ultra Full HD Resolution Video with Audio, and Crisp Photo
- Waterproof feature is ideal for capturing extreme sports.
- Come with 32GB Micro SD Card, support maximum 128GB Memory.
- One button for video recording with audio, one button for photo taking with LED indicator light inside the frame.
- Battery in goggles and spare battery are all changeable and rechargeable.
- Impact resistant frame
- Goggles are helmet compatible
- a double beading of Silicon coats the strap ensuring it stays in place
- Full UV protection
- Anti-fog coating
Helmet action cameras capture your amazing adventures while on the ski mountain or any outdoor activity. All of these cameras will ensure you capture and keep these once-in-a-lifetime memories and share them with friends and family.
See Also: Navigating Vail Ski Mountain
We hope you enjoyed this article about the year’s best helmet mounted camera. Which is your favorite action helmet camera? What type of shots do you take most with your camera? What’s your must-have feature for an action camera? Please leave a comment with any feedback, reviews, or experiences you have had with any helmet action camera, we’d love to hear it! Thanks for reading.
As an Amazon affiliate, ThinkVail earns on qualifying purchases